Create shared vault where organizer cannot give access to itself

rafaelcds
rafaelcds
Community Member

The only restriction I'm not happy about the 1password family is that users cannot create a vault that the organizer cannot see.
Example: I'm the family organizer and my wife wants to have a vault that only she and my daughter can read/edit.
Since I'm the organizer, I'm able to add myself to that vault.
A workaround could be: 1password would at least email my daughter and wife saying that another person was added - on this case that the organizer added itself to that vault.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• franzejr
    franzejr
    Community Member

I really want this feature. Is it possible? This is the same thing of creating a second private vault, but it seems it's not possible on a family account. :angry:

• Hi @rafaelcds & @franzejr - Thank you for for reaching out to us. You're correct, if someone has been promoted to a "Family Organizer" they have the ability to add themselves to any vault. They won't be able to view the vault until they have been added. I agree, we can improve this a bit more.

I appreciate you both for taking the time to let us know this is something you would like to see improved upon in the future. I will definitely mention this to my team. Your feedback is very much appreciated. As I mentioned before, until the other "Family Organizer" is added to that specific vault, it won't show up on their devices and their dashboard when they log into the 1Password Families account. Sorry for not having a better solution for you at the moment.

Have a fantastic day and let us know if you have any additional questions. :smile: We're always happen to help out.

• franzejr
    franzejr
    Community Member

Unfortunately, I've just canceled my Family account because of that. Hope you guys can improve it more.

• rafaelcds
    rafaelcds
    Community Member

Hi Frank,
    Thanks for your promptly response.
    I was exploring the family-plan trial to see if it would work for me and this was the only no-go. I'd need two family accounts for my use case.
    I'm very antsy to see the ability to create a vault that can be shared with family members where the organizers cannot add themselves.

Thanks.

• Hi @rafaelcds - You're very welcome. I wish I had better news to share with you. "Family Organizer" can't see the vault unless they are added. You can keep everyone as a "family member" for the time being and they won't have the superpowers to add themselves to a vault you created. Just make sure you print out your Emergency Kit for recovery purposes. Again, sorry for not having a better solution to provide you with and I'll make sure to mention this to my team. I really appreciate you taking the time to send over the feedback, it will only help us make 1Password Families even better. :+1:

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I wasn't sure whether to open a new one with the same topic.
    I too would need a way to create a vault that is not accessible by a family organizer, at least not without notice. The background is that I would like to have a vault where I store my business-related items and I do not want to expose that to others.
    The alternative would be to additionally have an individual 1Password.com account, but that would increase the subscription cost considerably.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2017

This is certainly something we've been considering, Thanks for chiming in, @Manaburner. :)

Ben

ref: B5 1468

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

:+1: Thank you

• :+1: :)

Ben

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

I just hope this won't be for new users only :pirate:

• I don't see why that would be the case if it were to be implemented. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.