To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Master password doesn't work across all versions on my MacBook

Options

I created my master password via the 1Password website. When I try to access 1Password from the icon in my toolbar at the top of the screen, however, I'm unable to gain access. Also, when I try to use 1Password via the plugin for Chrome, it doesn't recognise the master password I created.
I can access 1Password on my iPhone and iPad no problem using the master password.
Can you help me? I don't want to have to go to the website every time I want to use 1Password.
Thank you.

1Password Version: The latest one
Extension Version: Don't know
OS Version: The new Sierra one
Sync Type: I assume it's iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Tony_Mitchell: It sounds like you have setup two very different things: a Master Password for a 1Password.com account, and a Master Password for a Primary (local) vault on your Mac. You will need to enter the correct one in order to unlock the app. But, if you have all of your data in 1Password.com (and the same on your other devices), I can walk you through resetting 1Password for Mac to set it up the same way as the others. Let me know!

• Tony_Mitchell
    Tony_Mitchell
    Community Member
    Options

I'm totally confused now, Brenty.
    All I know is that I can access all my 1Password stuff via the 1Password website using my master password, but I cannot get into the browser extension using the same master password. How do I get around this? Does resetting 1Password for Mac solve this problem?
    Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017
    Options

@Tony_Mitchell: Do you see all of your 1Password data when you sign into 1Password.com in your web browser? Are you seeing that same data in 1Password on your iPad and iPhone? Please let me know. :)

ref: FET-72951-481

• Tony_Mitchell
    Tony_Mitchell
    Community Member
    Options

I can't access 1Password on my web browser, Brenty. I click on the 1Password icon for the Chrome extension and it asks for my password, I enter the same one I do for the 1Password website and it doesn't work.
    On my iPhone, I open the 1Password App, enter the same master password as I do on the 1Password website and it allows me in. The screen I'm shown is 'Settings'. If I tap on 'Vaults', I'm taken to 'Personal' which shows me I have 10 items and nothing more.
    Thanks for your help, Brenty.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Tony_Mitchell - OK, so you're using 1Password on a Mac, an iPhone and via the web. Can I ask: were you using 1Password on your phone or Mac prior to you creating your 1password.com account on the web? Or was your sign-up for a 1password.com account the first time you've ever used 1Password?

• Tony_Mitchell
    Tony_Mitchell
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, Lars.
    I purchased 1Password in September 2011 and put in on my old MacBook Pro, which I replaced over a year ago. I thought I could install the App from the App store recently from 'Purchases', but it didn't work and I went through the whole download process again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Tony_Mitchell: I'm not completely sure I understand. If you're having trouble installing from the App Store, that isn't something we can help with directly since that is owned and operated solely by Apple. I do see that you've also emailed us separately, so I'll follow up with you there shortly in case we need more details.

ref: FET-72951-481

This discussion has been closed.