1Password not restored from Itunes backup. All data lost!

gtsupport
gtsupport
Community Member

I just received a new IPhone X. I backed up my old phone via ITunes then wiped it to give to somebody else. The 1Password ap was restored to my new phone, but when I open it, there is no data. I am asked to create a new vault. Where has my data gone from the old vault, and can I restore it from anywhere? I do not have a paid account, it was a local vault on my old phone.

1Password Version: 7.0.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 11.2
Sync Type: Itunes
Referrer: forum-search:1Password not restored from Itunes backup. All data lost!

Comments

• Hi @gtsupport,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with the iTunes backup process. This is exactly the reason that we implemented a backup mechanism in 1Password itself:

1Password backups

If the vault was only on your phone, and you've wiped it, then I think you've answered your own question about being able to restore it from anywhere else. That said, I'd highly recommend trying a restore of the same backup to the new iPhone a second time. As strange as it may sound we've had reports from a number of customers that the first restoration did not restore their data, but a second restoration did. I believe it may be related to the order in which iTunes is attempting to put the app & data back on the phone, and in some cases it may try to put the data back, see the app isn't there, and skip it, only later to install the app. Unfortunately I don't have any way to prove that, and we have no control over the process anyway. That is entirely an Apple thing.

Please let me know how the second restoration attempt goes. I'll be interested to hear if that works for you. Fingers crossed.

Thanks.

Ben

• gtsupport
    gtsupport
    Community Member

Hi Ben, thanks for the reply. Whilst checking the settings in the app, I found a sync setting that somehow found a backup on Icloud. I never use this, but miraculously there was a backup of my data in the icloud. A sync restored all the data so I now have my valuable data back again.
    Thanks again and I shall make sure to keep a current backup in the icloud in future.

• Excellent. Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you were able to find a solution. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.