Where is the option for an ANNUAL membership in the IOS app?

OztackOztack
edited July 2017 in Purchasing

Hi,
finished my trial of 1password and WANT to subscribe. Disappointed to see I can't subscribe via papal so I decided on the (more expensive in Australia - but possibly more secure) Apple App store subscription.
*The App store (both on th iMac and ios) shows an annual subscription available as an in-app purchase. *
However in my ios app it shows me the account is frozen (as expected) and offers a 1 month subscription only. (Settings -> your accounts -> subscribe now for $x.xx) If I follow that link it is indeed for 1 month as far as I can see. HOW do I get the annual subscription from within the ios app? Or at least via the app store?

Tim

================

PS I am assuming of course that subscribing via the app store or directly through the agilebits website gives me IDENTICAL abilities/facilities/option. ie I can use it on my mac/iphone/windpws machine/ipad etc etc.......?

================

PPS just saw a thread below that said you could change the subscription form monthly to annual in the app store

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/79442/itunes-in-app-purchase-annual-subscription

However, I, too, do not have the subscriptions option in my app store account settings.... and the included link in the post above just gives me a blank subscriptions page... Do I need to have an active subscription (monthly) first before I can change it to Annual? Does that mean I have to subscribe - effectively - for 13 months?

1Password Version: Current ios
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Ios 10.3.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@Oztack: Thanks for reaching out, Tim! Apple subscriptions are pretty convenient, but you're right that this can be confusing to navigate sometimes.

I and others I know have had some pretty not-so-great experiences with PayPal, so I won't comment on that. I'm pretty biased. We may be able to support that in the future, but it isn't something we're working on right now. So I'll focus on answering your questions:

HOW do I get the annual subscription from within the ios app? Or at least via the app store?

Currently it isn't possible to select a different plan in 1Password itself, though it's something we hope we'll be able to offer in the future. Apple subscriptions have to be managed through Apple, so you'd need to sign up in 1Password and then select a different plan through iOS Settings:

View, change, or cancel your subscriptions

However, you may want to consider subscribing directly though 1Password.com though, as we have a lot more control over how that works and it's more flexible for both seeing and choosing from available plans, and also removing or changing your credit card information. Just a thought.

PS I am assuming of course that subscribing via the app store or directly through the agilebits website gives me IDENTICAL abilities/facilities/option. ie I can use it on my mac/iphone/windpws machine/ipad etc etc.......?

Correct. Everything is exactly the same except the billing stuff.

Do I need to have an active subscription (monthly) first before I can change it to Annual? Does that mean I have to subscribe - effectively - for 13 months?

Close. The Apple subscription settings will show both active subscriptions and any you've had in the past. So for example I've got my current Apple Music and Netflix subscriptions there, along with some others I've since cancelled. I hope this helps! :)

• Ok thanks Brenty - looks like Apple needs to be more transparent and flexible with their subscription options..... IMHO ;)
    I will subscribe via 1password.com I guess. Thanks for the quick answer!

• aaaaannnnd.... Done :D

• brentybrenty

Team Member

I wouldn't be too hard on Apple. They do a lot of stuff, and it's much easier than it used to be. I'm sure they'll improve it in time and it will probably become easier as we get used to it as well! Anyway, glad that helped. We're here if you need anything else! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.