To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

can I open a dropbox shared opvault from another user with my 1Password online account?

metalox
metalox
Community Member

I have moved to 1Password online account. I have a dropbox shared opvault from another user that we wish to keep sharing. Is this possible? Or do they have to also change to an online account for us to continue sharing vaults?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:can I open a dropbox shared opvault from another user with my 1Password online account?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

@metalox: Depending on what you're using (you left out any details about the OS and 1Password version you have) you may be able to use a local vault — such as OPVault — alongside your 1Password.com account. It isn't generally something we recommend or design for, so I will say that it may be a bit confusing or challenging (it would likely have to become your Primary vault in the app), and you may be better off inviting them to your 1Password Families or Teams plan; but it could at least be possible.

• metalox
    metalox
    Community Member

Thank you - that gives me an answer: no! But yes!

I didn't bother with platform or version, as it does not seem relevant to the question. FYI - I mostly use MacOS 10.13 with the latest version of 1Password - currently 6.8.7 and Windows 10 with the latest version of 1Password - currently 6.8.496 - but I can also access various Linux distributions. The point is I am using the "Membership" Cloud version (what is the official name?) not the older desktop version and they are using the older desktop version on MacOS / Mac OS X - but there are 2 different users (apart from me) and I can't tell you what version of MacOS / Mac OS X and what versions of 1Password they are using. The only common ground is a shared Dropbox folder.

Is there a "Membership" cloud version / platform combination that I could install where this type of sharing would be possible?

I agree with you : I am in the process of persuading the owners of the shared vault to move to some kind of online version, but this is beyond my control.

Best wishes

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

Thank you - that gives me an answer: no! But yes! I didn't bother with platform or version, as it does not seem relevant to the question.

@metalox: Haha no worries. Sorry about that! We're working on making the yes unequivocal. ;)

FYI - I mostly use MacOS 10.13 with the latest version of 1Password - currently 6.8.7 and Windows 10 with the latest version of 1Password - currently 6.8.496 - but I can also access various Linux distributions.

1Password for Mac version 6 (the current version) supports both local vaults and 1Password.com accounts. 1Password for Windows version 6 (current) supports only 1Password.com accounts, but version 7 (which is in alpha at this time) will have support for local vaults as well.

The point is I am using the "Membership" Cloud version (what is the official name?) not the older desktop version and they are using the older desktop version on MacOS / Mac OS X - but there are 2 different users (apart from me) and I can't tell you what version of MacOS / Mac OS X and what versions of 1Password they are using. The only common ground is a shared Dropbox folder. Is there a "Membership" cloud version / platform combination that I could install where this type of sharing would be possible?

On macOS, yes. On Windows, not yet. The problem you'll run into even when you're able to use both a local vault and 1Password.com account is that 1Password isn't designed for that use case, as the vast majority of people are using one or the other. Practically, how it works is that to unlock the app you'd be using the Master Password for the shared local vault in Dropbox, which is not ideal in your case since it sounds like someone else chose the Master Password for that. And changing it would change it for them too. 1Password.com makes sharing vaults a better experience in a lot of other ways too, but one big one is that you sign in to view all vaults you have access to in your account with your account's Master Password, not someone else's, even if they've shared a vault with you. I find that much more convenient for me, and much less confusing for everyone.

I agree with you : I am in the process of persuading the owners of the shared vault to move to some kind of online version, but this is beyond my control. Best wishes

I hear you. And feel free to send them our way. We'll be happy to help them make the transition. It makes sharing much, much easier. I used Dropbox for that for nearly a decade myself, and didn't at first think I wanted to switch. But when I saw that 1Password.com could take all of the friction out of sharing with my family after using it for work, I jumped in after all and haven't had any regrets. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.