Use URL scheme to go directly to tag

Options
a1andreas
a1andreas
Community Member

Hi!
It would be really good if you could add a way of going directly to a specified tag in 1Password by using a URL scheme (on all platforms)

I'm working on a way of clicking on links in an internal company website to go directly to the related logins in 1Password, and right now this can partly be done by using onepassword://search/searchterm but it would be a lot cleaner and easier to understand when using this solution if I could instead go directly to selecting and displaying a specific tag in 1Password with for example onepassword://tag/exampletag

Does this sound like something you would consider implementing?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@a1andreas - it's certainly an interesting idea! The one caveat to this would be that it would need to be something we could roll out cross-platform, to maintain feature parity. I mention this because you posted your request in the Mac forum, which leads me to believe your company is using primarily or exclusively Macs. That's great -- but to be able to advertise this as a feature of 1Password, it would need to be something that people in mixed-device environments would be able to use reliably without the "gotcha" of "only on Mac."

One other potential issue I see with this is that while it would likely work in the All Vaults view, if you didn't use the same set of tags in every vault, you might experience problems with trying to select a tag that didn't exist in one vault; 1Password wouldn't switch automatically to the vault with the tag you entered. We'd have to give this some thought to see if it could be implemented in a way that a) is cross-platform, b) works reliably as expected and c) doesn't require too much tinkering with settings on the part of the user.

I'll definitely pass it along to our development team, and thanks for the request? To be clear with you, the answer to "would you consider this" is definitely yes -- we'll give it some thought. But due to a lot of priorities plus the considerations I just mentioned, I can't say when - or even whether - you'd actually see such a thing. In any event, however, we really appreciate the suggestion. :)

• a1andreas
    a1andreas
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks!
    I hope this will turn into an actual feature.
    And even better if we could have support for this, or at least the url scheme features that Mac/iOS has today on Windows too, where those seem to be missing entirely at the moment, or at least I cant seem to make it work with the Windows-version of 1Password.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@a1andreas - To be honest with you -- and I know how this sounds -- the upcoming 1Password 7 will have a lot of new features in it that aren't currently part of 1Password. I'm not saying this particular feature will be included, but what you WILL see is greater parity of features between different platforms (Windows, Mac, iOS and Android). There won't ever be 100% feature parity due to the differences in the OSes themselves, but things will look a lot more like they do on other platforms, once 1Password 7 is released. We'll definitely put your idea in the hopper and see what we might be able to come up with. Thanks for taking the time to think it through and to let us know your wishes. :)

This discussion has been closed.