Windows 1803 & 1Password Edge Extention [1803 changes how Edge works]

Options
lblalock_1Pass
lblalock_1Pass
Community Member
edited May 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello,

I seem to be having an issue with the 1password extension in Microsoft edge. I see that you must kill the edge process when you restart the computer to get it working but that still has not really solved my problem. If I walk away for an extended time it totally stops working. Everything works fine on the desktop app and chrome I am not getting any kind of error. It is just not responding at all. Any suggestions?

1Password Version: 6.8.534
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 1803
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lblalock_1Pass,

Thank you for reporting this!

It sounds like you bumped into a known issue with Spring Creators Update (1803) and Microsoft Edge. The thing is that Windows Spring Creators Update is launching Edge in suspended mode on every start up to help Edge launch faster. This also launches our 1Password helper processes which allow the desktop app to connect to Edge. Because Edge doesn't respond when it's suspended, everything breaks. In order to work around this issue, you will need to end end-task universal process when you close the last tab of Edge each time.

If I walk away for an extended time it totally stops working.

Do you see any Microsoft Edge processes in Task Manager, when you get back? If you do, have you tried to end them completely?

Thank you!

++
    Greg

• lblalock_1Pass
    lblalock_1Pass
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I have tried ending edge process and nothing. 1Password does not respond. I just rebooted my pc and ended edge with the green leaf by it and it does not seem to be working this time. I will try rebooting again. So then this is an issue you guys know about which is great hope we can get that fixed.

So whenever you walk away for long periods or it stops working that is when edge goes into standby mode and that is the reason it breaks? Is there a way that you know of to stop this from happening once you are using the computer?

• Kristian
    Kristian
    Community Member
    Options

@Greg
    Thank you very much for the explanation. Do you guys are working for a fix of this?

@lblalock_1Pass

Yes, I have tried ending edge process and nothing.

You need to end the 1Password Universal App. Then it works again.

• wirta
    wirta
    Community Member
    Options

any idea when you will launch a permanent fix for this? its really annoying. thanks

• MikeT
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi guys,

At the moment, there's no clear fix we can do on our side, this is a limitation of the inter-process communication between UWP (Windows Store app) apps like Microsoft Edge and Win32 desktop apps like 1Password. Windows 10 doesn't have a solid way for them to talk to each other like this in the first place. The issue started as soon Microsoft changed how Edge is auto-starting into suspended mode at every boot, which is an odd thing to do. Even if you're not using Edge, doing a clean start will still launch it and even in suspended mode, it still launched 1Password processes which we didn't ask for.

We are working with Microsoft for a solution but the best option is to put 1Password in the Microsoft Store but their Windows Desktop Bridge support have limitations we can't work around. The ball is mostly in Microsoft's court to improve Windows Desktop bridge, so we can bring 1Password to Microsoft Store.

For now, the best 1Password extension experience is going to be in Firefox and Chrome as usual.

• lblalock_1Pass
    lblalock_1Pass
    Community Member
    Options

Killing the UWP app works. Thanks I can live with that for now. Appreciate the help

• Eye_like_1Password
    Eye_like_1Password
    Community Member
    Options

I found that the temporary fix works fine. Here are my notes for users of the new Windows 1803 version:

Temporary fix
    1. Close Edge Browser (Edge must be closed, first, before going to the next step)
    2. Open Task Manager
    3. Under the “Background processes” list, select “1Password.Edge.Universal” (you may have to first open the “1Password” icon to see “1Password.Edge.Universal”)
    4. Then select “End Task” for “1Password.Edge.Universal”
    5. Reopen Edge
    6. The 1Password extension should work, again (until you restart Edge or reboot)
    7. You will have to repeat the above steps until the known issue is permanently fixed by AgileBits.

Hope this helps.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lblalock_1Pass and @Eye_like_1Password,

We went ahead and posted more info about this situation (and workaround) here:

1Password extension for Microsoft Edge on Windows 10 April 2018 update (1803)

Feel free to comment. We will also keep you updated, so please stay tuned. Thank you for participating! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Closing this, as we'll be posting any updates in the thread Greg linked above. :)

This discussion has been closed.