1Password not synchronizing new items from Mac to iOS

Options
desertman
desertman
Community Member
edited January 2018 in Mac

I just wanted to log into a website account on my iPad (iOS 11) but couldn't because the login was not stored in 1Password. Upon checking the settings I could see that the synchronization was set - as it should be - to iCloud and that a synchronization had just happened. Back on my Mac I checked in 1Passsword there and found - of course - the item and could also see that according to 1Password a synchronization had - of course - just happened.

The item in question was just added yesterday. There must be one more rather new item that I added on my Mac that has not been synchronized to my iPad as the total number of items in 1Password on my Mac is 2 more than on my iPad. Since I have created more than two new items within the last ten days this means that the synchronization must have stopped working only very recently.

What is going on here? Or better: what is going wrong here?

I find it really frustrating that in almost regular intervals 1Password makes clear to me that I better don't assume that it works reliably. Once in a while it simply stops synchronizing at all and the synchronization has to be set up again, just a couple of days ago I had again a corrupted PDF that I had added as an attachment to an item not long ago, and now 1Password claims to be synchronizing without actually doing it.

1Password Version: 6.8.6 (AgileBits Store)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• desertman
    desertman
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I just thought I try to fix this by disabling and then reenabling the synchronization. I could disable it, but I could not reenable it again. Instead I got an error message saying "iCloud is not available. Please enable iCloud to continue."

This is almost funny since 1) iCloud is enabled (see screen shot) and 2) 1Password never complained before (when it should have while automatically synchronizing in the background) that iCloud would not be available. In truth this is, of course, not funny at all. 1Password SHOULD complain loud and clear when the synchronization does not work automatically.

My iCloud synchronization is - apart from 1Password - working fine. I just created a new contact on my Mac and it synchronized within a second to my iPad.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

@desertman Try turning iCloud Drive on.

• rudy
    Options

@desertman,

As @vplewis indicates, you need to have iCloud Drive turned on even though iCloud sync does not use iCloud Drive itself. Apple has linked these two (iCloud Drive access and CloudKit) into this one checkbox.

We recently transitioned iCloud sync for our Web Store version to use Apple's native iCloud implementation rather than our CloudKitJS library. So this would explain why you didn't previously encounter this.

Rudy

• desertman
    desertman
    Community Member
    Options

With iCloud Drive enabled the synchronization works again.

It would probably not harm if AgileBits would change the error message from "enable iCloud" to "enable iCloud Drive."

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@desertman - thanks for the feedback, and sorry for the confusion. The switchover from our own AgileCloudSDK to native Apple CloudKit was released in update 6.8.6. I'm glad rudy's suggestion helped, and feel free to contact us anytime if you have further issues or questions.

This discussion has been closed.