Password generator does not copy to clipboard

walajm
walajm
Community Member

I use password generator and check "copy to clipboard before filling". It does not do so. I cannot paste the "copy" from my clipboard to a word processing document. I need this because 1Password is very unreliable in saving the new username and password for a new site.

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: 10.13.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @walajm - I'm sorry to hear you've having troubles! 1Password should save items pretty reliably, though of course since there are a nearly-infinite number of login pages out there, all with slightly different layouts and rules, there will always be a small number that give 1Password trouble.

However, any time you generate a password using 1Password's Strong Password Generator, it will be saved as a Password item. You can retrieve these items by clicking on the Passwords category in the sidebar of 1Password, then sorting them by date created. That should show you whatever you've created most recently right at the top.

However, when you click the drop-down arrow next to the "Fill" button, is the "Copy to clipboard before filling" option already selected (checked)? If so, then what you're doing is actually UN-checking it, which would be why it's not copying when you subsequently click "Fill." Try it with a test password, and see whether that works better for you. Let us know how you get on! :)

• walajm
    walajm
    Community Member

I look to see if the "copy to clipboard before filling" is checked or not before proceeding. If it is checked already, I do not uncheck it. If it is unchecked, I check it. There is a software problem at your end. This is a somewhat recent development, maybe over the last 6 months.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@walajm -- glad to hear you're familiar with the Copy before Filling procedure; so that's definitely not what's going on here. And while I certainly don't intend to be argumentative, I've been unable to reproduce the problem you're experiencing. If I have Copy to Clipboard before Filling checked, not only can I paste the generated password into a text field, but the password is also saved in the Passwords category, like any generated password should be.

Filling itself is another matter. Usually that works also, but as I said earlier there are definitely a tiny minority of cases in which a particular website's login page layout can give 1Password difficulties with filling. But even in such cases where 1Password isn't able to fill (or save) a login record properly, a Password item is generated, and if I've got the copy feature turned on, the password is on my clipboard.

I'm wondering if you have any system-wide clipboard managers or other text-substitution utilities present on your Mac? If so, please try temporarily disabling them and testing things out again. Also, if you've not restarted your Mac in a while, I'd like you to do that before continuing also. Thanks!

• anim57
    anim57
    Community Member

I totally agree with the user. Copy to clipboard works approximately 15 to 20% of the time for me on all platforms. How difficult can it be to reliably get a text string to copy to the clipboard for use as needed? It’s mind boggling that this doesn’t work, and boy your developers love to throw shade.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@anim57 - thanks for the feedback. :)

This discussion has been closed.