Licensing for Windows?

SystemSystem

Team Member
This discussion was created from comments split from: Standalone license to purchase.

Comments

• Hi, let me start by saying I am a huge fan of 1password and have purchased licenses to use on android, mac and ios. I use wifi sync and want to continue using wifi sync.
    Has the license option been withdrawn from windows?
    I have been reading things in the media about the "push" to get people onto membership schemes. I am very happy with what I am using at the moment but I have the fear that at some point you are going to stop updating one of my license plans and force me over to a membership plan.....when we were told I believe each license plan was for life.
    Hoping you can put my mind at rest (and maybe others) so I can just go on using 1password happily every day without a worry. It really is by far the best password manager and an essential tool for life today. Thanks!

• idontnoidontno
    edited July 2017

I am in full agreement with cjcjcj. I agonized about which password manager to use. I am paranoid about security & privacy and so read everything I could find about the design of 1PW when making my decision. One of the factors that influenced my decision, and it was a feature that Agile Bits stressed at the time - the vault is local - the key that is generated from the master password and the master PW itself, never leave my local machine. A nice security model that avoids the hack that its competitor LastPass experienced.

I was concerned about using dropbox as a mechanism to sync vaults between machines - only the observation that the vault is only ever replicated, not opened, and that processing is local reassured me enough to go with the product - a product that I am more than happy with.

Please be advised Agile Bits, the day you drop support for standalone vaults will be the day I replace your product with something else.
    I think it is a breach of faith with your customers that in pursuing a subscription model you abandon those who decided to purchase outright, and who like me, prefer the local vault model you sold them.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi folks,

Thanks for taking the time to write in and share your thoughts and concerns. We've addressed many of these points in a recent post, here:

AgileBits Blog | Why We Love 1Password Memberships

Local vaults are great for power users who are comfortable setting up sync themselves, or don't want to sync, and we're keeping them around for that purpose. That said, for less technically experienced users, 1Password membership is a better option, and so that is where we're directing them.

Windows is a challenging story. We've hit many bumps along the road in trying to build the best password manager on the platform, including two complete re-writes. Right now 1Password for Windows does not have local vault support (other than for import). I can't promise that'll change in the future. Our customer base for Windows is primarily 1Password membership customers, and so that is where our efforts are focused. I'd love to be able to announce local vaults for Windows though, and I hope that is something we'll be able to do down the road. For those that have purchased licenses for 1Password 4 for Windows -- those still work, and 1Password 4 for Windows does have full local vault support. We are not on-boarding additional customers for that at this time.

the key that is generated from the master password and the master PW itself, never leave my local machine. A nice security model that avoids the hack that its competitor LastPass experienced.

That is still true even with 1Password membership:

About the 1Password security model - 1Password Support

I was concerned about using dropbox as a mechanism to sync vaults between machines - only the observation that the vault is only ever replicated, not opened, and that processing is local reassured me enough to go with the product - a product that I am more than happy with.

1Password membership is more secure than syncing via Dropbox because in addition to your data being encrypted using your Master Password, and your Master Password never being transmitted, with membership you are also protected from someone stealing the contents of our servers by the Secret Key:

About your Secret Key - 1Password Support

AgileBits never has either the Master Password or the Secret Key, so even our employees cannot decrypt your data. This is not true with Dropbox. Their employees can decrypt data that you store with them (more on this below).

Now as far as 1Password data on Dropbox is concerned: you're still protected because your 1Password data is encrypted using your Master Password before being sent to Dropbox.

From Dropbox's blog:

Like most major online services, we have a small number of employees who must be able to access user data when legally required to do so. But that’s the exception, not the rule. We have strict policy and technical access controls that prohibit employee access except in these rare circumstances.

The difference is that zero AgileBits employees can decrypt data stored in a 1Password membership. This page may also be of interest:

Law Enforcement - 1Password

I don't say this because I think you should be concerned about storing your encrypted 1Password data with Dropbox: I don't. I stored my 1Password data in Dropbox for a good long while before 1Password memberships became available, and if they hadn't I'd still be doing so. I mention it only because we have even more protections in place than what is possible with Dropbox.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.