Possible keyboard crashing bug in iOS 11.3.1

alanhoyle
alanhoyle
Community Member

I was trying to register a new credit card at discover.com/activate. The web form allowed me to select the login+password+number on the back of the card. When I tried using the 1Password extension to fill the form, it appeared to fill successfully (on Chrome and Safari on my iPhone), but afterwards, the keyboard was completely non-responsive. both Chrome and Safari would crash. When I got back to the springboard or any other app, the keyboard would crash continually. I had to reboot multiple times to restore keyboard functionality.

This happened several times. I did a work-around by copy/paste from 1Password.

I've tried a couple other logins, but didn't reproduce this error. I think the issue might be an interaction where it was trying to trigger the numeric-only keyboard for that third item. I tried disabling all third-party keyboards, also to no avail.

I suspect this might be an iOS issue, but I thought I would mention it here just in case.

1Password Version: 7.0.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 11.3.1
Sync Type: 1Password for families

Comments

• Hi @alanhoyle,

Thanks for reporting this. Could you please let me know what browser did this happen in? Were you in 1Browser within 1Password, or were you using Safari or Chrome? Do you have a way of trying to reproduce this issue directly, or does it require a new Discover card in order to get that far in the process?

Please let us know. :)

Ben

• alanhoyle
    alanhoyle
    Community Member

I did not try this in 1Browser originally, but I just tested in there and got the same results. I had previously tried in Chrome and Safari multiple times.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't even require actually checking the credentials:

Steps to reproduce:

Go to: discover.com/activate

(which rewrites to another URL, I think this one: https://card.discover.com/cardmembersvcs/acctxfer/app/Home?vcmpgn=discover_activate)

Select "Log In" option at the top (this brings up the login/password part of the form to fill).

Use 1Password extension to fill login/password.

The current app crashes, and keyboard is dead in other apps, the springboard, spotlight, etc. It doesn't seem to matter if there are multiple keyboards installed or not.

I'm on an iPhone X if that makes a difference, and I haven't tested this on earlier iOS or 1Password versions, but I never saw this kind of behavior either.

• Great. Well, not great. But thank you for the report. :) I was able to reproduce the issue and will file a report with our team.

Ben

ref: apple-905

• alanhoyle
    alanhoyle
    Community Member

Well, at least the bug is reproducible!

• :+1: :)

Ben

• alanhoyle
    alanhoyle
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

I haven't tested thoroughly (just in a current Chrome and Safari), but this issue still exists on iOS 11.4 with the current 1Password.

• Thanks for the update @alanhoyle. I don’t have further information to share at this point... but development is aware of the issue.

Ben

• alanhoyle
    alanhoyle
    Community Member

i finally got around to testing this on iOS 12.0.1 and 1password 7.2.1 I was unable to get the bug to occur again. I guess the complete revamp of password integration probably helped.

• That sounds like a reasonable assumption to me. Thanks for the update @alanhoyle.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.