Read Only Mode - iCloud Family Sharing Purchases not supported?

dcpoppy
dcpoppy
Community Member

Hello,

I purchased 1Password on February 1st 2013 via the Apple App Store under my AppleID. I recently (likely after the most recent update) got stuck in read only mode on my wife's computer. In reading your forum, I saw a similar post suggesting that the problem was the free version was installed under an AppleID other than the original purchase. I have deleted 1Password, gone back to the app store (which is logged in as my wife's account, who is in a family sharing plan with my AppleID) specifically went under purchases, switched to my AppleID (and noted that the purchase date did reflect the 2013 original purchase) but it still indicates read only.

I'm guessing you aren't supporting family sharing - is that correct? If so, can that be fixed? I don't want to have to log into the app store with two different AppleIDs to be able to download updates. Otherwise, thanks for 4+ years of an awesome app!

Chris

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: 4.6.11
OS Version: MacOS 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• bundtkate
    edited September 2017

@dcpoppy: We'd love to still support family sharing, but Apple doesn't allow in-app purchases to be shared, so when 1Password switched to an in-app purchase family sharing stopped working outside of read-only mode. You can fix this now by deleting and reinstalling 1Password with the account you paid for 1Password with, but updates will require signing into your Apple ID. To do so:

1. Make a backup of your data by choosing "File > Backup" from the menu bar in 1Password,
    2. Quit 1Password and 1Password mini with the Control-Option-Command-Q keyboard shortcut.
    3. Open the Launchpad app to view your list of apps, then hold the mouse or trackpad button down on the 1Password icon until the icons "jiggle" and delete 1Password by clicking the black circle with the x in it on the top left corner of the 1Password icon (don't use any app cleaners, such as CleanMyMac. Just delete it the regular way so as to not risk losing your 1Password database as well).
    4. Restart the Mac, then open the App Store app and sign out of the Apple ID account you're using and then sign into the account you used to buy 1Password.
    5. Reinstall 1Password from the Purchases tab in the Mac App Store.

After this, you can sign back into your wife's Apple ID, but as for future updates requiring your Apple ID instead of your wife's, I do think that's a possibility. There are fewer of us around on weekends and, as such, you have a Windows gal trying to answer your Mac question here. While I know the above will get you out of read-only mode, I'm not 100% certain how it affects updates. Your wife may not be offered updates at all if the App Store only checks for updates for the active Apple ID. Alternatively, it may prompt for your Apple ID's password to update 1Password. It also may update without a problem (though I suspect this isn't the case). I'll keep asking around, but in the meantime the above should get things working on your wife's Mac. :+1:

• dcpoppy
    dcpoppy
    Community Member

Thanks Kate. That was the scenario I was in before I re-installed, so I can confirm it will require the credentials of my account to install updates. That's suboptimal, so I'm hoping there is some other solution. I'd be open to switching to the Agile Bits version as opposed to the Apple App Store one if that was possible.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dcpoppy: You may feel it is "suboptimal", but that's how the App Store works and none of us has any say over that. You can definitely shoot us an email with your Mac App Store receipt though and we'll be happy to get you an AgileBits Store license instead. Just post the Support ID you receive here and we'll get that taken care of.

• dcpoppy
    dcpoppy
    Community Member

Thanks! #KAI-53717-463

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

@dcpoppy: Likewise, thanks for sending that! I'll get back to you via email shortly. :)

Edit: Actually, right now. ;)

ref: KAI-53717-463

This discussion has been closed.