Trying to sync my 1password android app with my cloud saved password vault in dropbox

andrewchung
andrewchung
Community Member

Hi,

I have recently purchased a Samsung S8 and tried to sync 1 password app on andriod with my passowrd vault located in my dropbox cloud drive.

However when the 1password android app tries to sync with dropbox and the location of my password vault i keep getting a sync error stating "the neccesary file encryptionkeys.js is missing" im not sure what im suppose to do? however it works fine on iphone, macbook and Imac which syncs fine with this file in dropbox.

How should i best proceed?

Thanks,

Andy

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 6.6.s
OS Version: andriod 7.0
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@andrewchung: What is the vault path on each device? It may be that you're syncing with different vaults on some of them. Definitely follow this guide, as it will help you narrow down the problem:

If you’re having trouble syncing with Dropbox

For example, are you able to see encryptionkeys.js on Dropbox.com? Certainly if that file is missing 1Password will not be able to retrieve it. Your other devices may already have a local copy of it. Let me know what you find!

• andrewchung
    andrewchung
    Community Member

The vault path seems to be the same on my iPhone which is dropbox/1password/1password.agilekeychain
    I searched the actual file and I can't see the encryptionkeys.js file in the Dropbox vault. How best shall I proceed based on the link you provided?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@andrewchung: Thanks for letting me know! That gives me enough to get into specifics so we can get this sorted out for you. :)

If your vault is in this location:

dropbox/1password/1password.agilekeychain

Going two levels deeper into this folder:

dropbox/1password/1password.agilekeychain/data/default

You should have the encryptionKeys.js file there. Do you see that in Dropbox.com? It may be there, but damaged. Or it may be missing in Dropbox entirely. That's something you might be able to investigate further looking through your Dropbox change history.

But what I can help you with is getting things repaired. If you have all of your data in 1Password on your computer, then that's one less thing we have to worry about. What you can do in that case is restore encryptionKeys.js in Dropbox (or revert to an earlier version). The only caveat is DO NOT do that if you've changed your Master Password. If you have, let me know what version of 1Password you're using on your computer and we'll go from there. :)

• andrewchung
    andrewchung
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,

So i checked the version of 1password on my Macbook and its the latest version, i have also checked the Dropbox app on my Macbook and again this is the latest version.

I searched the file:
    dropbox/1password/1password.agilekeychain/data/default

And i can confirm i cannot find a file under the name: encryptionKeys.js

There is a file names 1password.keys perhaps this is a similar file.

With that in mind how shall i proceed to try and restore the encryptionKeys.js into my vault so that i can access the vault via my android phone using the 1password app and accessing the vault via the dropbox app.

Thanks,

Andy

• Hey Andy! Let's switch you over to our newer OPVault format. This format doesn't use the encryptionKeys.js file, so switching should resolve the error.

Then make sure to sync your devices up with that new vault once you've switched. Let us know how it goes!

• andrewchung
    andrewchung
    Community Member

Perfect! thats did the trick! thanks for the help! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Peri, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.