Password History Question/Issue?

AlwaysSortaCurious
AlwaysSortaCurious
Community Member

Not sure where this belongs, since there is no section for individual or web really.

I've changed my master password 3 times since getting the product (the first one plus three since). Updated in ways I don't recall, but it looks like I only have one older one in my history (the one right before this last change). Anyway, I can find them in the item history, but not the password history in my 1Password Login item (the one that came with the product).

Not sure what the criteria are for storing the change as "password history" rather than "item," but I checked this on both the web and the Windows interfaces. I use Android, iPad, iPhone, and mac. But generally speaking always use a desktop keyboard for the password and probably changed the old ones either on the website or the Windows app.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AlwaysSortaCurious: There are two ways that you'll end up with "previously used passwords" in a Login item:

1. Using "Update Login" prompt from the 1Password browser extension when signing into a website in the browser.
    2. Editing a Login item manually in the 1Password app to change the password.

You raise a good point, because 1Password browser integration predates 1Password.com by roughly a decade, it just wasn't built with this in mind. So when you're changing a 1Password.com account's Master Password, and there isn't a traditional password change form, the extension doesn't change it for you. Ironic on a few levels, certainly, and hopefully we can get some hooks on both ends to help with this in the future...but then again your old Master Password won't help you if you forget your new one and get locked out of your account.

However, if you mean that you'd manually updated the Login item (#2) and you're not getting password history, please let me know where and how, as that's something we need to look into since it could affect other logins as well. Thanks in advance!

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member

This last one I updated on the website, and it was tracked. The prior times, I simply do not remember. But I did use them.... so they were changed somewhere where the information was synch'd but not registered as a password change.

LOL... too true. But I was reviewing to see if I had finally gotten it to the state I wanted and was comfortable with or if I preferred an older one.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That makes sense. Please do let us know if you think of any other details that might help, or if you run into any further issues!

This discussion has been closed.