Feature request: Duplicate item view

CraigN
CraigN
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

As a long time user of 1Password I've gather many duplicates in my Vault. It would be great to have a view that identifies potential duplicates for manual resolution.

Additionally being able to merge duplicate entries where the username and password are identical would be fantastic. Not sure how they got there in the first place.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows & Mac
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @CraigN,

Thanks for writing in about this.

It is not quite normal to have duplicates. How are you syncing your 1Password vaults? Do you recall ever seeing a prompt from 1Password talking about merging two vaults while syncing?

I've been using 1Password for a decade and I haven't seen many duplicates and I have over 3K items that I've been syncing over time with WLAN, Dropbox, and so on before switching to 1Password.com service.

It would be great to have a view that identifies potential duplicates for manual resolution.

You can use the Duplicate Passwords category under Security on the sidebar to find all items with the same passwords. Usernames are always the same for most folks, so having the duplicated password alone should do what you're asking.

Additionally being able to merge duplicate entries where the username and password are identical would be fantastic.

It is not advisable to merge duplicates, they can carry over some baggage that you wouldn't want to see in the end result if you just manually delete the one you don't want.

• CraigN
    CraigN
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

I originally synced my Vault with WLAN back in the day and then switched to Dropbox ever since. Always a standalone original format vault and recently I switched to the OpVault format. I don't recall ever being prompted to merge two vaults.

I think most of the duplicate items are created by the Chrome extension when updating passwords for sites, etc. The extension used to prompt me to add a new site rather than update an existing site.

I had considered the Duplicate Passwords category which would solve that particular case in identifying duplicate passwords, however duplicate entries for a site with different passwords wouldn't be found. For example on some sites where 1Password saves a new entry for the site instead of updating it and then when you subsequently goto the site the Chrome extension lists 2 or more entries for the same site. It becomes a game of pick the correct one as its not clear how the entries in the Chrome extension are ordered as it only lists the title.

• @CraigN: The best way to accomplish this is to sort the item list in the main app by title to place duplicates next to each other, then look to the dates modified to decide which to get rid of. It is a manual process, but being 100% completely and totally sure that the right item is getting deleted is super important in this case. If we decide to automated this process, we'd need to be really conservative in order to avoid accidental deletion of data you wanted to keep, so in all likelihood we'd only delete items that match perfectly. In your case, where the duplicates are created when a Login is updated, such a process wouldn't help you.

This discussion has been closed.