Sync with Dropbox and Subscription on Windows

Options
katherineg
katherineg
Community Member

Hello,

I have up until now used standalone licenses for my personal account and family vault with data stored in Dropbox on our Apple devices. All apps are up to date and syncing fine on our Macs and iOS devices (previously purchased apps downloaded for free through Apple family sharing).

My brother was never on the 1Password bandwagon, and we need to get him in the picture, but the challenge is he uses a Windows computer. I thought we would sign him up for the subscription for his personal vault, and then add the family vault for syncing with Dropbox. Is this possible? I don't see a way to sign into a new vault in the Windows app, and the support options only refer to migrating to the subscription for families. Since we just downloaded it, the Windows version we're using us 1Password 6 on the latest update.

If that's what we need to do, it's fine. Just want to make sure I don't have any other options besides moving the whole family to the subscription model.

If we need to move to subscription, is there a way to get his account into updated on the family plan instead? We would have a different email and family member pay for the subscription.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@katherineg: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! It isn't possible to have multiple billing for the same account, but it does sound like 1Password Families would be a better option for you. It's just so much easier to share vaults there, and that's fully supported in the new Windows app:

Share 1Password with your family

You don't have to use 1Password Families. You could sync and share vaults using Dropbox...but then each of the apps for each person is a separate purchase, and vaults would need to be setup individually on each device. So while that's an option, and one I've used myself for years, it isn't something I enjoy or recommend now that there's a better alternative.

The old "standalone" version of 1Password for Windows which works with Dropbox is no longer being sold though as we work on the next version, so that would be an obstacle in your brother's case. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions!

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@katherineg I was in the same boat as you. None of my family members really used for understood password managers. The 1Password for Families is a life saver for people who don’t understand password managers. I have this, and I’m the organizer on the account. My mom so far has locked herself out twice, I was able to reset her account, and she didn’t lose any data. If she was on the stand alone, she would have lost all of her data.

Just something to think about.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's a really good point. I don't like thinking about people getting locked out of their data, but the reality is that many do...but now there's a way to help loved ones (or team mates) regain access to their important data:

Recover accounts for family or team members

It's one less thing for us to worry about. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.