To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Multiple accounts on multiple macs--how to set up?

phphoto
phphoto
Community Member

I have a 1Pass account I use for personal and business on several Macs and devices. I want to add a family account for the rest of my family (3 humans) to begin using 1Pass on the home Mac and on all their Macs and devices. How do we set that up? For ex. on the home Mac 1Pass already exists, so once we purchase a family plan are we all accessing the same 1Pass app but entering our individual passwords? Can I speak to a human at Agile Bits about this so we don't spend a week writing texts and asking questions to clarify?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:multiple accounts on one mac

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I have a 1Pass account I use for personal and business on several Macs and devices. I want to add a family account for the rest of my family (3 humans) to begin using 1Pass on the home Mac and on all their Macs and devices. How do we set that up?

@phphoto: If it's important to you to keep your business separate, you can create a 1Password Families account and use that as well. That will include 5 members at the base price, so everyone can choose their own Master Password, have a Private vault all to themselves, and access to any vaults you share with them.

On the other hand, you could also just add them to a 1Password Teams account. For them it would be the same, but you'd have more control over permissions and not have to use multiple accounts yourself. It all depends on what you prefer. Just an idea.

For ex. on the home Mac 1Pass already exists, so once we purchase a family plan are we all accessing the same 1Pass app but entering our individual passwords?

1Password isn't a multi-user app, so they'd each need to install 1Password in their own user account on the computer and set it up with their own 1Password.com account. It's great to be able to easily (and securely) share data, but generally we don't want to share everything. Just have them follow the steps in this guide once you've sent them the invite:

Get started with 1Password

Can I speak to a human at Agile Bits about this so we don't spend a week writing texts and asking questions to clarify?

All the humans here at AgileBits are happy to help. Just let us know if you have any other questions. Cheers! :)

• rina
    rina
    Community Member

My problem is similar, but I will need a different solution.

I have had a private account for the last 10 years or so.

Recently, I also got an account provided by my office.

I would like to be able to access both accounts on my various devices. Is there a way to do this?

Thank you!

• @rina Absolutely! You can sign in to both of the accounts in the 1Password apps on your devices:

Sign in to your 1Password account on a new device

If you need to move items between them at some point, you can also do that. Be sure to set a vault for saving new items so they go to the right place. :)

• mosesdavis
    mosesdavis
    Community Member

Please help. I am SO lost. I have 1Password set up on my iMac at home and it's perfectly working for the past few years. I also have it on my iPad and iPhone. I now have a new computer at work and trying to set it up on there and it's not letting me . It's asking me to scan from my phone. It does not give me access to a Secret Key on my phone. I have no idea what a secret key is. I don't ever remember setting one up or an Emergency key. Why am I so lost with this? Can someone please help and tell me step by step like I'm a three year old and not a computer tech?

• Hi @mosesdavis - Sorry for the troubles. May I ask how you're currently syncing your 1Password data - iCloud or Dropbox? Is the computer you're setting up a Mac or PC? Sorry for all the questions, this will give me a better understanding on how to better assist you.

If this is a Mac, please follow the steps below:

Open 1Password, from the welcome screen, under "Already using 1Password" choose iCloud or Dropbox, the same sync source you're using on your other devices.

Let us know if this helped or if you have any additional questions. We'll do our best to help out.

• mosesdavis
    mosesdavis
    Community Member

Ok. I actually left the office for the day and won't be back until next week. I'll try this out when I return. However, I have a Mac. I have things synced with iCloud, but I don't ever remember setting anything up with 1password over iCloud. Again, I've had my account for a few years so I don't know if anything changed. In fact, when I try to sign in to 1password online, it tells me that I don't have an account registered. I think I just purchased a license. I checked and it said I purchased it Nov. 19, 2014. I didn't have to register for an account then.

• Hi @mosesdavis - Sorry for the confusion. A 1Password membership, which is a subscription based account, is separate from the standalone license you purchased in 2014.

With a 1Password memberships all of our apps (Windows, Mac, Pro features for iOS & Android) are included even future paid upgrades since it's built into the monthly pricing. You can also access your 1Password data from any device via the web. There is no sync set up required since we take care of all the syncing on our end. It’s more secure, your data is fully encrypted using a randomized unique Secret Key in conjunction with your Master Password (only you know the keys to decrypt your data). This also includes data recovery, you just have to sign into 1Password using your login credentials and your data will already be there waiting for you.

The standalone license you're using gives you access to 1Password for Mac and you have to set up a sync source using iCloud or Dropbox to keep all your devices in sync.

You mentioned that you were using iCloud as a sync source. If the computer you're setting up at work is a Mac, then from the welcome screen, under Already using 1Password select iCloud as a sync source then enter your Master Password.

Keep us posted we'll be here to help if you run into any questions. Have a great day!

This discussion has been closed.