Why is 1Password mini running? I'm not using it.

luccallens
luccallens
Community Member

Hi,

I'm on Mac OS 10.12.6, 1Password v6.8.1
I'm not using 1Password mini, it's unticked in preferences and I have no browser extensions installed. Why do I see 1Password mini running in Activity Monitor?
This wouldn't trouble me all that much if it wasn't that, since 1Password's latest update (around August 24), suddenly I notice 1Password mini using way too much CPU power and when on battery it's always the top one or two apps using significant battery power.

After careful consideration I've concluded that this is rather annoying ;). Any suggestions? Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@luccallens: 1Password mini is 1Password. If you're viewing your data in the main 1Password window, that's 1Password mini working behind the scenes. Similarly, if you're using the 1Password extension in your browser, it's also 1Password mini that makes that possible. Unless you close 1Password completely (⌃ ⌥ ⌘ Q), it will be running if you interacted with 1Password in some way. Can you be more specific about the issue you're having? 1Password should use the same amount of CPU regardless of whether you're running on battery or plugged in, depending on what it's doing.

• luccallens
    luccallens
    Community Member

@brenty Here's what I wrote "too much CPU power and when on battery it's always the top one or two apps using significant battery power." that's quite different then "use the same amount of CPU regardless of whether you're running on battery or plugged in, depending on what it's doing."
    So what I'm saying is 1) it uses too much CPU power (between 70% and 99%) and 2) it uses too much battery power than it used to do.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017

@luccallens: 70% - 90% is way higher than normal (especially if you're not using 1Password), which leads me to believe something else is going on that shouldn't be.

Here's what I see in Activity Monitor for 1Password Mini (on battery):
    Avg Energy Impact: 0.24 – (for reference Google Chrome is currently at 209.44 :( )
    % CPU: 0.1

To get a better idea of what might be causing your performance issue, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

It would be great if you could also gather a Sample of the 1Password Mini process while it's within this 70% - 90% range.

To do that:
    1. Open Activity Monitor.
    2. Find the "1Password Mini" process and select it.
    3. Click the "i" button at the top of Activity Monitor.
    4. In the new window that opens, there will be a button at the bottom called "Sample". Please click it.
    5. Another new window will appear, and it will sample the process. Once complete (should only take a few seconds) - it should have a "Save" button in the top-right.

Please email both to support@agilebits.com and add the following code (including the square brackets) to the subject of your email:

[#MQU-25647-398]

Thank you very much and hopefully, we can get to the bottom of this for you!

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

ref: XNN-11618-869

• luccallens
    luccallens
    Community Member

@beyer Hi, I actually emailed you guys first (to support@agilebits.com) a few days ago. Including screenshots of the processes and battery usage, not reply yet tho.
    However you mention "especially if you're not using 1Password", I didn't say that, I said "I'm not using 1Password mini". 1Password App behaves like a good boy, it's 1Password Mini App that's acting up.

I will now do the stuff you asked me to do and send it to support@agilebits.com with code [#MQU-25647-398]

Thanks

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017

@luccallens: Great, I look forward to seeing what you send over.

However you mention "especially if you're not using 1Password", I didn't say that, I said "I'm not using 1Password mini". 1Password App behaves like a good boy, it's 1Password Mini App that's acting up.

As @brenty mentioned, if you're running the 1Password app, you actually are using 1Password Mini (the process). It's not super intuitive, but 1Password Mini is the workhorse for the 1Password app. It handles everything behind the scenes like the encryption and syncing of your 1Password data.

We'll take a look at your diagnostics report and let you know what we find out. :+1:

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

ref: XNN-11618-869

• luccallens
    luccallens
    Community Member

@beyer
    Hi Andrew, sent already.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, we'll take a look and get back to you shortly.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• luccallens
    luccallens
    Community Member

@beyer
    Hi Andrew, any updates on the email I sent? Highly unusual it that's 2 or more days for 1Password support to reply. Hope I don't have to get worried?

Thanks

• @luccallens,

I apologize for the delay. Whatever is happening is seemingly fairly difficult to track down. Our team is still looking into the issue for you and will be back with you via email as soon as we have more information to share or questions to ask.

Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.