OnePasswordNativeMessageHost seems to get into infinite loop

aubreyapple
aubreyapple
Community Member

On my MacBookPro running 10.11.6 and Chrome (I think), from time to time the laptop gets hot and the fan blows and I find that the process OnePasswordNativeMessageHost is using over 100% cpu. Quitting chrome does not stop the process. I have not observed the issue on my MacPro (2010) running High Sierra. (10.13.2). 1Password is at version 6.8.6. Any Ideas?

1Password Version: 6.8.6
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• aubreyapple
    aubreyapple
    Community Member

P.S. I have the result of lsof on the process as well as the contents of .../com.agilebits.onepasswordnativemessaginghost.log

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018

@aubreyapple: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! Indeed, that doesn't sound normal. If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your device, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com
    Let me know once you've sent it. Otherwise, if you're not having this problem now, any logs you have already will be fine and we can go from there. Thanks in advance!

ref: RMK-92221-267

• aubreyapple
    aubreyapple
    Community Member

Will do as soon as it happens again. Thanks.

• @aubreyapple,

You'll want to also use Activity Monitor.app to get a sample of OnePasswordNativeMessageHost.

Rudy

• frou
    frou
    Community Member

@brenty @rudy I am a different person who is experiencing the same issue, and have just sent an email to support@agilebits.com with both a Report and Sample attached.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@frou: I'm not seeing anything from this address in the inbox. What's the Support ID you were given?

• frou
    frou
    Community Member

@brenty Hi there - It's [#EPL-79527-322]

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@frou: Great! Thank you! I see that Tully has already replied via email, and we're going to have the developer take a look at this to see what's going on. Let's continue the conversation there. :)

ref: EPL-79527-322

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I just wanted to update the thread to mention that frou helped us discover that, unfortunately, this is due to a bug in the frameworks on older macOS versions (10.10 and 10.11 seem to be affected, but it appears to be fixed in 10.12 and higher). I'm sorry I don't have happier news to share here, but wanted to mention it here to let anyone else who might be affected know.

• AnitaGraham
    AnitaGraham
    Community Member

I'm experiencing this problem now. I'm on OSx 10.11 and can't upgrade further as I am on an older iMac. Is there anything to be done about this, other than force quitting the process?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AnitaGraham: Can you be more specific? As you can see from this discussion, it's not something we've heard about at all since March. If you are, in fact, experiencing the exact same issue as discussed here, there is no solution other than upgrading to a version of macOS that does not have this bug. Sorry.

• AnitaGraham
    AnitaGraham
    Community Member

Thanks for your speedy reply.

I saw that my idle machine, left to itself overnight, was running at 100%cpu (according to activity monitor).
    When I checked I could see that it was onepasswordnativemessagehost at the top of the list, and it remained there for several minutes until I forced it to quit.

As for upgrading to a new version of macOS, that will have to wait until apple announces a new iMac - which they have notably failed to do for all of 2018. In the meantime, if I see it again, I will try to get a sample to send to you. I am aware that support for 10.11 is being dropped everywhere, but that is where I am stuck.

Thanks again, Anita Graham

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AnitaGraham: I hear you. Hopefully you'll find a new Mac for yourself! I appreciate the offer of a sample, but we were already able to identify the cause months ago, and it isn't something we have any control over. And since support is over for El Capitan, there won't be a fix coming from Apple, other than what's in more recent releases of macOS.

This discussion has been closed.