Windows 10 mobile

Options
tylex
tylex
Community Member

As the „my Library“ version of 1Password is not working with the Family account anymore, is there’s way to get an updated version?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tylex: There isn't. We'd like to have a new version available in the future, but right now our priority is the new Windows desktop app, and preparations for the next major version. The Windows mobile alpha/beta can continue to work as a standalone app on your device if you "purchased" it previously (it's no longer available for new customers), or you cold use the 1Password.com web interface. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you now, but that's the current status.

• tylex
    tylex
    Community Member
    Options

No problem, and thank you for the quick answer.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're not only very welcome, you're also incredibly understanding. I'm sorry I don't have a better solution to offer you at this time. Thanks again for getting in touch! :blush:

• architect1337
    architect1337
    Community Member
    Options

Can I add a request for online users that Agilebits create a mobile friendly website then for those that don't have access to a client? The family website works ok now, but had obviously been designed for a desktop. Bigger icons etc would be great and you can obviously detect if a mobile or desktop device is connecting. Simple copy and paste is usually good enough for me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@architect1337: I really appreciate you bringing this up. I can't say that this is something we'll be able to do, but it wold be nice to have. The tough thing is that, while "responsive design" is relatively commonplace now, 1Password.com is a different sort of beast since it needs to do so much that other websites don't need to.

Can I ask you this: obviously the site is not formatted appropriately for a small screen, but do you find it acceptable otherwise? Due to the crypto going on there, I've found it to be not great on mobile devices. Certainly, better than nothing. But I'd be interested to get your take on it. We won't be able to redesign it from scratch as it's just infeasible, but perhaps there are tweaks that we can make in the future that will help.

• architect1337
    architect1337
    Community Member
    Options

The site is fine on the big screen but just about usable on the small screen. It's important to realise that I wouldn't expect a phone to be my primary access point to the site - most Family or Team members, I would think, would have access to a desktop.

My primary use case would be, when I'm out and about, to be able to log in, look up a password or a piece of data (e.g. passport number) and be able to copy and paste it to another app. That's pretty much it.

So performance wise, on a Lumia 950XL, when I first enter the new secret key for a new installation, it took 27 seconds to log in. I understand there is a lot of crypto going on there - but as long as you know it's going to take this long, you accept it.

I then see three vaults. Interestingly, you can tap anywhere in those vaults (not just the 'open vault') link, to get into the vault. Perhaps, on mobile devices (your web server can be set up to serve slightly different pages depending on whether the client is desktop or mobile), these squares are coloured in such a way that it's obvious you can tap on the whole square and also remove the 'small links' to tidy the page up and avoid confusion.

Once into the Vault, you are drawn into the 'search' field, which is good and can search for what you want e.g. the browser will focus in on search and you can type in 'passport' for example. Performance in here is as you would expect.

Finally, if you want to copy and paste a password, certainly on Windows 10 mobile, you'll see a number of dots representing the password. If you tap and hold on these dots, both an Edge 'Select all' menu appears and the 1Password 'copy', 'reveal' 'large type' buttons appear. You can tap anywhere to get rid of the Edge 'Select all' menu, then tap on either 'copy', 'reveal' or 'large type' to do what you want. This part works ok - but could be better formatted for a smaller screen.

Equally, 'sign out' is hidden away in a menu at the top. Once you've signed out, some sort of cookie is left as you don't have to use the secret key again, and to log in using your master password now takes 24 seconds.

It's worth noting that the 950XL has a QHD screen so is probably a higher resolution than most mobiles. Then again, the majority of your customers to the web page will be tech savvy Windows 10 mobile Family or Team customers so will probably have a 950, 950XL or HP Elite X3 so probably 1080 would be the smallest resolution?

So change wise - I don't think a huge amount. Usual design guides for mobile, avoid links, make things big, colour/shade to highlight touchable areas etc and you'd be almost there.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@architect1337: This is really interesting feedback! :chuffed:

So performance wise, on a Lumia 950XL, when I first enter the new secret key for a new installation, it took 27 seconds to log in. I understand there is a lot of crypto going on there - but as long as you know it's going to take this long, you accept it.

I think that makes sense, but I appreciate you saying it since I'm not sure this can improve, short of getting a more powerful device. :blush:

I then see three vaults. Interestingly, you can tap anywhere in those vaults (not just the 'open vault') link, to get into the vault. Perhaps, on mobile devices (your web server can be set up to serve slightly different pages depending on whether the client is desktop or mobile), these squares are coloured in such a way that it's obvious you can tap on the whole square and also remove the 'small links' to tidy the page up and avoid confusion.

Unfortunately this was a very intentional change. For a short time, only the "Open Vault" text was a link to...yknow, open the vault in the new web interface. But this confused and frustrated a lot of people — including us — so we changed that. I don't think we'll be changing that (again).

So change wise - I don't think a huge amount. Usual design guides for mobile, avoid links, make things big, colour/shade to highlight touchable areas etc and you'd be almost there.

Got it. It sounds like for the most part it isn't so bad in the areas I was most concerned about — performance, for example. We want to make sure we don't make changes that will worsen the experience for the primary platform — the desktop — but perhaps we'll be able to make it more flexible for different screen sizes and input methods. Thank you for sharing your experience! :)

This discussion has been closed.