Adding team vault to desktop concerns

tmerrick
tmerrick
Community Member

Hello,

I have the Mac desktop app for my own personal logins. A client of mine just subscribed to Teams and wants to add her vault to my desktop app. I am concerned about privacy and safety of my own personal logins combined with a cloud based vault. Can you provide some information? Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.8.3
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @tmerrick :)
    Thanks for writing in. Might I ask what your concerns are? If you are concerned that this will give your client access to your info, don't be. Your client's Teams vault and your personal vault are completely separate entities and, while they can both be loaded in 1Password at the same time, remain separate entities. You may move entries back and forth between the two vaults if you wish, but that's about as much as you can do. Your client will not have any access to your personal logins. And if your personal logins are in a offline, standalone vault, they will remain there unless you specifically choose to move them to a Teams vault.

Hopefully that helps. Let me know if I can explain anything further or if I missed one of your concerns. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

Hey @tmerrick -- I'd add that you may wish to check out either our security model or, if you prefer a deeper dive into the security employed in our 1Password.com service (for Families and Teams), check out our security white paper.

I'm also not sure quite what you mean by "wants to add her vault to my desktop app." If you mean, she wants to invite you to join her team, she'd need to send you an invitation, but as @Corey_C said, vaults (and accounts) stay separate within 1Password for Mac, even if you have multiple accounts. You can SEE all the data at once if you choose, but it's still encrypted (and stored) separately.

However, if you meant that your client actually wants to sign into her own 1Password Teams account on your copy of 1Password for Mac, I would not recommend this, unless you're willing to create a separate user account on your Mac itself, in which case, once again, the data would be separate. That would be the best way to allow another person to use your Mac - create a separate user login for him/her.

• tmerrick
    tmerrick
    Community Member

Thanks everyone. I understand better now and am all good. Cheers!

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@tmerrick Glad to hear it. Let us know if you run into any other issues. :+1: :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tmerrick -- Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.