To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Why aren't attachments/documents moved when you move entries between vaults that reference them?

Options
tmchow
tmchow
Community Member

I move entries between vaults in our family account. Many times those entires have links to attachments. Even though it's the only entry referencing that attachment, I'll lose the reference upon moving it and see this warning:

This is such a pain in the button. Why not give the option to move the document/attachment with the entry to the new vault so everything is intact?!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @tmchow,

Thanks for writing in. I've moved your thread to our 1Password Memberships forum since this affects all 1Password apps using 1Password accounts.

We'd like to improve this in the future but this is a massive security undertaking and the move itself is complicated already.

What's happening is that each item you copy or move to another vault, we're effectively making a new item in the other vault that is re-encrypted with the vault key and the group keys for that vault, so others could see that item. The reference does not have to be a Document item, it can be of any item you link and more than once. That means we'd have to recreate all referenced items and move them to the other vaults as well as updating each item to add that reference link, which isn't as easy as it sounds.

For now, you can move both items to other vaults and link them again. We hope to simplify this process in the future once we figure out the best solution for this.

This discussion has been closed.