Using 1Password on a public wifi when syncing via 1Password.com

Manaburner
Manaburner
Community Member
edited January 2018 in Lounge

Hi,

I've seen some threads about "using 1Password in a public wifi" a lot, but I couldn't find one that specifically asked for the combination "1Password app + 1Password.com sync". If there is one, I'm sorry.

As 1Password is syncing my changes almost instantly, there must be an open connection between the application and your servers at 1Password.com. Is it still safe to use 1Password when you're on a public wifi in this case? I usually would open a VPN connection (of a trusted VPN provider of course) before doing anything that involves a password, but VPN connections break without notice or don't work for other reasons, like outages or firewall problems or...
P.S. Forgive me but I'm paranoid ;-)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Manaburner: I would definitely use a VPN just as a general practice any time you're on an untrusted network, even one that is secured, but shared with a bunch of other people/devices you don't know.

However, neither VPN nor TLS/SSL are necessary for 1Password's security. Not only is 1Password's data end-to-end encrypted no matter what "flavour" you're using, 1Password.com in particular adds its own transport security. So even if your VPN connection is down and you don't notice AND there's a problem with HTTPS (for example, your "security" software or employer is using their own certificate to be a person-in-the-middle — gross), 1Password.com still has its own data- and transport-layer security protecting you:

Three layers of encryption keeps you safe when SSL/TLS fails

So while it's awesome that you're thinking about your security when you're in a potentially unsafe environment — and this is crucial for us as users in general in this day and age — 1Password's got your back even if some things go wrong. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Great helpful answer as always. Thank you @brenty :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're totally welcome! Thanks for asking, as I'm sure others may have similar questions. Cheers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.