iOS version 1Password

Hello support!

I’m a bit confused on the iOS version of your current app. I’ve been using 1Password for probably 8 years now. My wife finally bought an iPhone and I was assuming that through iOS family sharing she could install the app and use it this way. Apparently she can’t and she needs a license. As I am a long time user of your apps (mac, iOS and even a distant windows license) I’ve invested quite a bit to get all the apps for syncing (which works fine!). How do I add my wife to the 1Password ecosystem I have. For the record: I’m not interested in the family subscription. I’ve spent quite a bit of money already to get everything working and it would be nuts to pay €7,50 a month just to add my wife’s phone. Also the AppStore description states that the app supports family sharing but I can’t see how it does. I’m even willing to buy another iOS single license if needed as I understand it was an a per user per device license in the past.

Thank you for your support and great app through the years!

Comments

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@waltervanbergen: Likewise, thanks for your kind words! I'm sorry for the confusion. A 1Password Families membership is the only way to "add" your wife to use 1Password across all of her devices without purchasing the individual app for each separately (along with many other benefits). Apple's Family Sharing is an App Store feature, not a 1Password feature. If you purchased the standalone version years ago when it was a paid download this can be shared between Apple IDs. But 1Password for Mac and iOS have been a free download for a while now, and Apple does not allow in-app purchases to be shared. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• I’m sorry but I’m still a bit confused. I have no problem to purchase an individual app for my wife’s phone. How do I do this? All our other devices already have 1Password installed and it works perfect. Also my wife’s phone doesn’t need to sync with the other devices. I’ll just add the most important passwords myself.

Edit: one more question: what does family sharing for 1Password mean (iTunes context). To me it seems like it doesn’t add any value to 1Password or am I mistaken completely?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

You are correct in that Apple’s Family Sharing doesn’t add any value to 1Password because it does not apply to 1Password.

If you’d like to install 1Password for iOS on your wife’s device you can download the app here:

1Password 7 for iOS - iTunes App Store

You can then (optionally) purchase the 1Password for iOS Pro Features (in-app purchase) if you’d like:

Pro features in 1Password for iOS

Ben

• Hello Ben, Thanks again for your support. So if I understand correctly you just download 1Password, and with the in-app Pro purchase you will have a single user license to use 1Password? No further subscriptions required?

The reason why I want a single license is that all of my other devices already have 1Password setup and working fine! It’s kind of confusing as this is not stated in the AppStore description for the in app purchase.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@waltervanbergen: The iOS App Store deals only with iOS apps, so it won't be able to make any statements about those. Without a 1Password.com membership, each one is a separate purchase. But if the only one you still need is 1Password for iOS, paying for that will unlock that version for you. This is not a "license", as App Store purchases are tied to your Apple ID; but you will be able to use that version of the app as long as you have a device that can run it. Cheers! :)

• Ah ok. So what you’re really are saying is that the with the iOS version (if used alone and you don’t want the macOS app and/or Windows) you’ll be fine without a subscription? Only when you want to do cross platform and or family/teams the subscription is required?

I hate to say this, and I’m not sure if it’s done on purpose, but you’re charging model is very confusing at the moment. I recommend 1Password to all who are struggling with passwords issues but they all seem to back out when they see the monthly subscription. I can see that for many people with just one device (most just use one iPhone) that the cost of a subscription don’t justify the service. If you have multiple users / devices it’s a different story of course but I’m afraid you might lose some potential users this way. It’s a shame because 1Password is just great!

Please state more clearly the benefits of a subscription in the iOS App Store but make also clear that it isn’t required to use the app for that single device. I know and can understand that you would like people to add subscriptions but it now looks like potential buyers are ill informed and assume that you always need a subscription. I almost backed out myself and went looking for other solutions. Keep up the good job!

• brentybrenty

Team Member

Ah ok. So what you’re really are saying is that the with the iOS version (if used alone and you don’t want the macOS app and/or Windows) you’ll be fine without a subscription? Only when you want to do cross platform and or family/teams the subscription is required?

@waltervanbergen: You're half right. Yes, if you only want the iOS app you don't need a subscription. However, a subscription is never required. We believe it's the best option, but it's just one.

I hate to say this, and I’m not sure if it’s done on purpose, but you’re charging model is very confusing at the moment. I recommend 1Password to all who are struggling with passwords issues but they all seem to back out when they see the monthly subscription. I can see that for many people with just one device (most just use one iPhone) that the cost of a subscription don’t justify the service. If you have multiple users / devices it’s a different story of course but I’m afraid you might lose some potential users this way. It’s a shame because 1Password is just great!

You're totally right that it can be confusing, and I'm sorry about that. In fact, the confusion seems to be that we've changed things, when in fact we've just added a new option. That's on us for adding complexity, but we weren't willing to force everyone to use 1Password.com, and that means that things aren't quite as simple as they arguably should be. :(

I agree that someone using a ton of different devices will get the most value out of a 1Password.com membership...but truthfully someone with only a single device is much more likely to suffer a catastrophic failure and lose all of their data (swimming pool, bathtub, toilet...) so I have to say that while they don't benefit from being able to use all of the apps, they benefit more from having an automatic offsite backup of their most important data stored in 1Password than someone with computers both at home and at the office.

If I wasn't hearing from 1Password users nearly every day who wish that they had a 1Password.com account but never signed up for one so that they could simply sign in and get their data back, I'd probably not think of it much myself as much either. But having lost my own data in the past due to lack of a backup, it's harder to forget.

Please state more clearly the benefits of a subscription in the iOS App Store but make also clear that it isn’t required to use the app for that single device. I know and can understand that you would like people to add subscriptions but it now looks like potential buyers are ill informed and assume that you always need a subscription. I almost backed out myself and went looking for other solutions. Keep up the good job!

Thank you for the kind words! For a long time — over a year — we presented both "standalone" and "subscription" options side by side, and that actually caused even more confusion that we have now. So, since earlier this year, we've been marketing only 1Password.com memberships. They are the best option for most people, but since they aren't perfect for everyone we continue to offer the more traditional model as well. Definitely don't feel like you have to explain this stuff for us. It's our fault, and we're more than happy to help and answer questions that you or anyone else has. Thanks again for your support! :blush:

• edited November 2017

Thanks Brenty! One last question though. How will you lose your data if you only have one device and no 1Password.com account? I’m a bit spooked now because I’m not using it myself. If you use iCloud backup you won’t lose your data right? I always assumed the (encrypted) data is back upped in iCloud. Either by 1Password or even just the iPhone backup itself. The also (encrypted) data of 1Password will be saved by your regular backups too right?

I used to have a vault in Dropbox too as this kind of worked the same. Or do you actually need a 1Password account to backup your data?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@waltervanbergen

One last question though. How will you lose your data if you only have one device and no 1Password.com account?

If you're only using a single device and not a 1Password.com account then your data is only stored on that device. Losing the device means losing the data.

I’m a bit spooked now because I’m not using it myself. If you use iCloud backup you won’t lose your data right? I always assumed the (encrypted) data is back upped in iCloud.

Negative. We've found that iCloud does not reliably back up 1Password data. That is why we have a backup mechanism built into 1Password. Unfortunately that requires a computer with iTunes to use:

1Password backups

It is possible to sync data using a 3rd party service such as iCloud or Dropbox, in which case the chosen service would have an (encrypted) copy of your data. Obviously if you're relying on that you need to make sure that you'd be able to login to those accounts without access to your phone/device. It is worth noting that while sync is better than nothing it is not the same as a backup and should not be treated as such.

Either by 1Password or even just the iPhone backup itself. The also (encrypted) data of 1Password will be saved by your regular backups too right?

Again, no. We've had numerous reports from customers that restoring their device backup was not sufficient to restore their 1Password data.

I used to have a vault in Dropbox too as this kind of worked the same. Or do you actually need a 1Password account to backup your data?

To get a true backup you either need a computer with iTunes, 1Password.com account, or to periodically manually back up the sync file in Dropbox.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Hmmm I’m kind of baffled that restoring 1Password with iCloud or regular backup isn’t trustworthy. Any idea what is causing this possible issue? I never had any problems in iCloud with corrupted files of any kind. Even my Mac stores files in iCloud and I’ve never seen any hiccups. It was different when it was still MobileMe (no corrupt files but syncing itself wasn’t very reliable). Thanks for the info this far and your time to respond.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Any idea what is causing this possible issue?

None. I just know that it has been reported by enough customers that we felt it necessary to build our own backup mechanism.

Ben

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@waltervanbergen: I realize that my comments may not have been clear. While I'm referring to 1Password here as the topic of discussion, this isn't limited to 1Password data: I've personally had many apps which were either not restored at all, or were restored without their data, from iCloud and iTunes backups; and I know the same has happened to others as well. I and others have occasionally had luck re-restoring from a backup, suggesting that the backup was fine, but that there was a failure during the restore process (sometimes multiple attempts). Other than my own experience and that of others I've talked to having similar problems, I don't have any real insight into why this happens. :(

This discussion has been closed.