Options changes lost after system shutdown

yateveo
yateveo
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows
  1. open 1P
  2. change settings (auto-lock, auto sign in, include beta builds, maybe others too)
  3. leave 1P minimized
  4. select Start/Shutdown
  5. on reboot, the changes made are reverted to their original values.

1Password Version: 6.7.442d
Extension Version: 4.6.7.90
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@yateveo: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! I'm not able to reproduce this. I wonder if your settings file is damaged, or if 1Password cannot write to it. If you navigate to %LocalAppData%\1Password\data\, do you see user.json there? If so, try deleting it and then changing some settings in 1Password.

• yateveo
    yateveo
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

Note that if I close 1P the normal way, the settings changes will be saved to disk, but if windows requests all apps to close, your "save to disk' event might not not be getting fired.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@yateveo: Oh, that's interesting. You mean that you're telling Windows to shut down and it's closing 1Password 6, and not saving the settings? It sounds like you're able to save the settings then by manually quitting 1Password prior to that. Is that correct? I'd really like to dig into this deeper though, since that still doesn't match what I'm seeing. I almost never quit 1Password 6 manually (unless I have to to troubleshoot something), so it's always running when I shut down Windows. Maybe the steps you're taking are slightly different though. Can you give me the exact sequence that results in your 1Password 6 settings not being saved?

• yateveo
    yateveo
    Community Member

It does not appear to be as repeatable as it was on the 21st. On the 21st, I set the config and closed the app and reopened it and it did not lose changes. rebooted a few times and it did not lose changes. Three days later, the lock timeout had changed from 8 hours to the default setting and the EFS setting was turned off. Today, I changed them back and have rebooted several times without issue. Also, the recreated json file was exactly the same as the original.

• Hey, @yateveo! I'm glad it seems to have been a one-off at least. If the issue crops up again, please let us know. The more detail you can provide about what you did before, of course the better. Cheers! :chuffed:

• yateveo
    yateveo
    Community Member

This problem has continued to occur, though not as often as the first beta release.
    When these settings revert, they all do so at once.
    Current version: 6.7.454
    The following settings revert to the default values:
    Lock when computer is locked
    Lock after computer is idle for
    Automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords
    Include beta builds
    Enable encrypting file system (EFS) when saving documents

• That's no good, @yateveo! Some of those settings are definitely ones you want to make sure stick! Like brenty I also typically shut down with 1Password still running and, despite fussing with my settings often, haven't noticed this ever happens to me. Intermittent issues are always tough to diagnose since repetition is often a key component of troubleshooting, but we want to do what we can to pinpoint the problem.

Like brenty mentioned, the more specific you can be about what leads to this problem, the more likely we'll be able to reproduce it. Could you expound on what you mean by "close 1Password the normal way"? Are you talking about just clicking the X to close the main Window, or are you exiting 1Password via the right-click menu from the icon in your notification area?

• yateveo
    yateveo
    Community Member

Settings I use:
    Lock when computer is locked: no
    Lock after computer is idle for: 8 hours
    Automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords: off
    Include beta builds: yes
    Enable encrypting file system (EFS) when saving documents: yes

Typical usage:
    boot up computer.
    start 1P and enter password, minimize.
    do stuff...
    visit site, click on 1P chrome extension, see list of matching 1P entries.

sometimes, instead of the list of matching entries, I get a prompt for 1P password, check 1P settings and notice they have reverted to defaults.

• Thanks for the additional detail, @yateveo! That sounds much like how I use 1Password, which is a bit puzzling, but we'll keep digging around for clues. It sounds like this actually isn't related at all to exiting 1Password specifically, then, and can just happen while 1Password is in use? Grasping at some straws here, but I don't suppose there's anything in particular that seems to trigger this reversion?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@yateveo: Did you see my earlier comment/question? It really sounds like 1Password just isn't able to save the settings. Let me know what you find!

• yateveo
    yateveo
    Community Member

@brenty: Yes, I have also uninstalled and removed the AppData folder as well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@yateveo: Then that would seem to point to something else locking the files, preventing the settings from being updated, rather than a disk permissions issue. Do you have "security" software which might be interfering? We've seen cases where something scanning the files locked them and prevented 1Password from updating/saving. It might help to exclude, or have these operations run when the machine is not in use.

• yateveo
    yateveo
    Community Member

@brenty: The security software is IT mandated, so nothing can be done there. I do notice that it is not the entire json file getting deleted, only the settings sections. The windows positions in the json file are still there, just the other settings are getting removed all at once.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@yateveo: Wait, parts of the file are being deleted? I'm not sure there's anything you or I can do to prevent that, but it may be helpful to others if you'd share what you're using on that machine, in case it affects someone else as well, even if you don't have control over it. I'm just not seeing any behaviour like that here with Windows Defender. Are you able to boot into Safe Mode to see if it happens there as well, or test on another machine? I kind of suspect that rather than deleting, it may just be restoring an older version of the file before it was modified. Are you able to verify the timestamp?

• yateveo
    yateveo
    Community Member

@brenty: I have been using BeyondCompare to monitor the json file. This is what is actually happening. Upon windows shutdown, a 0 byte file is written to user.json. The timestamp matches the time of shutdown. Upon bootup, I see the empty file. Upon starting 1P and logging in, a new default user.json file is written. Note that this never happens when I close 1P before shutdown.

• @yateveo thanks for the details, we use single call to the system to write that file, but perhaps something is wrong at the shutdown time. That actually mirrors my experience with some other files that got zeroed, but I was on Insider build. Anyway, I have some ideas how we can improve here, once again thank you!

• yateveo
    yateveo
    Community Member

This problem has not occurred in the last few weeks. So I assume one of the updates have fixed it.

• @yateveo: Glad to hear it! I'll be sure to let @SergeyTheAgile know it seems one of his ideas helped. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.