unable to retrieve wireless router base station password

btang88
btang88
Community Member

over the years I have created few wireless router base station entries, one of the field is "base station password". Clicking through the list, some of them shows the base station password but some don't (only shows wireless network password). I am trying to retrieve the base station password from one of this entry, it doesn't show it when I just click on it, however if I click on the "Edit" button, I do see the entry, but there is no way I can get the current value since when I click on the field it just clears it.

How do I retrieve it? Why are some of the items shows it and some don't? How do I set it so all the fields are displayed when I click on items. I have tried to access the same information on Mac or through iOS APP, all behaved the same way.

1Password Version: 6.7 (670008)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:unretrievable password

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @btang88,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help! Just to be sure I understand: When you view some of your Wireless Router items in 1Password, some don't show a 'base station password'. If you click Edit, you can see that field and it looks like there's a password there because you see some black dots, but when you click on it, the field is empty. Is that all correct?

If so, that means there isn't a base station password in that item. That's why you don't even see the field at all unless you click Edit, and it's why the field is empty when you click on it in edit mode. Because it's a 'password' field, it will always show those black dots in edit mode when the 'Conceal Passwords' option is enabled, even if that field doesn't contain any text.

So, you most likely never entered a base station password in that field when you created that item. Or if you did, but deleted that password by accident at some point, that item would have a "show previously used passwords" button near the bottom of the item details (if you don't see that button, that item never had a base station password).

How do I set it so all the fields are displayed when I click on items.

When viewing an item, it will show you all the fields that contain text. When you click 'Edit', you'll also see the default fields that are empty.

If you want to always see passwords instead of the dots, you can go to the View menu and disable the option for Conceal Passwords. Or you can hold down the option key on your keyboard to temporarily see them. Of course, this only works for password fields that actually contain passwords, so I'm afraid it won't help in this situation.

I hope this helps to clear up the confusion about that. If you have more questions, please let us know! :)

This discussion has been closed.