To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Is old school sync (via iCloud, Dropbox, Wifi) disabled when you connect an App to subscription?

Options
alexauritt
alexauritt
Community Member

I've been using 1Password for years and have synced on many devices via numerous methods. (iCloud, Dropbox, etc). I've recently switched to the subscription service and in order to ensure security, I want to be sure that any old devices I may have forgotten are isolated and not being accidentally updated.

Any advice for how to ensure this?

One relevant specific question: when I connect an app (1 Password for Mac, or Android, iOS) to my subscription, are the old school versions of sync automatically disabled? If so I suppose I could update passwords and be reasonably safe, no?

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.3
Sync Type: Dropbox most recently

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @alexauritt

You can check what devices you have authorized to your 1Password account through your 'My Profile' page:

My Profile

One relevant specific question: when I connect an app (1 Password for Mac, or Android, iOS) to my subscription, are the old school versions of sync automatically disabled? If so I suppose I could update passwords and be reasonably safe, no?

Part of the migration instructions, and our recommendation, is to delete any standalone vaults you have after migrating your data to 1Password.com. Doing so will remove any link to Dropbox, iCloud, etc. If you've changed passwords and only updated those changes within 1Password membership vaults then only devices that you have connected to your membership would've received those changes.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• rubygrrl42
    rubygrrl42
    Community Member
    Options

What if you're syncing a shared vault in Dropbox. Now that I've added a subscription to move to 1P7, it seems my shared vaults no longer sync.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rubygrrl42: Vaults — local vaults, like Primary — which are not part of your 1Password.com account will not sync through that. You can use Dropbox to sync local vaults while still using a 1Password.com account for your vaults there, but it's up to you to configure sync for those. There's just no way for 1Password.com to be involved with that.

• rubygrrl42
    rubygrrl42
    Community Member
    Options

Gotcha, so my question isn't membership related, but a 1Password 7- Beta question. My mistake!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No worries! 1Password 7 works both ways. And we're here if you have any other questions. Cheers! :)

• rubygrrl42
    rubygrrl42
    Community Member
    Options

Well, since @Ben closed my other question about this, I suppose my question stands:

I added a subscription to move to the 1Password 7 beta, from my standalone license I had for 1P6. But now, I can't find the sync settings for my shared vaults. When a new item was added (days ago) by one of my partners, I had to launch 1Password 6 to see it. Did the syncing stop? And is this a function of my subscription, or of 1P7?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Well, since @Ben closed my other question about this, I suppose my question stands:

@rubygrrl42: Indeed, asking the same question in multiple places just slows down the support process for everyone — including you — and makes it more difficult to stay on the same page when trying to carry on the same conversation in different locations. :(

I added a subscription to move to the 1Password 7 beta, from my standalone license I had for 1P6. But now, I can't find the sync settings for my shared vaults. When a new item was added (days ago) by one of my partners, I had to launch 1Password 6 to see it. Did the syncing stop? And is this a function of my subscription, or of 1P7?

Neither. You will only have sync settings if you have local vaults in the app. It sounds like you don't. Can you tell me what you're trying to do? It sounds like you may still have some data in both local vaults (like Primary) sync'd with Dropbox and your 1Password.com account, but you only have the account setup on 1Password 7. Is that correct? Those are not at all connected. Do you plan on using both going forward? It's generally not recommended since that will complicate things for you considerably, but I'll be happy to share my own experience if that helps. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• rubygrrl42
    rubygrrl42
    Community Member
    Options

When I launched 1Password7 for the first time, it "migrated" my data from 1Password6. This included my Dropbox synced vaults that I share with others. I have no clue if they are "local" or not, but I can't see any updates that my partners are making, and they don't see mine.

• rubygrrl42
    rubygrrl42
    Community Member
    Options

I understand now!

The process of migrating from 1P6 standalone to 1P7 subscription copied these vaults into vaults on my 1P.com account. It did so without telling me it was disconnecting the items from Dropbox and my sharers.

"Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" from the "Advanced" settings menu was the magic that allowed me to once again connect to everyone running 1P6 and synced dropbox vaults.

If that's going to be the result of something in the migration process, I wish that had been made more clear.

Thanks for helping me understand this nuanced distinction!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rubygrrl42: Ah, sorry for the confusion there. Indeed, an account stored data in vaults on 1Password.com. Otherwise you'd still have to sync all of the data yourself. Dropbox isn't at all connected to that. Migration doesn't happen automatically though. You'd have either been prompted to move the data to your account, or you would have had to initiate that process yourself.

To clarify, do you want to continue using separate Dropbox vaults along with your 1Password.com account? To be clear, data will not sync between the two, but you can use both in the app in most cases. Let me know if you have any questions.

• rubygrrl42
    rubygrrl42
    Community Member
    Options

I figured out the Dropbox sync, deleted the duplicated vaults from my 1P.com account, and everything is working great now! Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. You are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• z_jerry
    z_jerry
    Community Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

So... I'm facing a similar situation to the above posters, but still am not sure I understand the solution and don't want to lose data. I'm a long-time 1Password user; had stand-alone thru 1P6. I migrated to a subscription with 1P7. However, I still need to connect to several Dropbox-based shared 1password vaults. Based on the comments above, I went to Advanced Settings and clicked the checkbox to enable "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts." The dialog that popped up sounds as if it's going to remove my cloud-based 1password primary vault and create a new local primary vault. I want to keep using my primary cloud-based vault and only access the dropbox-based shared vaults locally. Can I do this?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@z_jerry: If you remove the Primary vault from the 1Password app, you'll still have local backups of it, and that also will not affect any copies of it you've sync'd to iCloud or Dropbox. That's what this discussion is about, but it sounds like you're talking about doing the opposite: enabling local vaults (which would create a Primary vault). Can you tell me what you're trying to accomplish? That too will have no impact on any sync'd data unless you then configure that vault to sync, but it would be helpful to know why you're trying to do this at all. Do you even have a 1Password.com membership subscription account? It sounds like maybe not, and that's the topic here, so there may be some confusion. Let me know.

• z_jerry
    z_jerry
    Community Member
    Options

I do have a 1Password.com membership subscription account, billed through the app store. My 'primary' vault is now Personal, which, along with a couple other non-shared vaults, is managed via the subscription.

I need to access a couple of business 1Password vaults shared via Dropbox. I am trying to enable sharing through Dropbox without losing or affecting my subscription-related vaults. This thread has a message which suggests I need to enable "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts.". However, when I go to do that, 1P7 displays a dialog saying this would create a new Primary Vault. I do not want to change my primary vault from Personal (basically in the cloud) to a locally managed Primary Vault, I just want to add the capability to also access these shared business vaults (all of which are .opvaults) via Dropbox.

So...I found another Forum post (after I posted my question here) which suggests the Primary Vault created as a result of enabling "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" will not affect the data in, or my ability to access, my membership-driven Personal Vault, and that I can simply leave the new local Primary Vault empty, but use the newly-enabled capability to "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" to access the business shares via Dropbox. I am looking for confirmation from you that all of this is accurate before proceeding, particularly that saying "yes" to the dialog for creating a local Primary Vault will not affect the data in, or my ability to access, my membership-driven Personal vault.

• z_jerry
    z_jerry
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: I do have a 1Password.com membership subscription account, billed through the app store. My 'primary' vault is now Personal, which, along with a couple other non-shared vaults, is managed via the subscription.

I need to access a couple of business 1Password vaults shared via Dropbox. I am trying to enable sharing through Dropbox without losing or affecting my subscription-related vaults. This thread has a message which suggests I need to enable "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts.". However, when I go to do that, 1P7 displays a dialog saying this would create a new Primary Vault. I do not want to change my primary vault from Personal (basically in the cloud) to a locally managed Primary Vault, I just want to add the capability to also access these shared business vaults (all of which are .opvaults) via Dropbox.

So...I found another Forum post (after I posted my question here) which suggests the Primary Vault created as a result of enabling "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" will not affect the data in, or my ability to access, my membership-driven Personal Vault, and that I can simply leave the new local Primary Vault empty, but use the newly-enabled capability to "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" to access the business shares via Dropbox. I am looking for confirmation from you that all of this is accurate before proceeding, particularly that saying "yes" to the dialog for creating a local Primary Vault will not affect the data in, or my ability to access, my membership-driven Personal vault.

• Ben
    Options

That is accurate, however one caveat is that when a “Primary” vault exists the Master Password for that vault will be the one you have to enter to unlock 1Password. Changing the Master Password within the app for any devices that have a Master Password will change the Master Password only for the local Primary vault, and not for your 1Password.com account.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.