Chromium browser on Ubuntu

I am very happy to report that I am running the plug-in in the Chromium browser on Ubuntu 16.04. :)

Chromium 60.0.3112.78 (Developer Build) Built on Ubuntu , running on Ubuntu 16.04 (64-bit)
Revision a06489456eeba3939f2f058a4e5bd6178e7b3bb9-
OS Linux
JavaScript V8 6.0.286.44
Flash (Disabled)
User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Ubuntu Chromium/60.0.3112.78 Chrome/60.0.3112.78 Safari/537.36
Command Line /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser --enable-pinch --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end
Executable Path /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser
Profile Path /home/tim/.config/chromium/Default

The plug-in installed without any issues. I was a bit worried about it because some plug-ins actually require Google's Chrome, but this one seems to work out-of-the box on Chromium. I'm not sure if it is the default for Ubuntu now, but at least it was for a while, and some people prefer a browser without the Google branding and extensions (personally I run Chromium because it was the default when I installed Ubuntu).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Ubuntu 16.04
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey @timpeeters,

Welcome to the 1Password for Chrome beta!

Thanks for posting your experience with using Chromium! Your results are exactly as I expected since there are very few differences between Google Chrome and Chromium.

I'm not sure if it is the default for Ubuntu now, but at least it was for a while, and some people prefer a browser without the Google branding and extensions (personally I run Chromium because it was the default when I installed Ubuntu).

Chromium is and will likely remain the default web browser for many Linux based operating systems since it only contains open source packages. This also allows individual Linux distributions to modify it as they see fit.

In my opinion, the only real differences (from a technical standpoint) between Chrome and Chromium support are:
    1. What video and audio codecs are included
    2. The version of Flash and how if it is sandboxed
    3. Who is signing and distributing the browser

Thanks again for posting, I hope you have a great week!

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.