1Password version 6.8.473 with Fall Creators Update doesn't "copy" passwords? [Not reproducible]

Options
jeffc
jeffc
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I'm currently running 1Password for Windows v6.8.473, which appears to be the latest version.

I'm not sure if this problem came up due to the Windows Fall Creators Update that was released, or due to a new version of 1Password being installed. But if I launch 1Password (I completely shut it down via 1Password mini when this came up), select an entry, and copy one of my long passwords, it doesn't appear to be copied to my copy buffer. I can't paste it into notepad or dialog boxes or anything else. This used to work fine.

Is this due to the fall creators update or is this a bug in 1Password for Windows v6.8.473? Is there any sort of work-around? I regularly store passwords in 1Password for dialog boxes (SSH passphrases, etc), and having to retype this is a huge problem - I'd need to simplify some of my passwords, and my password manager shouldn't make me do that!

Thanks in advance ...

/Jeff

1Password Version: 6.8.473
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.15)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member
    Options

I don't experience this issue but I'm still using Windows 1703.

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing 1Password? I'm not sure it'd make any difference but it's worth a try. Ensure you restart your computer after uninstallation.

If Microsoft have implemented a new method for copying to the clipboard in 1709 then a possible workaround would be to edit the entry, select all of the password field (or CTRL + A) and the copy it (CTRL + C). Does that work?

That workaround isn't desirable but it may be your only option if it's a Windows bug. If it's a problem with 1Password then it's something they'll need to fix.

• jeffc
    jeffc
    Community Member
    Options

I'm very confused. I tried this like six times, then posted this message.

Since then, I pasted a "regular" username AND associated password successfully. I then went back to my GitHub entry and tried copying the long passphrase, and it worked too.

Very odd. It failed, so I restarted 1Password. It still failed after multiple attempts, so I posted the original comment here. Then I did other things and needed to copy something else in 1Password, and everything just worked.

I have no explanation for this. I guess for now, close this topic, and if it comes up again, I'll post again. Thanks!

/Jeff

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member
    Options

It sounds like a bug in Windows. Sometimes programs play up if your computer has been switched on for a long time without a reboot or you have lots of applications in the background - the Windows clipboard helper can take some time to catch up.

I'm a user like yourself so I can't close the topic but I'm sure somebody else will come along shortly who can do that.

At least it's working now. :)

• Hi guys,

@jeffc, I've moved this thread to our Windows Beta forum since you're using the 6.8 beta version of 1Password.

Do you use any clipboard manager on your PC?

I haven't noticed any issues with the clipboard on Windows 10 1709 update but I do see random internal exceptions where the clipboard couldn't be modified by Windows, so it would look as if 1Password can't copy anything. What we've found is that it is actually an issue with Windows locking the clipboard for another app like a clipboard manager or Office that has its own clipboard manager.

This discussion has been closed.