Unable to sync Android clients with MacBook using WLAN server (Sync works fine using iOS client)

Fernando_Dias
Fernando_Dias
Community Member

Hello,

I am unable to sync 2 Android systems with my Mac running 1Password.
SW Versions and Devices:
MacBook with macOS High Sierra 10.13.1, with 1Password 6.8.4

Samsung Note 8 with Android 7.1.1 and 1Password client 6.6.2 (latest version)
Samsung Tab S2 with Android 7.0 and 1Password client 6.6.2 (latest version)

Always receive back a WLAN server error (communication with server is closed) on both Android devices.

WLAN sync works perfectly in iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 11.1, running 1Password client 7.0 (latest version).

1Password Version: 6.8.4 (Mac), 6.6.2 (Android)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS High Sierra 10.13.1
Sync Type: WLAN server using home wi-fi network
Referrer: forum-search:wlan sync android

Comments

• Hi @Fernando_Dias. Thanks for reaching out! Unlike 1Password 7 on iOS, 1Password 6 for Android doesn't support automatic sync over a WLAN server. You'll need to manually trigger sync to initiate. Can you please open the WLAN server window on your Mac? Then, from 1Password on your Android device, tap the three dots in the upper right hand corner and tap Sync. You could also pull down from the top of the screen if you're in Categories or Favorites and that will trigger sync. Are you able to sync then?

• Fernando_Dias
    Fernando_Dias
    Community Member

Hi there,

Thanks for your clarification, but that’s exactly what I have been trying to do without success.

On the Samsung Tab S2 I have been able to sync with WLAN in the past and it’s not working anymore.

On the Samsung Note 8 I am trying to sync using WLAN for the first time after installing 1Password, and the app discovers my laptop immediately, but then it issues a sync error when I try to proceed.

On the iPhone 7 Plus with the latest version of iOS WLAN sync works fine, both with auto sync or by manually requesting the sync.

Cheers,

Fernando

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

On the Samsung Tab S2 I have been able to sync with WLAN in the past and it’s not working anymore.

@Fernando_Dias: Did you pair the Samsung Tab S2 to sync with a different computer previously?

On the Samsung Note 8 I am trying to sync using WLAN for the first time after installing 1Password, and the app discovers my laptop immediately, but then it issues a sync error when I try to proceed.

The error you mentioned earlier ("communication with server is closed") indicates that the connection was rejected, which could be caused by settings on one of your devices or on your network in general. 1Password doesn't have any control over that, but if you follow this guide that may help you narrow down the problem:

If you’re having trouble using the WLAN server

Let me know what you find!

On the iPhone 7 Plus with the latest version of iOS WLAN sync works fine, both with auto sync or by manually requesting the sync.

That's really good to know. Just to clarify, you're syncing the iPhone with the same Mac that you're having trouble syncing the other two (Android 7) devices with?

• Fernando_Dias
    Fernando_Dias
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,

Answering your questions, all client devices I am using are syncing to the same Mac laptop through WLAN. I did upgrade the Mac sometime ago to a newer system, transferring all my data through a Time Machine backup/restore.

Anyway, I tried to sync all clients again just now and everything worked fine! I have now updated 1Password repositories on the iPhone, and the 2 Samsung devices running Android.

The only thing I did different was renewing the DHCP lease on the Mac, as per the guide you sent. Everything else stayed the same, without reboots or name changes on any device, and it was done on the same wi-fi network, with the Mac firewall ON, etc.

So, all is good now. Thank you very much for your support!

• I'm very glad to hear that, @Fernando_Dias! Please let us know if you ever need anything else!

• zein
    zein
    Community Member

I am having an issue syncing over WLAN on MPB to Android 7.1.1 on my Note 8 with version 6.7 ; i previously syncd from a different MPB to a S7edge

• Hi @zein. Thanks for reaching out!

Can you let us know what sort of trouble you're having syncing? Is 1Password on Android able to find the MBP on your network? Are you having some other issue? As much detail as you can provide will be much appreciated.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I have the same issue syncing over WLAN between a MacBookPro laptop and Android Pixel XL (running Android P). I tried as many things from "If you’re having trouble using the WLAN server" guide, including renewing the DHCP lease. I tried sync-ing up from a different computer (an iMac) also without any success. The app on my phone simply doesn't react when I'm in the "Sync" menu.

I am giving up trying to sync 1password and don't want to pay a monthly fee just for this feature (I already paid a license to use the software). Will look into other alternatives to sync passwords across devices.

• peri
    edited May 2018

Hi @silviu. WLAN sync is sort of an advanced sync option, so if you're looking for an easy way to sync between devices, I recommend switching to a 1Password account or using Dropbox instead. Both of those options will sync your data automatically.

As to WLAN sync, it's not automatic, so you'll need to manually initiate it. When you say it doesn't react from the Sync menu, are you referring to the Sync Settings screen? While you can configure sync from there, you can't initiate a sync from there. To initiate sync, go to Categories. You can tap the three dots in the upper right hand corner and tap Sync from there, or you can swipe your finger down from the top of the page to refresh the page, initiating sync.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

@peri: thanks a lot for clarifying -- indeed I was looking for triggering the sync in the wrong place. After I changed the name of my Apple computer back to what it was (I changed it following the troubleshooting instructions), it finally worked :)

From what I understood, the 1password account is an additional subscription. I don't see why I should pay a monthly subscription just to sync.

I also don't use Dropbox, rather Google Drive.

With these two options out, I have to use the "advanced" sync option between my Macs & Android phone. I guess this means I am just among the few ones that use this feature, so it will not be made any easier in the future :dizzy:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

thanks a lot for clarifying -- indeed I was looking for triggering the sync in the wrong place. After I changed the name of my Apple computer back to what it was (I changed it following the troubleshooting instructions), it finally worked :)

@silviu: Glad that did the trick! And thanks for the update! :)

From what I understood, the 1password account is an additional subscription. I don't see why I should pay a monthly subscription just to sync.

If it was "just to sync", I'd agree with you. However, a 1Password.com membership gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its many other benefits — like automatic offsite backup, item history, Travel Mode, etc.

I also don't use Dropbox, rather Google Drive.

Peri mentioned Dropbox because that's another sync option 1Password supports. You could use that. There's nothing stopping you from doing so.

With these two options out, I have to use the "advanced" sync option between my Macs & Android phone. I guess this means I am just among the few ones that use this feature, so it will not be made any easier in the future :dizzy:

WLAN Server isn't made to be easy. It can't be. It depends heavily on your network environment, being that it's a direct device-to-device connection on a local network, none of which 1Password has any control over. There are better ways; it's up to you whether or not you use them.

If it helps, your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance. And 1Password.com accounts have the additional security of the Secret Key. But no matter what — though we can't configure your devices or network for you — we're here to help in any way we can. Cheers! :)

• adrummond7
    adrummond7
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Can you just let us set the IP address of the WLAN Server for the client to connect to? This would make it a ton easier to side step any issues with network environment and bonjour/mDNS. This would also allow for syncing over a VPN connection.

I would also like to see this in 1Password for iOS.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@adrummond7: I can appreciate how that would be fine for you and perhaps some other users. Maybe. But then you'd have to either manually check your IPs any time you wanted to sync, or manually set them on your network. Very few people are willing to do this, especially in 2018. 1Password 3 Wi-Fi Sync actually worked that way to some extent, and it was not a hit with customers, to put it mildly, in spite of it being the only option at the time when people wanted to sync. We've learned lessons from that, and have no plans to head down that road again. :)

• adrummond7
    adrummond7
    Community Member

@Brenty,

I appreciate your experience and understand that people would have a difficult time with this approach. I unfortunately did not start using 1Password until version 4.

I also understand it would undermine the work you're doing with the amazing system you guys have built with 1Password Accounts. In fact, I use it every day for work and recommended it to everyone as much as I can.

I'm just old school and like to keep as much of my personal data on my own machines as I can. I realize I'm in the minority on this who care about stuff like this or even would be willing to setup static IPs (or even maintain an internal DNS), but it would be amazing since it would work over a VPN and work every single time without the headaches bonjour may bring.

The fact that you offered new licenses for 1Password 7 shows you care a little bit for users like myself who prefer traditional syncing methods. If it were ever brought back, it could include a warning label beside it stating it should only be for advanced users.

Nonetheless, I respect your decision, but hope you one day reconsider, since this seems like a sure way to bring the best reliability to the WLAN Server feature. Especially since Bonjour has many requirements in order to work perfectly.

Either way, thank you for building such great software. I cannot imagine life without it, even without WLAN Server syncing :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@adrummond7: Honestly it's less a matter of undermining 1Password.com than we just have so much work to do. That's not a complaint; we love it! But we always have more to do than we have time and energy, so we do have to be a bit picky about what we work on. And we need to focus on the areas where we can do the most good for the greatest number of 1Password users. We'll continue to listen to feedback and evaluate this, but at this time we're not able to justify taking someone off of something else to work in this area. I'm glad you took the time to let us know this is something that's important to you though. And, especially under the circumstances, thanks for the kind words and for supporting us, even if we can't give you what you're looking for at this time. :blush:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

OK, I decided to not use 1password anymore after I bought a non-Mac machine and I learned I have to buy another license - turns out my 50$ are covering only the usage on Mac machines.

Could you please delete my account on the discussion forum.
    I did not see an option to do that in my profile. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

Indeed, the standalone 1Password apps are each a separate purchase, as they each cost money to develop and support, and that allows people to purchase only what they need. However, you can get all of them with a 1Password.com membership.

I'll delete your account as you've requested, but we're always here if you decide to give it another go.

This discussion has been closed.