To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Customer Service passwords

Options
alistairmck
alistairmck
Community Member
edited February 2018 in Memberships

Hi, when I call up company customer services, you normally give a password to customer service agent so they can gain access to your account, e.g. Sky, EE etc. just now most of these passwords are the same for me (one word) password in most of the account I have, but I want to put something like to make my password more complicated:

T 9 h E d u h Q u y b g t
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

As most companies ask for e.g. 1, 5 , 11 of your password

Is there anyway to do this with same profile as say Sky within 1password? Rather than writing a note

thanks

1Password Version: 6.8.6
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.3
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• mhyar
    mhyar
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @alistairmck,

Good job being proactive with your security. Here is what I do and what you can do.

If you go into login info for Sky you'll see "Section" and right under it an option for "new field". From there you can add all sorts of information (nine to be exact) and one is a password! You can then store those passwords there.

Let me know if that helps.

• MaxSiegel
    MaxSiegel
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi there, @alistairmck. @mhyar is spot-on with his suggestion. You can also enlarge passwords, so you can easily see which password character corresponds to which digit.

Now, this may not help you in this particular use-case, but you can also use that extra password field to create human-readable-yet-still-secure passwords. Try clicking the safe lock icon that appears when you create the password field, and use the word-based, rather than character-based, password generator.

This helped me out on a recent customer support call with my internet service provider (sigh), when the agent asked me for the answer to my security question. Needless to say, he was very surprised when he saw that it was something like upswing-wash-bunk. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.