Transfer for iOS to Android fails (data lost)

horace
horace
Community Member

I synced iOS 1Pasword via Dropbox. Then I installed and synced Android 1Password via Dropbox. The outcome is MISMATCHING records (screen shots below).

Both iOS and Android versions are latest.

Please help...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@horace: Unless Dropbox is stalling and causing a sync issue, these look like two completely different vaults to me. Can you tell me the path for each (shown in 1Password Settings > Sync)? Definitely follow this guide, as it will help narrow down the problem:

If you’re having trouble syncing with Dropbox

You say "data lost", but is that true? Do you really not have all of your data on either device? It would be very odd for Dropbox to delete your data (unless this is a change it was syncing from another device), and in any case you should be able to restore deleted files (if any) through their website.

You also didn't include any of the requested version information, so please let me know that in addition to what you find!

• horace
    horace
    Community Member

The data path of Dropbox is: /Apps/1Password/1Password.opvault

Here is what I did:

1) Sync with Dropbox on iOS 1Password
    2) Click Sync Now a few time, to make sure sync is completed
    3) Make sure 1Password.opvault is uploaded and seen (on my Mac Dropbox folder)
    4) Install 1Password on Android
    5) Select Dropbox
    6) Use this vault: App/1Password/1Password.opvault
    7) Enter master password
    8) 1Password found vault
    9) Sync completed

Now

My iOS 1Password has 153 in All Items
    My Android 1Password has 60 items in All Items

as shown in above screens in my 1st message.

• horace
    horace
    Community Member

I have deleted and re-installed 1Password on Android for a few times and repeated the above steps. Same.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@horace: Thanks for letting me know! Can you tell me which OS and 1Password versions you're using on each device, and what you find following the steps here?

https://support.1password.com/dropbox-troubleshooting/

Thanks in advance!

• horace
    horace
    Community Member

iOS 11.0.2 1Password 6.9
    Android 7.1.1 1Password 6.6.2

I have gone through https://support.1password.com/dropbox-troubleshooting/ a few times, i.e.:

• unlink Dropbox
    • remove Dropbox files
    • re-sync

a few times. It does not help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@horace: I'm glad to hear that you're up to date, and that you've tried unlinking, but what about the rest? Did you run into some trouble with any of the other steps there? Do you perhaps have an old vault? Recreating it in 1Password for iOS could help in a number of ways. On which device do you have all of your data?

• horace
    horace
    Community Member

Dropbox sync never worked. I gave up.

Now I have successfully copied items from iOS to Android by WLAN Server, via the Mac 1Password app. The process is complicated (due to 1Password tries hard to move clients from standalone versions to cloud) but it works.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Dropbox sync never worked. I gave up.

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately we just don't have much insight into or control over Dropbox. :(

Now I have successfully copied items from iOS to Android by WLAN Server, via the Mac 1Password app.

Glad to hear that worked for you! :chuffed:

The process is complicated (due to 1Password tries hard to move clients from standalone versions to cloud) but it works.

That's a bit silly, since if that was our goal we wouldn't have WLAN Server as an alternative at all — and both that and Dropbox sync have been supported in 1Password for years before 1Password.com even existed. So I think it's safe to say that wasn't part of an (apparently poorly-thought-out) master plan. ;)

Anyway, glad to hear you got it sorted out, and we're here if you have any other questions. Cheers! :)

• Gaserheas
    Gaserheas
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

Dropbox doesn't work for us, i have failed once with it ,
    If you want to transfer data between Android and iOS , you can try the Facebook or transfer tool , as well as the google account .
    http://www.android-rescuer.com/transfer-messages-from-android-to-iphone.html
    You can sign in to your Google/Facebook account ,and then flip the data sync switch to on.in this way , you can transfer your data ,

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

If you have questions about how to setup Dropbox to sync your 1Password data, we can probably help. Not sure where Facebook would be — or should be — involved. :unamused:

This discussion has been closed.