Installation Questions (Purchase and Sync options)

abwagsabwags
edited July 2017 in Purchasing

Background: I am trying to load 1Password on my iPhone for the first time. As a result, I went to 1password.com on my iphone and initiated the process there. My ultimate goal will be to sync my iPhone with my Mac laptop (once I download it on my laptop as well).

Questions

1. After I click on the 1password app that just downloaded to my iPhone, should I click on "Start my trial" or one of the options under "Already Using 1Password?". I wasn't sure if I should use "Already Using 1Password" since I now have an account I created at the 1Password website.
    Eventually I want to be able to use the WLAN server option between the iPhone and MAC desktop so that I don't have to have anything up in the cloud.

2. On the 1password.com website, it said I will be charged 2.99 a month. However, if I click "Start my trial", it says 3.99 a month??? How do I ensure I will only be charged 2.99 a month?

3. If I select "Create a standalone vault", then I am prompted to "Enter a new Master Password." However, I thought I just created that at the 1Password website? Is this a separate password than the one I created after receiving my Secret Key?

Confused,
Tim
[Removed by AgileBits]

1Password Version: Don't know, still in setup mode
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iPhone 10.2.1
Sync Type: Would like to eventually set up WLAN
Referrer: forum-search:3.99 instead of 2.99?

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi Tim,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

Before you get too much further I'd recommend reading this blog post:

AgileBits Blog | Why We Love 1Password Memberships

We really wouldn't recommend using a local vault, nor would we recommend using the WLAN server if you do choose to use a local vault. This would be the most technically complex setup possible with 1Password, and unfortunately I'm just not sure that it'll give you what you're looking for. I'd hate for you to go that route, and walk away from 1Password with a bad taste in your mouth because of it.

We feel the best way to use 1Password is with 1Password.com membership (including 1Password.com based vaults). You can read about some of the advantages of that arrangement here:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

If you've already signed up for a 1Password.com membership (which it sounds like you have) please see this guide for information about adding that membership to your devices:

Sign in to your 1Password account on a new device - 1Password Support

On the 1password.com website, it said I will be charged 2.99 a month. However, if I click "Start my trial", it says 3.99 a month??? How do I ensure I will only be charged 2.99 a month?

With the former you're being billed by us, and the billing is annually at a 20% discount (though the price is broken down to the monthly cost). With the latter billing is handled through Apple, and they list the price when billed monthly, which costs 20% more than the annual billing.

Since you already have your account created, I wouldn't recommend setting up another trial through Apple. To set up your subscription through us with the account you've already created please see this guide:

How to manage your 1Password subscription - 1Password Support

If I select "Create a standalone vault", then I am prompted to "Enter a new Master Password." However, I thought I just created that at the 1Password website? Is this a separate password than the one I created after receiving my Secret Key?

If you were to create a standalone / local vault then the Master Password for that would be entirely separate from that of your 1Password.com membership account, yes. Again that would not be the route we'd recommend.

Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.