[BUG]? (Maybe) - Duplicate password and multiple vaults

Chaza218
Chaza218
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi there,

Not sure if this is the right spot to post.

Loving the new 1Password 7 :chuffed: . I especially like how the security part has been padded out.

One unfortunate consequence of the "Duplicate password" feature (great idea by the way) is that if you have the same login that is in both a Personal vault as well as a vault you share (I have a vault that I share with my partner for things we both log into infrequently) then it shows up as a duplicate password, even though they are just the "same" login.

On a similar vein, it would be nice if instead of having to make copies of entries in other vaults, you could share logins to a vault, so that when one is updated, all entries are. It would also be even better if we could have these shares expire. Common example for me is lending my partner my PayPal login. I either have to send it via a text message ( :-1: ) or have to add the entry to the shared vault (see problem above)

Any thoughts?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @Chaza218,

Thanks for reporting this.

One unfortunate consequence of the "Duplicate password" feature (great idea by the way) is that if you have the same login that is in both a Personal vault as well as a vault you share (I have a vault that I share with my partner for things we both log into infrequently) then it shows up as a duplicate password, even though they are just the "same" login.

That is intentional. There is no linkage between any vaults, they're all encrypted uniquely and have their own IDs. 1Password only knows that you have two vaults with two items that shares the same password, nothing more than that. It doesn't mean we won't know in the future, it's just not feasible at the moment.

Could you walk us through as to why you've copied it instead of moving the item to the shared vault? Moving doesn't mean your items are gone from your personal vaults, they'll be moved to your Trash folder, for you to recover in the future if need be.

On a similar vein, it would be nice if instead of having to make copies of entries in other vaults, you could share logins to a vault, so that when one is updated, all entries are. It would also be even better if we could have these shares expire.

We really really want to make this work but the complexity of supporting this is incredibly extreme. This involves so many various encryption keys in the mix, that it is just not sustainable at the moment. We're constantly keeping this in mind as we continue to improve 1Password and 1Password.com.

• Chaza218
    Chaza218
    Community Member

"Could you walk us through as to why you've copied it instead of moving the item to the shared vault? Moving doesn't mean your items are gone from your personal vaults, they'll be moved to your Trash folder, for you to recover in the future if need be."

For example, with my bank details. I have a 1password entry that I want to temporarily share with my partner (lets say she is calling them on my behalf), so I will copy it to the shared vault, but it is still fundamentally my info, so I keep it in my vault too.

I probably could just move it then move it back and I am making mountains out of molehills here, but it's just an idea :)

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @Chaza218,

One way you could do this is create a temporary vault, shared with her, and delete the vault afterward.

But yea, we'll want a better solution for this.

This discussion has been closed.