To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

On standalone license now, question about memberships

autigers1970
autigers1970
Community Member

So right now my wife and I use 1Password on a standalone license. It's installed on the Mac and I have my login on my user account on the Mac and she has hers. And we both have the app on our iPhones. We also have one shared vault. But I just got the notice about the version 7 beta and needing to pay for a new standalone license, so I'm looking at the memberships.

Some of the features of the Family membership look nice, but I don't know if I really need it. I'm wondering if I signed up for the Basic membership if we'd be able to continue with the setup we have or if moving to the membership option would force us to the Family plan. Not to be a cheapskate, but it's almost double the price and I'm not sure I care about the added features and don't need 5 user accounts.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @autigers1970,

Do you and your wife want access to the same set of data? If so an individual membership would likely work for you. If not, then 1Password Families would be the way to get that separation.

With licensing each person is required to have their own license (licenses are per-person), so 1Password Families is likely to work out to be less expensive than licensing, especially when you factor in iOS (iPhones) as well.

Ben

• autigers1970
    autigers1970
    Community Member

So when the iOS version that has the 7 beta features is released, we'd be purchasing standalone again for those?

• Licenses are version specific (e.x. for 1Password 6 for Mac), so generally to use a new major version a new purchase is required, yes. 1Password for iOS is already at version 7 as it was the first app to get that upgrade, but in the future that would likely be the case.

Ben

• autigers1970
    autigers1970
    Community Member

Yeah, it looks like we're on Version 7 on our phones already. So for now I guess I'd just be paying for a standalone license on version 7 for the Mac and roll with that until Version 8 comes and be back at this decision again?

• Two licenses for 1Password 7 for Mac, if you want to go that route, yes.

Ben

• autigers1970
    autigers1970
    Community Member

I currently have a family license for 1Password. That wouldn't remain intact going to 7?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@autigers1970: 1Password 7 is a paid upgrade for everyone. 1Password.com members will get is as part of their paid subscription; everyone else will get it when they pay for a license. I'd encourage you to check out 1Password Families, since that includes all of the apps for you and the loved ones you invite (and the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data), and you can easily share vaults securely with them as well. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits. Cheers! :)

• autigers1970
    autigers1970
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

I mean, I understand that but it's one thing to pay $40-65 for a big upgrade for the whole family, then do that in another 2 years or so when the next major upgrade comes out. But $60 a year every year is just kinda steep to me. It's at least doubling the cost of having the application. Maybe I'm poorer than most and that doesn't bother other folks, I don't know.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2018

@autigers1970

As I mentioned above with licensing each person is required to have their own license (licenses are per-person), so 1Password Families is likely to work out to be less expensive than licensing. The cost of 1Password Families is about 16 cents per day, or about 3 cents per day per person if you utilize all 5 spots that it provides. 1Password is a premium product that takes a lot of hard work by a lot of people to produce and support. We feel it is well worth that, but of course every individual has to decide for themselves. You have to decide what value 1Password provides for you, and if it is worth the price.

Ben

• autigers1970
    autigers1970
    Community Member

Well, the standalone wasn't per person for me because I had purchased a family license.

I can appreciate that it takes a good bit of work to make 1Password what it is. But in going to this subscription model, you've effectively doubled the cost to me, at least since I was paying roughly $65 every two years (assuming there wasn't a special price offered) or so for major upgrades and would now be paying $60 every year. I do now need to decide whether it's worth it for me to stick with 1Password or find another alternative that's perhaps not quite as much.

Maybe I'd feel different if instead of getting my $65 every couple of years it went to $40ish every single year for the convenience factor. A $15 premium per year for convenience wouldn't be bad. Double the cost? Hmmm...

• I’d absolutely encourage anyone to try out the competition. We want folks to be using 1Password because they feel it is the best solution for them, not because they feel stuck. Obviously I think 1Password is the best solution, but there may be something else out there that better fits your needs. I hope you’ll decide to stick with 1Password, but no hard feelings if not. :)

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@autigers1970: I think you're missing the fact that the price you're talking about for licenses didn't cover all platforms. 1Password Families does. I don't think we'll start charging "convenience fees". The money people pay for 1Password goes directly into developing, testing, maintaining, and supporting the products. Otherwise you wouldn't be getting those updates, and there would be no one to answer your questions. It's a virtuous cycle. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.