sending a copy of an item fails in the web version

I just enabled the beta feature to be able to securely send a new initial password to a colleage. Unfortunately I can not send it through the web version. The following error pops up:
Failed to send item:
Cannot read property 'encrypt' of null

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @ddewit! Sorry about that. The most recent version of the web app broke the item sending feature, and we're working on a fix for it. I'm hoping we can have it ready shortly. Thanks for the patience. :)

ref: B5-3186

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ddewit! Just to give you an update on this; our team here just pushed out an update which includes the fix for this issue - you should now be able to use the feature as intended! :+1:

• ddewit
    ddewit
    Community Member

Thanks guys, it works perfectly now!

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

@ddewit Great to hear! Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you! :chuffed:

• ddewit
    ddewit
    Community Member

@john_m What I wanted to use this feature for was creating an initial password for a user. It would be great if I could actually create the item directly in his personal vault instead of creating it in my own vault, and then copying to the user's.

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for your feedback @ddewit! Personal vaults are (by design) only accessible by the one member they belong to, so it's not possible for someone else (even an owner or administrator) to be able to access it to directly create items there. At the moment, the best way to do it is to use the "Send a copy..." feature as you're doing at the moment. I'll pass along your feedback to our development team though, in case they can think of a better way to do something more like what you want in a secure fashion in the future! :+1:

• ddewit
    ddewit
    Community Member

Thanks for passing it along @john_m!
    By sending a copy I am already effectively accessing the personal vault, I just can not read anything in it. What I would like is something like the 'Send a copy...' functionality without having to save the item first. Permission wise there is no difference.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ddewit: Vault access isn't enforced merely through "permissions". You definitely cannot access the contents of someone else's Personal/Private vault, no more than they can access yours. Only the owner has the keys to decrypt the data. 1Password Teams can only send data to someone else's vault because of the same ("public") key exchange that happens when users join the team, which also enables shared vaults. It's definitely a cool idea though, and something which may be possible using the (beta) CLI app down the road. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.