Also, # of lic allowed before family, team, etc?

Can I update iPad 1pw 3.7.2 to latest version with my current multi-device license (where to find my license info?)

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Also, # of lic allowed before family, team, etc?

Comments

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member
    edited November 2017

@Chazee - I've moved your thread over into 1Password for iOS instead of 1Password for Mac, I hope that's OK. If the last version of 1Password for iOS you used/owned was 3.7.2, then there are a couple of issues. Three, in fact.

1. Can your iPad's version of iOS be upgraded to iOS 11? If it can, you can use version 7, the newest version of 1Password for iOS, but the Pro features would be a $9.99 in-app purchase.
    2. The data that was in 3.7.2 on your iPad - do you need it? If this is simply an old copy with long-out-of-date data in it that's no longer relevant or needed, then feel free to just delete it.
    3. If the data in 1Password for iOS version 3.7.2 is needed/relevant, we'll have to export or sync it first. Can you let us know what version of iOS is on your iPad, please? Thanks. :)
  • Thanks for responding @Lars . I now better understand the issues. My current iPad is 4th generation and not upgradable to IOS 11. The older version of 1P is deletable. It appears that the IOS version 10.3.3 on the iPad supports the 1P app version 6.9.1 which was successfully downloaded.

I have a number of follow on questions which I outline below:

I have been using 1P under a multi-license for Macs and app store downloads for iPhones. We currently have 2 MacBook pros, 2 iPhones and the afore mentioned iPad. I have configured 1 mac and 1 iPhone with its own dropbox sync & data and similarly but separate for the 2nd Mac and remaining iPhone. My primary internal debate is whether to maintain my current status or move to a subscription based 1P predicated on the following assumption:

1. As an administrator, maintain control of both data bases.

For example, why not maintain the respective data bases via multiple vaults under a common dropbox using sharing by allowing 1 user separate password access to the shared vault with the appropriate permissions for edit, add, delete items in the shared vault. Could you elaborate on the pros/cons of this approach compared to a subscription. How would each of these be implemented? I recognize some of the advantages of the subscription approach, viz automate free upgrades, etc.

1. A follow on question is whether or not the iPad can support both data bases individually depending on the apple ID login at the time.

Thanks.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@Chazee - there has never been a "multi-license" that included both 1Password for Mac and 1Password for iOS -- those two versions weren't bundled together (at least, not by us) because they are licensed differently. A license for 1Password for Mac works on as many Macs as you own/use...but it can't work to license 1Password for iOS because the Pro features of 1Password for iOS are only sold as an in-app purchase direct from Apple's App Store (not from us). So I'm not really sure what you're referring to, unless you got it as some kind of a package from a reseller(?)

However, I can answer unequivocally that a 1password.com subscription is going to be both easier to maintain, more flexible and powerful, as well as less expensive in the long run. I'm not entirely sure I understand your setup, but it sounds as if you've got a minimum of five devices -- can I ask how many people that's divided amongst, and in what relationship? Are you a family, or a small business? Do you have special needs for sharing or access control? In the case of your iPad, no -- it's assumed to be a single-user device, so 1Password (much like most apps for iOS) records data for a single user. You could indeed be signed into two different accounts within 1Password for iOS, but anyone with access to the device (via Touch ID or Master Password) would see all data in any accounts signed in using the app.

• I believe I was not clear on my 1P apps. The 2 macs use a license purchased on the agilebits website. The iPhone apps were obtained from the app store which included the pro edition. We are a family. My wife and I are the principals using the devices described. She has a mac & iPhone and I the same. We share the iPad. Hope this clarifies.

Her data set is significantly smaller than mine. We could actually share the same data set. However, my thought was 2 vaults on the same account, one hers and the other mine. Hers would be a shared vault. She can edit, create, delete on the shared vault. A subset of entries could be common with both vaults. We can have separate passwords for the vaults. I can then help her to maintain her data.

1. If subscription is the way to go, will it be a single user or a family subscription? Are there advantages for family over single user since I can invite her?

2. Simply as a point for comparison, what would be the functional difference between maintaining the single user subscription versus our present situation, namely, using one account with 2 vaults?

• Regarding question 2: If I understand the single user subscription (2.99/mo), it is not functionally different than my current situation of a single user excepting the use of an internal sync (dropbox) and no cost upgrading. It appears you cannot invite under single user.. If that is the case then a family subscription is appropriate for my case. Correct?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @Chazee,

The question you have to ask yourself (and your wife) is:

Do you want to use the same credentials to access 1Password (same email address & Master Password), and have access to all of the same data? Or do you each want your own credentials for 1Password and to share only some of the information that you store in 1Password?

This is a question that only you can answer. We can’t tell you which is the right way to go.

If you want to have access to all of the same information, and login to 1Password with the same credentials, then you can share an individual account. If you each want some of your own data that the other doesn’t see, and want to each have your own credentials to access 1Password then you’d need a 1Password Families membership.

There are a number of benefits to either type of membership, which you can read about here:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

I hope that helps!

Ben

• It seems I have lost my ability to maintain my folders since migrating to family accounts! Any recourse?

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@Chazee: Sorry for the confusion there! 1Password.com uses tags for organization, since they are more flexible (it turns out this is pretty important for scaling to sync and share data between multiple family and team members!) I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.