1PW7 first time 1PW extension installation in Firefox authentication code missing?

Superfandominatrix
Superfandominatrix
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Had to refresh / restore Firefox today which led me to reinstall all extensions including the 1Password extension. If I recall correctly, old versions of 1PW/1PW extension authenticated with a code displayed in a browser tab before permitting the browser to access vault data.

Has code authentication been intentionally removed / not yet deployed for 1PW7? Or should that feature still be present but isn't happening on my set up?

Browser version: 59.0.2
Other Extensions present: uBlock Origin, Facebook Container, Privacy Badger

1Password Version: 1Password 7
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: Win8.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @Superfandominatrix,

Thanks for writing in about this.

1Password browser authentication is automatically done in the background for our Native messaging-based extensions, the manual code input process is only required for when 1Password extensions are connecting via WebSockets and WebSockets are phased out already for 1Password 7.

The reason is that WebSockets goes through the OS' network stack using the localhost address, so the OS is the middleman along with any other tools using that network stack. Native Messaging avoids all of that by allowing 1Password extensions to connect directly to the 1Password process, which means no middleman involved. Via this process, the browser authentication can be safely done in the background automatically.

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

@MikeT Okay, looking good then. Thank you as always~

• @Superfandominatrix: On Mike's behalf, you're most welcome. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.