Predefined Secret Key and Team URL

Options
philip_h
philip_h
Community Member

Hey There,
I want to know if there is a way to predefine the Secret Key and Team URL?

Our problem is, that our team starts using Google Docs as password store because they say it takes too long to setup 1Password
(We deploy our Macs weekly).

Regards,
Philip

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

If you can print out the Emergency Kit, that should speed up the Teams setup. Just point the camera at the QR Code within iPassword. At least, that is how things work for iOS. I will have to double check Mac 1Password setup as I set up my Mac months ago.

• Jacob
    edited May 2017
    Options

Hi @philip_h! You can certainly set a sign-in address for your team right when you sign up, and then you can use the sign up link to invite your team all at once. All they need is an email address with a domain that you set, like philiph.com, and they'll be able to sign up for an account right then and there. :)

The Secret Key is a bit different. It is half of what encrypts your team's data on the server, the other half being the Master Password. If it were predefined, that would significantly decrease the security of your team. The Secret Key is used to strengthen the Master Password, in case one of your team members uses a weaker one. It's a 128-bit string of characters generated when each team member signs up, and they all have unique ones so there's not one shared access point to your team's data. Check out this article for some details on why we created the Secret Key and why you need it:

About your Secret Key

So on that note, you mentioned it's taking too long for your team to set up 1Password. Once you've either invited them to the team, of they've used the sign up link I mentioned above, you or another admin needs to confirm that they are indeed a member of the team, then they can install the 1Password app on their devices and sign in to their account using their setup code, which adds the email address, sign-in address, and Secret Key automatically so they don't have to type it. To start saving and using their passwords, they can get the browser extensions. They can also import their existing data from Google Docs in a CSV format if they'd like.

Hope that helps answer your questions and get some ideas flowing. :) Let us know if you have some other questions!

• Jacob
    Options

@philip_h On second thought, it sounds like you might be re-imaging your Macs each week. If that's the case, the easiest way to set things up again would be with the Setup Code I mentioned in my last comment. It'll add the three basic account details (email, sign-in address, and Secret Key) and all they need is their Master Password. They can get the Setup Code from their Emergency Kit as well, or from an iOS device if that's consistently signed in. That's the best route for now. Hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.