Command to Show/Remove Local Configuration (Especially Locally Cached "Secret Keys")

Options
dmuller
dmuller
Community Member

Thanks for working on this tool -- it's nice to have another interface into 1Password.

As I started using this tool, I spent some time trying to track down what op did with inputted my "Secret Key" -- I gave it to the tool once and I had no idea where it was getting stored and how it was being managed on my machine. I couldn't find anything in the online doc pages or the op --help commands that indicated where the "Secret Key" would be stored on my machine, for what duration, etc.

Indeed, right now there is no official interface for a op cli user to discover where op is storing "Secret Keys" / local configuration. It might be nice if the op binary provided commands like...

• show-local-config
  • remove-local-config

That way, a user could 1.) discover (without rooting through the forums) that there is a local cache of data maintained by op, and they could have control over removing that cache (say, for example, if they wanted to "clean up after themselves" after using the op binary on a shared machine).

1Password Version: 0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @dmuller : I agree, it would be really nice to have commands to interact with op's configuration file. Good on you for asking those kinds of questions of software though. I hope you found the answer that ~/.op/config has that data, but you're right that the app itself should make finding that out much easier.

Rick

• dmuller
    dmuller
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks -- yeah eventually saw ~/.op/config mentioned here on the forums.

I'd really like to start integrating this CLI into my workflows, but there are a few pieces, e.g. commands to read/purge local config, that I'd also like to have first. Does the agilebits team publish a roadmap of features planned for the CLI? Or are there plans to open source the CLI code?

• It's great to hear that you're wanting to integrate the CLI into your workflows.

Does the agilebits team publish a roadmap of features planned for the CLI?

We do not, at least not when it comes to specifics. I can tell you that I want us to do a release that's focused on item management, but we haven't yet figured out what exactly that means.

Or are there plans to open source the CLI code?

Yes, open sourcing the CLI is something that I really want to see happen. There is no proprietary code in there and I think it would be awesome to have it be an open source project. Before we get to that point there's some things that I want us to do, but open sourcing the project is something that's on our mind.

Rick

• dmuller
    dmuller
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Rick!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Rick, you're most welcome! Thanks for your passion for 1Password. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.