How to migrate from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7?

2»

Comments

• murphy
    murphy
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

@brenty Thanks for the idea. I solved it with copying a backup file to my dropbox and using it on the new computer, since i had NO access on the start screen to the menu. ;) You should make an import button for the "old" files on the first start screen. It would help very much for upgrading users.

Anyway: Thanks for the solution tryout and have a nice day.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@murphy: That's where I'm confused. Unless you wiped out 1Password 6 before installing 1Password 7, it should load the database from 1Password 6. I'm glad you were able to work around it, but I wouldn't mind getting more details to try to figure out what happened!

• bkotrc
    bkotrc
    Community Member

I'm in a subtly different situation. I've been a 1Password user since 2010, and have been syncing my personal vault via Dropbox (as an .agilekeychain file). My company started using 1Password for Teams last year, and I've had 1Password 6 running on my laptop at work with both my personal vault (from Dropbox) and the company vault (via the team account through 1Password's cloud solution) humming along happily side by side. This morning, I followed the 1Password upgrade prompt on my work laptop, and when the beautiful new interface popped up, my personal vault (from Dropbox) was gone — only the work vault remained.

I took this as a hint that it's time to start paying for a subscription instead of one-off application purchases when major versions come out (which I'm fine with — it's a truly great product I'm happy to support). I created a family account, and followed the steps to import the existing .agilekeychain file from my Dropbox (File -> Import... -> 1Password Keychain radio button -> Choose File...).

The import stops part way through with an error ("Unable To Copy Item to Destination Vault — The file you are trying to import is not in a format 1Password can understand"). I ended up with only 112 of the 711 items importing successfully.

What do I do next? Is there a way I can export the items from the vault using one of my devices at home that are still running 1Password 6?

• murphy
    murphy
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

@brenty I never had 1Password 6 on the mac. It is a new Mac as i wrote above. The file is synced to the new Mac with Dropbox. I startet the new Install of 1Password 7 and it did not find the file in the dropbox. Also i had no chance to choose the folder of the Dropbox sync in the first Startup Screen.

So for you in small steps:

• 1Password 6 on MacBook Air with Dropbox Sync
    • 1Password 7 on MacBook Pro and a Dropbox Sync who was not seen by the new Startup Screen

Did you understand now the problem? ;) :) As conclusion: I moved from OSX 10.11 with 1P 6 to a new Mac with OSX 10.13 with 1P 7. It does not work painless ;)

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@bkotrc

The easier way would actually be to connect one of your devices running 1Password 6 to your new Family account and then perform the migration from there. Open up 1Password on one of those devices and, in the top menu bar, go to 1Password>Preferences>Accounts. On that page, you can add your new Family account to the app.

Once that is done, click the vault switcher in the top left of the 1Password screen (it should be a rainbow circle that says "All Vaults") and click on the proper vault underneath your family account heading (it should be called either Personal or Private). Then, click Help>Tools>Migrate Primary to Account. That should bring up the Migration Assistant to help you transfer all of your old data to your new membership vault.

Since you already attempted to import already, this will likely cause you to end up with some duplicate entries. Fortunately, 1Password 7 has a "Remove Duplicates" function that should help you there. Open up 1Password 7 and switch back to that Personal/Private vault using the vault switcher. Then click Help>Tools>Clean Up Duplicate Items.

• leavens9
    leavens9
    Community Member

+1 I also am unable to upgrade from 6 to 7 as I use a .agilebits file stored on Dropbox and can't figure out how to import it.

• bkotrc
    bkotrc
    Community Member

@Corey_C — that worked like a charm. I didn't even need to look for the "Migrate Primary to Account" item — a prompt popped right up once I'd signed in to the new Family account.

Many thanks for your swift response. Problem solved!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Corey, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@leavens9: You can import an AgileKeychain using File > Import. That will load all of the data, and then you can setup a new OPVault to sync in Dropbox. Let me know if you have any questions! :)

• Absolute
    Absolute
    Community Member

As a counterbalance, my transition from V6 to 7 went seamlessly! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@murphy: I apologize for misunderstanding. I didn't realize this was your first Mac. I thought maybe you just migrated from an old one, in which case your 1Password setup should have carried over too. There isn't a way for 1Password to automatically know you want to use data in Dropbox, and if it was in the old AgileKeychain format 1Password 7 cannot use it at all. But you'd be able to import it into a new vault from the File menu. Anyway, glad you were able to get it sorted. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Mike of Oxford: Glad to hear it! But if you do encounter any issues in the future, we're here to help. Cheers! :)

• sbakke
    sbakke
    Community Member

I really like 1Password and have been using it since perhaps 1Password3/4. I'm definitely disappointed that the process for switching to version 7 isn't what I would call easy.

First, I never had a 1password.com account, but OK I have one now. The problem is that nobody seemed to account for taking an old keychain as a starting point for using version 7. I saw the message about importing, but how do I get to that point in the application unless I click on the free trial part when I launch the application? All of the menu items are grayed out because it's the startup screen. Anyway, I have dropbox and my keychain is currently working fine with my iPhone, iPad, and Windows 7 laptop. I'd really like to get this machine working and not have to change all of those devices as well. Is it possible to re-install 1Password6? How do I get up and running? Do I just pretend I haven't used the program so I can use the import menu item? Also, what about all of my other devices as far as changing? I didn't choose to be in this situation, but I don't want to be punished for buying a license to the latest product.

A bit of background, my old machine died earlier in the week and I got a new MacBook Pro. I'm setting up the laptop as a new machine, so I figured I'd get the latest 1Password. There doesn't appear to be an easy path to use my existing keychain. On top of that, I apparently need to update my 1Password on the work laptop which is windows 7.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I really like 1Password and have been using it since perhaps 1Password3/4. I'm definitely disappointed that the process for switching to version 7 isn't what I would call easy.

@sbakke: I'm sorry to hear that. :(

First, I never had a 1password.com account, but OK I have one now. The problem is that nobody seemed to account for taking an old keychain as a starting point for using version 7. I saw the message about importing, but how do I get to that point in the application unless I click on the free trial part when I launch the application? All of the menu items are grayed out because it's the startup screen.

The setup screen has two paths: account or standalone. If you went with the standalone path (instead of account, which it sounds like you did), one of two things would happen: if you had existing data there already from version 6, 1Password 7 would just use that; otherwise you'd need to create a new standalone vault and either populate it from scratch or import from somewhere else.

Anyway, I have dropbox and my keychain is currently working fine with my iPhone, iPad, and Windows 7 laptop. I'd really like to get this machine working and not have to change all of those devices as well. Is it possible to re-install 1Password6? How do I get up and running? Do I just pretend I haven't used the program so I can use the import menu item? Also, what about all of my other devices as far as changing? I didn't choose to be in this situation, but I don't want to be punished for buying a license to the latest product.

Regardless of whether you use 1Password 6 or 7, it all works the same: if you're using a 1Password.com membership, you just sign in; if you're using the standalone app, you either create a new vault or use your existing data. It's really up to you. Once you decide what you'd like to do, give it a try and let us know if you have a question at a particular point.

A bit of background, my old machine died earlier in the week and I got a new MacBook Pro. I'm setting up the laptop as a new machine, so I figured I'd get the latest 1Password. There doesn't appear to be an easy path to use my existing keychain. On top of that, I apparently need to update my 1Password on the work laptop which is windows 7.

That explains it. If you're setting up 1Password on essentially a new Mac, there's no way for it to automatically use your existing data from an earlier version. But if your vault is in Dropbox, is stands to reason that a good place to start would be installing Dropbox. Then you can choose the existing standalone vault when setting up 1Password, setup a new vault and import an AgileKeychain, or double click an OPVault if you have more than one to add to 1Password.

Ultimately though I'd suggest sticking with the 1Password.com membership since that includes all of the apps and makes setting up 1Password on pretty much any device just a matter of signing into your account. I keep seeing people say things about getting "punished" for using a standalone license, but the opposite is true: this is how we all used 1Password for a decade; it isn't punishment, but certainly there's an easier way now. Otherwise, if you prefer to manage all of this yourself, that's your choice, but it's not like we're not offering an alternative. ;)

• sbakke
    sbakke
    Community Member

That explains it. If you're setting up 1Password on essentially a new Mac, there's no way for it to automatically use your existing data from an earlier version. But if your vault is in Dropbox, is stands to reason that a good place to start would be installing Dropbox. Then you can choose the existing standalone vault when setting up 1Password, setup a new vault and import an AgileKeychain, or double click an OPVault if you have more than one to add to 1Password.

Yes, so this is where I'm having the problem. When I launch 1Password, how do I get past the intro screen? I can't select the option where I'm a previous user with Dropbox because it doesn't recognize an agile keychain as a valid input. It would be a very useful improvement if the program would do that. Do I click the button to "Start my trial" instead? I must be missing something, but it seems that many others have run into the same thing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sbakke: Hmm. Thanks for getting back to me! Could you please clarify what you're seeing on the "intro screen"? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• sbakke
    sbakke
    Community Member

OK, here you go. Just to remind you, this machine has never had another version of 1Password installed on it. If I select the dropbox method, it only wants to search for .opvault files.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sbakke - thanks for including that screenshot. The reason 1Password 7's installer will only connect to OPVault files directly is because we've deprecated the older Agile Keychain format in 1Password 7. Agile Keychains were great in their day -- it was the first keychain we created ourselves, after using the Apple system keychain on the Mac -- but that was ten years ago, and we've had the newer OPVault format out for four years already. Many of our users have already switched to the newer format, and for some time now, 1Password has written all NEW keychains in OPVault format. With the simultaneous release of 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Windows, we decided it was time to finally retire the Agile Keychain with honors.

However, 1Password 7 certainly should recognize older Agile Keychains. Our process in the 1Password 7 installer for Mac was to import existing Agile Keychains, and convert them to OPVault format. Which is exactly what happens here when I try the same thing. Beginning with no older 1Password data (so, like a brand-new Mac), and only Agile Keychains in Dropbox, I get the same Welcome screen you sent the screenshot of. Clicking on Sync using Dropbox as my data source on that screen gives me this:

Clicking "Use Selected Vault" on that screen gives me the familiar 1Password lock screen, and entering my Master Password results in this:

Clicking "Convert" results in 1Password 7 opening with all my data intact and a pop-up that looks like this:

Afterwards, the contents of my Dropbox reveals that the 1Password installer has re-named my existing Agile Keychain to 1password.legacyagilekeychain (added "legacy"), and created a new OPVault with the old title: 1Password.opvault, and that my data are now synced with this vault.

That's what's supposed to happen. My guess regarding why it didn't in your case is that you may have had your Agile Keychain in a non-standard location in Dropbox? By default (as you can see in the screenshot above), 1Password will look for your data in ~/Dropbox/Apps/1Password, which is where your data should be located. However, if you've had your data for a very long time, you may have both granted 1Password access to your entire Dropbox directory and located your Agile Keychain in a very different spot within your Dropbox folder. Can you tell me whether your Agile Keychain was located in ~/Dropbox/Apps/1Password? If not, that's very likely the source of the problem. Not finding any data where it expects to, your only option is to choose another location on Dropbox, and when you do that, then yes, the installer is looking only for OPVaults in those non-standard locations.

You've got a couple of options at this point: I can show you how to create a new empty vault and import your old Agile Keychain on Dropbox into it, then write out a new OPVault to Dropbox and keep using 1Password that way, or -- if any of the above is starting to seem byzantine and clunky to you, I can show you how to do the same type of one-time import into the 1password.com account you created, and that'll be the last time you have to worry about sync keychain formats, file locations, API incompatibilities or anything else that can bedevil a sync setup predicated on a 3rd party sync service. Let me know how you'd like to proceed.

• JapanMCJ
    JapanMCJ
    Community Member

I'm having trouble migrating 1pw vaults on my mac (just upgraded from pw6 to pw7) to 1pw account. I think I read that the basic auto process won't work if you have multiple vaults. Which I do. Corey gave great instructions above (not sure why it is not documented in the primary instructions)
    1. Add acct
    2. Choose vault
    3. Help>tools> migrate.

That's pretty straight forward and it works for my Primary vault.
    However when I try to do the same thing for my two other vaults "migrate Primary vault ....." is greyed out. Which I guess that makes sense since I don't want the primary vault now.
    How do I get my remaining 2 (non primary) vaults and associated PWs to my account?
    Thank you

• AmyO
    AmyO
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

Hi - I just upgraded my iMac, iPhone, iPad and MacBook air to version 7. However my IOS devices and my iMac are in sync but not my MacBook air. I've tried closing it and rebooting, I also checked for updates and it's still not showing the same most current data as the other 3 devices. Also, when I go into 1password preferences on the air I don't have the sync option across the top. Otherwise, 1Password on the air is showing me that I am on version 7 and my software is up to date. Also, shouldn't my master password be the same for all 4 devices? It's the same on my air and IOS devices but not my imac? Please advise, thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm having trouble migrating 1pw vaults on my mac (just upgraded from pw6 to pw7) to 1pw account. I think I read that the basic auto process won't work if you have multiple vaults. Which I do.

@JapanMCJ: Indeed, with multiple vaults, 1Password has no way of knowing which, if any, you'd want to migrate where. For example, one could be a work vault that you would not want in a personal account at all. So we leave this up to the individual.

Corey gave great instructions above (not sure why it is not documented in the primary instructions)
    1. Add acct
    2. Choose vault
    3. Help>tools> migrate.
    That's pretty straight forward and it works for my Primary vault.
    However when I try to do the same thing for my two other vaults "migrate Primary vault ....." is greyed out. Which I guess that makes sense since I don't want the primary vault now. How do I get my remaining 2 (non primary) vaults and associated PWs to my account? Thank you

Indeed, the Primary vault migration only works with the Primary vault, for the reasons mentioned above. We would like to offer a similar feature in the future though, but it will require more setup. If you have other vaults, you can create a new one in your account and then move the items to it. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hi - I just upgraded my iMac, iPhone, iPad and MacBook air to version 7. However my IOS devices and my iMac are in sync but not my MacBook air. I've tried closing it and rebooting, I also checked for updates and it's still not showing the same most current data as the other 3 devices.

@AmyO: It sounds like you have a different setup on that device then. Do you have a Primary vault? Are you signed into your 1Password.com account there?

Also, when I go into 1password preferences on the air I don't have the sync option across the top. Otherwise, 1Password on the air is showing me that I am on version 7 and my software is up to date.

It sounds like you only have your account setup in the app. That's best, but it won't be useful to you if you haven't migrated your data to the account yet.

Also, shouldn't my master password be the same for all 4 devices? It's the same on my air and IOS devices but not my imac? Please advise, thanks!

The Master Password of the first vault/account you have setup in the app will be the one used to unlock. So if you've chosen different Master Passwords for different accounts/vaults and setup the app differently on different devices, you'll end up in this situation. Let me know what you find!

• JapanMCJ
    JapanMCJ
    Community Member

Hi
    I must be missing something and I have a new problem.
    1. Even if I create a new vault, since the passwords are not in my account (they are only on the vault on my Mac), how can I move them within the account? I see that I can move PWs one at a time from my "on my Mac" vaults to my vault in my account but I am hoping there is some group transfer function. Is there a better way than moving one password at a time? This vault has 68 PWs.
    2. New problem. I installed 1PW v7 on a new computer that is replacing my old computer that had v6 but was upgraded to v7. The old computer shows my account vaults and "on my Mac" vaults. The new one computer does not. I did not transfer the 1PW files to the new computer because I thought I would do everything via the web but that is not working out so well. Where do I need to copy the 1 PW files from my old computer to on my new computer (MAC) so that 1pw on my new Mac will find (and show) the passwords that are "on my Mac"?

Thanks for your help
    Paul

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hi I must be missing something and I have a new problem.
    1. Even if I create a new vault, since the passwords are not in my account (they are only on the vault on my Mac), how can I move them within the account? I see that I can move PWs one at a time from my "on my Mac" vaults to my vault in my account but I am hoping there is some group transfer function. Is there a better way than moving one password at a time? This vault has 68 PWs.

@JapanMCJ: Yep! Select All (⌘ A), and then you can move the items to another vault. :)

1. New problem. I installed 1PW v7 on a new computer that is replacing my old computer that had v6 but was upgraded to v7. The old computer shows my account vaults and "on my Mac" vaults. The new one computer does not. I did not transfer the 1PW files to the new computer because I thought I would do everything via the web but that is not working out so well. Where do I need to copy the 1 PW files from my old computer to on my new computer (MAC) so that 1pw on my new Mac will find (and show) the passwords that are "on my Mac"? Thanks for your help

Once you've got the data in your 1Password.com account, all you need to do is setup 1Password on your other devices with your account to access the data you have there. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• 0x2a
    0x2a
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

Sorry to bring this old thread up again, but I'm having trouble with the opvault -> my.1password.com migration as well. I've read your workarounds about loading the old vault and moving all the new items over, but in my case some of my vault items come up missing depending on the workflow taken. I sent support a screencast about this on July 18th, but was disappointed to not hear back. My background is senior software engineer with a phd in CS, thus I'm happy to do any advanced troubleshooting for you. That being said, I still make stupid user mistakes so let me know if it's me!

My workflow to reproduce the problem:

1. Start with 1Password 6 opvault (sync'd through dropbox) on old standalone license
    2. Sign into a separate my.1password.com account (my work's team account), don't merge or move any passwords
    3. Install 1Password 7 upgrade
    4. Add some new items, a secure note, a software license with an attachment
    5. On second computer: sync opvault from dropbox
    6. On second computer: install 1password 7
    7. On second computer: open opvault, the new items in step 4 are missing.

When I try other things like File > Import, there doesn't seem to be any option supporting "opvault".

Data integrity and security are the most important characteristics to me in a password manager. The data integrity lately is concerning to me. Please let me know how I can help to resolve this.

** I seem to have solved this with File Export > 1pif unencrypted on the old computer. Then import > other on the new on. That being said, I feel I would have been SOL if I lost access to the old computer. Might want to fix this!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @y3sh! First of all, my apologies for letting your support email fall by the wayside. We're usually pretty snappy with the responses, but when we've had dual near-simultaneous releases of full-version upgrades (to 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Windows), we sometimes get swamped, and have to declare (temporary) bankruptcy on some of our replies. We try to do triage and keep as many users satisfied as possible, and I'm certainly not attempting to suggest it's anyone else's "fault" (if such is even the right word)...you just picked a particularly slammed time for us. 🙁

I was able to reproduce the issue you've been seeing, using 1Password 7 for Mac on two Macs -- however, I was using iCloud and not Dropbox, so it's not related to the specific sync setup. It's something more to do with refreshing the read from the sync keychain (I think). However, I went a step further and tried something else which resolved the problem: I quit 1Password 7 for Mac fully on my second Mac (the one I did not create the item or add the attachment on). After Quitting 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^ ⌥ ⌘ Q and then restarting it from the Applications folder, the AAAAA software license shows up where it should be, complete with attachment. This leads me to believe sync from the first Mac to the keychain in iCloud (similar but not identical to the OPVault used in Dropbox) is happening correctly. I'll need to get one of our developers to look at this more closely, but what initially appeared as an "oh, crap" moment seems more like an annoyance than a true instance of potential data loss. Thanks for pointing this out, and I've filed a bug in our internal GH repo for this.

If you're still having trouble importing your existing 1Password 6 for Mac data into 1Password 7 for Mac, can you let me know where you are as of right now, and I can give you what will be the easiest and/or most secure method of moving forward? Thanks.

• 0x2a
    0x2a
    Community Member

@Lars glad to see the bug filed and that it is not touching data integrity. I truly appreciate the expedited reply!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

@y3sh - I'm truly sorry your first experience with our support was less than our best. Once you get one of us "on the case," things usually move pretty swiftly. But on the infrequent times when the waters of CS inflow rise above the levees of our team's ability to handle it, things can sometimes wait for a while. Internal bug is apple-1934. You can't see it yourself, but that's the number if you need to reference it in the future. Cheers! :)

ref: apple-1934, GNK-62626-277

• koffie
    koffie
    Community Member

This whole experience is pretty bad. I got myself a new mbp, and started from a clean slate, no data migration. Having been a long-time happy user, I decided to give the v7 trial a try, and was planning to pay for the upgrade/subscription.

However and could not import the vault in any way from Dropbox on the clean laptop. A quick google landed me in this topic, so installed 1pass 7 trial on the old laptop next to version 6, and it indeed asks to import the vaults, but it doesn't let me continue.

There is no trial option for me, just "get a license or subscription". It also decided to remove the 1password 6 installation without asking (well, it zipped it in the Applications folder, which was even uglier, but made going back easier).

This is not the only problem, I also have other vaults in the old format shared on Dropbox with clients who do not have 1password 7, so there is no way for me to upgrade - if I get everything migrated that is - without forcing them to upgrade too. The least you could have done is support old library format read-only.

I would have had no problem at all paying for this product, I always felt it was worth the money, but this whole experience changed this a bit. Now I feel locked in. I can continue using 1pass 6, but which doesn't have a future (which I understand), but it's not possible for me to migrate to 1pass 7 in it's current state.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @koffie! I'm sorry you've had a less-than-stellar experience upgrading 1Password 7 for Mac at the same time you switched Macs.

There is no trial option for me, just "get a license or subscription".

To be clear for both you and anyone else reading this thread, all 1password.com memberships (subscriptions) come with a full 30 days free trial. So while you're technically correct that you had to choose a license or subscription, the subscription itself has a 30 day trial. Was that not clear - or did something else happen?

...could not import the vault in any way from Dropbox on the clean laptop.

Sounds like you had your Dropbox sync keychain in the 10+ year old Agile Keychain format. The current format is OPVault, it's been out for about 4+ years now and we did indeed make the decision to formally retire (as in: not allow) the Agile Keychain format in 1Password 7. For the vast majority of the people upgrading from version 6 to version 7, one of the following things will be true:

1. They will be upgrading an in-place installation, with local data available on the Mac (not just in a Dropbox folder), and/or
    2. They will be using the newer OPVault keychain format, either because they started recently enough that that's all they've ever had OR (for users who've been with us longer) they will have already updated their older Agile Keychain to the newer OPVault format at some point in the past.

But if you are both working with a new Mac (or recently clean-installed one) AND you still have your data in the older Agile Keychain format, then yes, that's an edge case with a much less-clear path forward. However, not at all unsolvable (I'll get to that in a minute).

It also decided to remove the 1password 6 installation without asking (well, it zipped it in the Applications folder, which was even uglier, but made going back easier).

Right. This is by design. When you install a new version of nearly any app, it doesn't leave the previous version in place, and with 1Password in particular, having more than one version/copy installed and potentially running on the same device can cause all sorts of problems. So we zip up the previous installation so it can be either easily discarded by the user (if desired) or restored (if you decide to go that route).

I also have other vaults in the old format shared on Dropbox with clients who do not have 1password 7, so there is no way for me to upgrade - if I get everything migrated that is - without forcing them to upgrade too.

Unless your clients are using 1Password 3 for Mac (which is not recommended at this point) because they're on so old a version of macOS that they can't use more-recent versions of 1Password, they should be able to upgrade to at least 1Password 6 for Mac, which is fully compatible with OPVault. 1Password 5 for Mac is compatible with OPVault as well -- even 1Password 4 for Mac was the first to support the OPVault format (though its support was less stable than the three more-recent versions). What are your clients using?

If you're running a business where you're sharing vaults with clients, I'd strongly recommend looking into 1Password Teams, as the sharing and permissions control features are much more robust than what you're able to achieve with even the most creative Dropbox setup.

it's not possible for me to migrate to 1pass 7 in it's current state.

I'm sorry to hear that, but you have to do what's best for your current situation. However, I'm not certain I understand why you say that. I hope what I've mentioned here has given you some idea of how you can move to the newer version (at least, it seems so to me), but would you be willing to re-state the reasons why you think you can't? I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about getting started with a trial membership, or how to get yourself (and clients) migrated from Agile Keychain to OPVault, if you prefer that.

This discussion has been closed.