Feedback on the new 1Password mini

dfjg
dfjg
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I'm really not into the changes in the Beta 16 Chrome plugin. When clicking on the 1password icon now a huge window opens in the middle of the screen, totally obscuring whats underneath, meaning I have to drag the window away to see what's underneath, and then close and reopen the plugin multiple times (moving it away each time) in order to get the notes section to render. What used to be one click is now many click / drag / click / drag operations. Why introduce this now as a 'release candidate'? This should be for the next beta.

EDIT: Ok, I'll backtrack slightly as at least the window seems to remember where I last left so it's only multiple open/close operations required to retrieve the notes, but it's still borderline unusable. Please revert for the release.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MrRooni
    edited May 2018

Good evening @dfjg . Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us some feedback. Could you give me some more information about your particular use case? What is it that you're doing in 1Password mini beyond filling information into Chrome?

Also, have you tried popping your item details out to their own window so you can interact with them without them leaving the screen?

• Kristaps
    Kristaps
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Wow this thing is huge now. I feel like the new Mini has gone way too far in the direction of the full 1Password view, losing its utility in the process (and gained a sidebar).

I would love it if the team maybe wrote up the new design and the thinking behind it.

FWIW, I used the Mini to generate passwords for new sites, to access passwords for sites from another domain, and for filling in 2FA / bank login code card codes. Now it feels like the Mini has grown up to be just a slightly different version of the entire full view, or to be what the team wants the full view to actually be.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.0.BETA-16
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Hey there @Kristaps , thanks for the feedback. I've pinged @danvpeterson to hop in here and share his thoughts with you as the lead designer on the 1Password mini.

• dfjg
    dfjg
    Community Member

It's not 1password mini, it's the Chrome plugin, and it's back to the old problem of websites which require 'characters 2, 6 & 9 of your memorable word'. I always store these things in the notes, so when I get asked for '2, 6 &9' I can just click on the plugin icon, the window pops out, I see the notes and I fill it in. The new Beta 16 fails on two counts. 1: It's a huge window. 2: The notes section never renders first time, so I have to open and close it a few times until I see the notes. Previously it would open first time, and in a relatively modest window which still enabled me to see the original bit of the webpage which said which characters were required.

• @dfjg,

Not a Chrome plugin, that's what 1Password mini looks like in 1Password 7 for Mac.

Rudy

• dfjg
    dfjg
    Community Member

@rudy
    What's not a Chrome plugin?

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Moving my comment to another thread.

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member

I'm not liking the new mini, either. A few annoyances:

1. One has to move the mouse/trackpad much farther in order to select the login entry.
    2. Identities are way down the window below my credit cards. I have a lot of cards, so I have to scroll down to get to my Identities.
    3. The old mini had a menu that was activated on mouseover, making it easy to get to the desired entry. The new mini requires a physical click, slowing down navigation.
  • Hey @Kristaps, thanks for the feedback! We knew the new "mini" would be at least somewhat controversial due to it's initial size change and I'm happy to share some of the thinking behind the new design. The idea behind the menu bar app and browser extension has always been about super quick access to your data when and where you need it. With the previous design it was often confusing and slow for many users to get to the item detail view to copy anything (multiple sub-menus, a delay in showing the detail view to try and make it clear when item's are clickable for filling vs not). Many users actually never even realized that you could click an item to fill it in the browser (or go and fill in a new tab). They would always navigate to the item, hover and wait for the item detail view to show, and then copy and paste, or click on the URL to go to the site. With multiple sub-views you could also often end up with an item detail view covering up the original 1Password mini window with no clear way to get back to it.

For a quick search and fill, the old mini was pretty great but any time you wanted to do something beyond that it broke down for many people. Having everything in a self-contained window instead of opening multiple sub-views, and allowing two panes to show at once to navigate between items during search has been a huge help there. One of the biggest advantages I find in daily use is that I can bring it back up within a short period of time and it remembers where I left off so I can very quickly go back and forth to copy multiple details from an item to paste into another app or website.

There are a number of other advantages that I hope you'll discover and enjoy over time (quick surfacing of Credit Cards and Identities for filling, easier editing when you just need to make a quick change...). We also have some ideas for the future that I think will make it even better.

• MrRooni
    edited May 2018

Thanks for that feedback @verdi1987. You're absolutely right. By not anchoring 1Password to the top of the screen anymore there is a bit more mouse travel involved. I've filed an issue with your overall feedback (apple-issues#1266) and we'll take it into consideration as we make improvements.

ref: apple-1266

• greghoch
    greghoch
    Community Member

Quick search is broken in the new mini though. When I search for gmail, the first option is my apple account (because it uses a gmail address) but the first options should clearly be my different gmail accounts...

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member

Thanks, @MrRooni.

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member

@danvpeterson, ironically, I feel that all the advantages you list for the new mini were better handled by the old mini.

• No trouble at all, that's what we're here for.

• johnclay
    johnclay
    Community Member

@MrRooni

For what it's worth, I quite like the new centre-pinned pop up. Makes it much easier to choose from a long list of logins (managing client stuff, for example). Would be nice to make it an option, but please don't remove it.

• Oh don't worry @johnclay , the new 1Password mini isn't going anywhere; we like it too! Thanks for the kind words.

• @greghoch,

I believe we’ve got a bug filed on that (#1259). Pretty sure that wasn’t an intentional change, but waiting for further info from development.

Ben

ref: apple-1259

• @verdi1987,

Do you have specific points that you could elaborate on that might help us guide the direction we go for improvements?

Ben

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

@Ben, see my post here.

In addition to my previous comments, I feel there is way too much information presented in the new mini. (It’s not really even “mini” anymore.) With the old mini, the login, which is what one wants to access probably 80% or more of the time, was prominently displayed and only a few pixels away from where the user had just clicked to activate 1P mini (the toolbar icon). In the new mini, the logins seem to get lost despite being up top.

Entries in the other categories (non-logins) are used far less often and were neatly tucked away but still very easily accessible in the old mini.

@danvpeterson says: “...the old mini was pretty great but any time you wanted to do something beyond that [a quick search and fill] it broke down for many people.” In my opinion, “something beyond” a quick search is what the main application is for.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

I can see the advantages of the new 'mini' but would it be possible to change its size, especially for a small screen?

• Holgerr
    Holgerr
    Community Member

Hi @verdi1987 , on the first look your input makes sense: the new mini is a new midi ;-) Bigger, more information, not as elegant as the old one. But after some time working with it, I realize its power. Chances are great that you don't have to use 1password main window that often.
    Give it some time to get used to it! Information you don't need (categories, tags, smart folders) can be disabled in an easy way.

Quick search ist working for me @greghoch

And btw I like the way to extra click on the mini icon in the menu bar to activate its window. Just my two euro cents. ;-)

• nils_enevoldsen
    nils_enevoldsen
    Community Member

I love the new mini, but I'll give my two cents. I think the two-column layout makes the new mini feel heavier, like the full app, whereas the one-column layout (even with flyout menus) made mini feel lighter.

Now, I do like doing away with the flyout menus. Those were finicky. But I wonder if there's a way to deemphasize the sidebar. For example, making the sidebar collapsible. Likewise, when searching, maybe the item view doesn't have to be shown immediately on the right; it could be hidden until the user navigates to it. Maybe both of those are bad ideas, and I'm sure there are better ideas, but (somehow) making mini feel more like a 1-column interface might make it feel more like a utility and less like an app.

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member

I like @nils_enevoldsen’s recommendations.

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member

@Holgerr, when you say the information you don’t need can be disabled, do you mean hide the categories? If I collapse Categories, it just opens uncollapsed the next time.

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

I agree that the new “mini” is just too heavy. But l love the direction of the new “Suggestions” feature. My suggestion would be to return it to a smaller, single column UI that shows the ”Login” for the current website, then ”Identities”, “Credit Cards”, and then “Password Generator”. And underneath all that a mechanism to navigate the entire 1PW vault via submenus. That would be the best of both worlds IMO.

• jsugarstuff
    jsugarstuff
    Community Member

I'm also not liking the new "mini". Like @verdi1987 and @nils_enevoldsen said, it doesn't feel "mini" anymore, but more like the main app.

Before I could click on the browser extension and the pop out would be directly attached under it for me to select my login or a password to generate. Now the pop out is separated and showing up closer to the middle of my screen (I'm using a large 2560 x 1440 screen) which means I now have to move my mouse much further to click anything.

The new mini is also much busier. Before I could directly see the information I wanted cleanly... Logins showing first, then the options to use password generator or list my credit cards. Now everything is showing, including my long list of credit cards every time I use mini, which I don't need to, nor want to see.

If I wanted the functions of the full app, I'd open the full app (which is as easy as pressing the hotkey for Spotlight and typing 1p).

The main things I don't like are:

1. That the pop out is no longer attached to the icon, which creates friction in movement.
    2. Having the credit cards in full view every time I click the mini icon.
    3. The mini is now busier than before, again creating friction in movement.

A solution may be to create customization options so people can customize their view if they don't like the busy default view or floating pop out.

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member

^^^

Regarding #1 above you can reposition the new “Mini” window and it will remember its place.

OAW

• Narius
    Narius
    Community Member

Like what I see so far - except … Don't like that when I'm on a website, I used to be able to ⌘\ and it would activate automatically (on most sites), but now I have to press enter to activate (pretty much consistently so far).

• Vitorino
    Vitorino
    Community Member

I'm also not liking the new "míni".

The pop out is no longer attached to the icon, and is not longer MINI is huge with the left bar!!!
    Why!!!
    The old design was completely right, why the change!!!

Is a step backwards.

• tiantai
    tiantai
    Community Member

I'd also like to add that I do not like the size of a mini – it's way too big. Think about it: on a 13-inch MacBook Pro in Safari, it's occupying what feels like almost a quarter of the "useable" screen. By "useable", I'm defining this as the entire screen minus the static menu bar on macOS, and the tabs and toolbar of Safari. That's very inconvenient and blocks much of what I need to see in most login windows unless I move the mini window around.

This discussion has been closed.