Duplicate Vault and Syncing

choreo
choreo
Community Member

Actually (2) questions I guess.

I have been using 1Password (purchased from Apple App Store about a year ago) on both my Desktop Mac Pro and on my Powerbook Pro. I did not have a "subscription" to your service, just downloaded and installed the apps on each device from the App Store. The passwords were syncing between the two devices I am guessing via iCloud>iCloud Drive (as 1Password is listed there along with Password Mini)?

Last night, I signed up for your subscription service for the first time since I decided to add the 1Password App to my new iPad Pro as well. I now have that App installed on my iPad Pro and it appears to be working (passwords are syncing somehow).

1) Somehow I now show TWO DUPLICATE vaults - one named Primary and the other named Personal on all three of my devices? However, if I login to your website (my.1Password.com), under "Your Vaults", I see only the "Personal" vault listed (not the "Primary" vault). So my first question is how to I delete either of the duplicate vaults and which one should I delete?

2) Now that I have your subscription service, do I still need to leave the iCloud Drive syncing enabled on my two Macs or should I delete that syncing method? I have not idea how the Subscription works and if it replaces that syncing functionality since I did not enable any syncing through Apple on my iPad last night and it appears to be working?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @choreo,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help! I'm glad to hear you've signed up for a 1Password.com account.

From your description, you've signed into your new account in the 1Password app on each device, and you also copied all your items from the old Primary vault to the new Personal account vault. So you're on the right track, and the reason you're seeing "duplicate vaults" is that you still have the old Primary vault. Just to give a brief explanation about the Primary and Personal vaults:

• The Primary vault is the one you were using before you signed up for an account. It's a separate vault that is only stored locally on your device unless you sync it with iCloud or Dropbox. The Primary vault is not part of your 1Password.com account, so you won't see it on 1Password.com.

• The Personal vault is part of your 1Password.com account. The items in your account vault(s) will automatically sync between your devices as long as you're signed into that account in the 1Password app. Your account data syncs through our own servers, so it doesn't use third party sync options like iCloud or Dropbox.

So, to answer your first question:

...how to I delete either of the duplicate vaults and which one should I delete?

You'll need to delete the old Primary vault from each device. On each Mac, open & unlock the main 1Password app, switch to the Primary vault (use the vault drop-down menu in the top left corner of the window), then go to 1Password > Delete Vault... in the menu bar. On your iPad Pro, open 1Password and go to Settings > Vaults > Primary > Delete Vault.

2) Now that I have your subscription service, do I still need to leave the iCloud Drive syncing enabled on my two Macs or should I delete that syncing method?

You no longer need to sync your 1Password data via iCloud. But we make that easy for you, so you don't actually need to do anything about that. Once you've deleted the Primary vault, you won't see the Sync settings in 1Password anymore because they're no longer needed (as I mentioned above, your 1Password.com account automatically syncs via our own servers, so there are no sync settings to configure).

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have more questions about that. Have a great weekend! :)

• choreo
    choreo
    Community Member

Drew, thanks for the response - looks like I am making progress!

I opened 1Password on my Mac Pro Desktop and deleted the Primary Vault, so all that is left there now is my Personal vault as expected.

I then opened my iPad Pro and deleted the Primary vault there as well.

I then opened 1Password on the Mac Pro and made a change to one of my Credit Cards (as a test) and it updated the information instantly on the iPad Pro - so the Mac Pro and the iPad Pro appear to be syncing perfectly and both now show just the Personal vault info.

I then opened the MacBook Pro, but that still has a sync issue apparently. Here is what I am seeing...

On the Mac Pro:

• If I click the 1Password icon in the Apple Menu Bar, I see my personal portrait avatar to the left of the Search 1Password at the top which indicates that it is displaying my Personal Vault (as expected since that is all that is left).
    • If I open iCloud>iCloud Drive I still see both 1Password and 1Password Mini activated (if that matters).

On the MacBook Pro:

• If I click the 1Password icon in the Apple Menu Bar I don't see my personal portrait avatar to the left of the Search 1Password at the top - I instead see the generic 1Password icon (so I am guessing this machine still sees the Primary vault, but I don't see an option to switch to my Personal Vault anywhere)?
    • If I open iCloud>iCloud Drive I still see only 1Password Mini activated.
    • The change I made to the Credit Card info on the Mac Pro does not show up.

Any ideas on what I need to do to bring my MacBook Pro into the fold?

Thanks!

• choreo
    choreo
    Community Member

I spent some more time on this tonight and finally got the MacBook Pro to see the Personal Account and sync up with everything else by going to Preferences>Accounts and adding the subscription service there. I then deleted the Primary vault just like I did in my Mac Pro. Everything appears to be working perfectly now.

So the only question I have left is:
    iCloud on Mac Pro still shows a checkmark (listed and activated) next to 1Password and 1Password Mini
    iCloud on MacBook Pro still shows a checkmark (listed and activated) next to 1Password Mini only

Should I remove ALL the iCloud settings above, just some of them or leave these as they are?

Thanks!

• Hi @choreo,

Once you're setup to be using the 1Password.com account everywhere there's no real need for 1Password to use anything in iCloud so you should be safe to uncheck them all.

Cheers.

Rick

• choreo
    choreo
    Community Member

Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Rick, you're very welcome! We're here for you if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.