Off the reservation here--XMarks is going away...

Options
adam1991
adam1991
Community Member

XMarks, the wonderful bookmark backup and sync tool that I've relied on for years, goes away in 6 months.

That functionality wouldn't be something you'd like to take on for your subscription users, would you?

A man can dream.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018
    Options

I totally forgot that XMarks still exists.

That functionality wouldn't be something you'd like to take on for your subscription users, would you?

That's interesting. Absolutely no promises, but I'll ask around.

ref: b5-4119

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

I totally forgot that XMarks still exists.

Not surprising considering, given its history. XMarks was pulled from the brink by being saved by LastPass and then LastPass was purchased. I never subscribed to LastPass/XMarks but it would be good to see a substitute nonetheless.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1::smile:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

I am uncertain if it is a suitable replacement, but Mozilla actually owns Pocket now.

Here is an article comparing some bookmarking addons:
    https://lifewire.com/best-bookmarking-tools-for-the-web-3486309

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2018
    Options

@all,

Who needs an xmarks converter added to the converter suite ?

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC to what were you thinking?

I actually use free xmarks and loved how I could sync in a non social data mined way my books marks across devices, oses, and browsers. The logmein folks I guess couldn’t figure out what to do with it once they bought last pass.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

AlwaysSortaCurious,

Part of the issue is that because XMarks has been around for years, pre Quantum, LastPass/LogMeIn did not want to modernise it so they dropped it rather than fix compatibility issues which I read about in addons.mozilla.org

Lots of legacy Firefox addons are already gone.

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member
    Options

True. But fixing issues is always worth it if you can identify revenue, you go for it. Honestly, it appears to be way off the reservation of the logmein business model. Aint their thing. (Still not sure when they are going to do something unexpected with LastPass like increase the price dramatically or kill the product or monetize your data).

So it dies of neglect ( the more they let the issues pile up the more issues there appear to be, the more Troublesome the product looks to them).

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Still not sure when they are going to do something unexpected with LastPass like increase the price dramatically or kill the product or monetize your data

From what I have read on the web after the purchase a dramatic price increase is actually expected... (not unexpected)

Maybe they already did? They recently doubled the price of LastPass Premium ($24/year instead of $12/year).

It’s still cheaper than 1Password, but I definitely prefer 1Password (UI, UX, support).

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member
    Options

Agreed. I was part of that crowd as I watched them test the waters repeatedly with logmein, change how the grandfathered old users, and then started to remove features from the free set and grandfathered users.

I don't pay for logmein or lastpass anymore (lastpass for lots of reasons)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Who needs an xmarks converter added to the converter suite ?

@MrC: <3

I am uncertain if it is a suitable replacement, but Mozilla actually owns Pocket now.

@wkleem: I didn't realize that! No wonder it keeps showing up in my browser! :lol:

@AlwaysSortaCurious, @XIII: Personally, I used Xmarks briefly something like decade ago. I was actually a much bigger fan of delicio.us, and we know what happened to that. Afterward I was never the same again, and have shied away from using bookmarks at all since then. Painful memories — and, without MrC, it was a painful migration process. :unamused:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty,

From the press release, Mozilla purchased Read It Later one year + ago in Feb 2017.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

I talked about this a few months ago

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/81557/bookmarks-manager/p1

1Password and a bookmark manager <3

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty A bit off-topic, but Pinboard is a nice replacement for delicio.us

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: Man, usually I keep up with this stuff, but I suspect I may have missed it because my subconscious was trying to protect me from bad memories. :crazy:

@XIII: I know, I know! That's what they keep telling me. But at this point I'm just not ready to love again. :cry:

@prime: Indeed, maybe we can do something in that area in the future. Sorry if my subconscious heartbreak bled into some of my earlier comments... :ohnoes:

• jwhitted
    jwhitted
    Community Member
    Options

I registered here just so I could ask about this. I would LOVE for 1Password to sync bookmarks across browsers/platforms. I'm pretty ticked about LastPass killing off Xmarks (it's bad enough I have to use LastPass at work...). Haven't found anything else as good as Xmarks. So mark me down as another who would love to see 1Password sync bookmarks. May not be likely, but I can always dream...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know! It's not something we have plans for right now, but the future is wide open. :)

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member
    Options

So, until agilebits decides whether or not they want to go that route, what are you all using? Anyone using bookmark ninja, pinboard, or raindrop ? Or some such (all of which seem to cost from weak free to as much as 1password come to think of it)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

I’m not sure what I’m going to do. I think it was raindrop that had questionable privacy issues that I didn’t like. I can’t remeber for sure. When 1Password X is a go for Firefox, I might just stick to Firefox then.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Personally, I wouldn't be concerned about privacy so much with bookmarks, but certainly that's not going to be the case for everyone for any number of reasons. Apart from a number of people I rather think a lot of recommending it to me, I really like this:

https://pinboard.in/security/

But while they offer a way to safely report security and privacy issues, I can't find any information on what measures are in place to begin with.

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member
    Options

According to the articles, I read on the website (ancient but still) it's basically a guy in his underwear in India who found a way to make a living with a no-frills application that fit the right need. It's also the cheapest of the bunch at a dollar a month. Hmmm just went there they have an archive service as well

"In addition to the free features listed above, Pinboard offers a bookmark archiving service for an annual fee of $25. The site will crawl and store a copy of every bookmark in your account, and display a special icon you can click to see the cached copy"

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty

Personally, I wouldn't be concerned about privacy so much with bookmarks, but certainly that's not going to be the case for everyone for any number of reasons. Apart from a number of people I rather think a lot of recommending it to me

I wish I remembered which one it was, but it actually said along the lines “we take all web browsing data” and I was think “umm no”. They don’t need to know my Transformer fedish :lol:

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member
    Options

You hide that well Optimus ;) @prime Not sure, I think they are all dirty at the end of the day, they start with that as an operating model. Except maybe pinboard.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

There is a writeup on Pinboard's author, which Pinboard competed with delicio.us and then purchased it last year, on June 2017.

https://theverge.com/2017/6/12/15746916/pinboard-founder-maciej-ceglowski-interview-yahoo-delicious-fandom

https://readwrite.com/2011/02/10/pinboard-creator-maciej-ceglow/

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member
    Options

Interesting. 1Password benefits / suffers a little bit from that fandom thing. Someone over there should read it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AlwaysSortaCurious: There's something to be said for living in your underwear.

Er...

Anyway, yeah it definitely seems affordable. I've just been burned too many times by bookmarks. If we do something in this area again, hopefully we can come up with a sustainable way of doing it.

This discussion has been closed.