Favorites Sorting

Options
jnsmith02
jnsmith02
Community Member

I have always sorted my favorites by most used on top. I would like to request the ability to sort favorites in an upcoming update of 7.

1Password Version: 6 & 7
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_kevin
    Options

Hi @jnsmith02 ,

Sorting is something that different users will have many different opinions on, so we didn't set too many options before releasing. Now that we're getting feedback in such as yours, we'll be able to better refine the feature in the future. Thanks for taking the time to let us know!

Cheers,
    Kevin

• steven1
    steven1
    Community Member
    Options

Actually, the previous 'sorting' worked great, the change doesn't. Previously, I could simply arrange items in Favorites exactly like I wanted (by dragging items into a specific order) and it would sync that across all my devices. This ensured my favorites always looked exactly the same (until I changed it).

As it stands, with the ability to sort only alphabetically makes this particular view not very useful at all.

Please bring back the old sorting :-)

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_kevin Would love to add a +1 to bringing the ability to sort favorites back. Thanks :)

• luisalejandro_cc
    luisalejandro_cc
    Community Member
    Options

@jnsmith02 I agree, let me sort my favorites by order of most favorite to less favorite ...

Could be apply for all the 1Passwords versions on all devices.

• RickS
    RickS
    Community Member
    Options

I agree too

• Kimmo
    Kimmo
    Community Member
    Options

I also use the manual drag and drop sorting in 1Password Favourites and would like to see the old behaviour restored.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kimmo: You've mentioned this at least 3 times now. Thank you for the feedback, but in the future keep in mind that posting the same thing in multiple places slows down response times for everyone — including you. :blush:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iamecho, @steven1, @luisalejandro_cc, @RickS: Thanks for sharing your opinions! We're sticking with alphabetical for now, but nothing's set in stone. We'll continue to evaluate different options. :)

• Kimmo
    Kimmo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty,

When searching the forums I found multiple threads on the same topic. Just from looking at the search results, it was not clear to me which one I should pick. Each thread brings up different points. If you look at my 2 additional comments, they are not identical repeats of the one above, but each adds new context or ideas:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/433706#Comment_433706
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/433714#Comment_433714

I saw each as participating in discussion. I apologize if they appeared as something else to you.

I cannot edit (or delete) old comments, so what would be your preferred solution for contributing to more than one discussion on a topic?

• steven1
    steven1
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty

Thanks for sharing your opinions! We're sticking with alphabetical for now, but nothing's set in stone.

The current versions of the iOS app still allow manual sorting and Frequently Used Items, both extremely useful features. This presents a distinctly different experience across these two platforms.

Thanks for considering!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

@steven1: I don't see where it's possible to sort Favorites in 1Password for iOS version 7. Can you clarify?

But yeah, we do want to update the iOS version now that the new Mac app is out of beta. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kimmo: No need to apologize. It's just going to be more difficult to respond and track feedback to determine if changes are needed when comments are left in multiple places. A request for a feature on a particular platform is helpful though. I've closed the old Mac beta thread, as that beta has come to an end. :)

• Carroll
    Carroll
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Really disappointed that you are staying with alpha for now. Drag and drop really improved my workflow.

• daniel110928
    daniel110928
    Community Member
    Options

I found an issue regarding the syncing (macOS <-> iOS) the sorting order for the Favourites; I also posted it to https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/83927/how-do-you-reorder-favorites-now-in-version-7-0-70000001/p2

Let me start off by saying what an awesome update the macOS version 7 is! :)

I think I found a bug in that the Favourites sorting by "Title alphabetically" is not syncing from macOS to iOS as it should though. :'(

The iOS Favourites list seems to be sorting on either "as manually" (from v6) or the order which they where added to the Favourites list on iOS.

And to finnish this post off, I would like to make a feature request (hoping it will come true soon-ish :)); it would be super useful to have the option to sort by "Category alphabetically" on macOS and have that sorting order carried over to iOS.

Any one else having these issues?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Carroll: I'm glad if it was helpful to you, but it was broken for most. If we're to have that feature return, we'll have to find a good way of reconciling custom ordering between multiple vaults. Assigning values to each within a vault as we'd been doing has unpredictable (and therefore unusable) results in All Vaults, which is how most people have been using 1Password since version 6. :blush:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@daniel110928: Please don't post the same thing in multiple places. It not slows down the response time for everyone — including you — but also will make it more difficult for others to discuss this with you, since there will be multiple places to try to do so. :blush:

• BoxCar
    BoxCar
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Favorites custom sort lost after 1Password 7 Mac.
    1. Why was the actual ability to arrange Favorites the way the user chooses stripped from 1P 7?
    2. Why is the GUI still there for drag and drop to reorder? It makes it even more confusing.
    3. Why is there a checkbox to sort by ‘Title' when that’s the ONLY OPTION? How about a second checkbox for 'Manually’?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BoxCar - part of the issue here comes from the fact that such sorting is done differently across platforms; what works on one OS may have unexpected behavior on another. Most users use at least two platforms (a "desktop" OS as well as a mobile), and some use all four, so we need to have a solution that works cross platform. Then there's also the matter of shared vaults, whether using Dropbox manual sync or from the 1password.com server. 1Password 6 for Mac was the last of our versions that was begun before 1password.com accounts were truly well under way, so many of the questions we're facing now didn't exist in previous versions of 1Password. Such as: how should an item from a vault shared amongst thirty people that's been marked favorite behave? Should marking it as a favorite immediately mark it as a favorite for everyone with access to the vault? No one except the user? These are some of the challenges in maintaining a Favorites list at all, let alone allowing for customized sorting that's expected to be synced cross-device. It's something we'd like to improve, but it's not quite as simple as it may sound.

• BoxCar
    BoxCar
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

OK, then...
    2. Why is the GUI still there for drag and drop to reorder? It makes it even more confusing.
    3. Why is there a checkbox to sort by ‘Title' when that’s the ONLY OPTION?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BoxCar - because this is a work in progress. :) We don't intend to leave it with only this sorting, and in the meantime, we're not removing the code for it just yet.

• daniel110928
    daniel110928
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Aha, sorry about that! I though it was an macOS <-> iOS issue and posted it in both groups, but I looks like I was just food by an illusion. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@daniel110928: No worries, I'm sorry for the confusion around this. We'll continue to work on it to make it more consistent. :blush:

• steven1
    steven1
    Community Member
    Options

After almost a month of using 1P7, by far the biggest drag on my 1P productivity and workflow has been the loss of custom ordering of Favorites.

While I understand that most AB staff probably have vault counts in the double digits, thus making custom ordering of favorites across vaults harder to do, my (wild) guess is that the majority of your subscribers have a small number of vaults. I suspect (again, wildly) that many actually spend their life in a small number of vaults moving consciously between them.

For such users, custom ordering of favorites (along with always opening to favorites) is a real boost.

I hope you can find a way to bring it back, even if the custom ordering is only per vault, like the both the iOS and macOS versions already used to do. I.e. It is OK that in All Vaults view, first I see the custom ordering for Vault 1, then the custom ordering for Vault 2, etc. The fact that you have additional sort capabilities now already helps people that don't have this workflow.

• Rick1
    Rick1
    Community Member
    Options

I absolutely agree with steven1. I cannot work quickly without the ability to sort Favorites. It's demoralizing to see 1P7 as a problem. Please fix it soon. I may go back to working with 1P6 until this is repaired.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@steven1: Most 1Password.com members have a number of vaults greater than one and use the All Vaults view primarily, and that's where there are issues with Favorites sorting. I think you're probably right that we at AgileBits have more vaults than most people, but we have less than you think. We hear from a lot of companies using 1Password Teams/Business that have many more -- dozens and even hundreds. I think custom sorting on a per-vault basis could be a workable solution...but it would mean a lot of people would have to move away from their All Vaults workflows to take advantage of it. But then again, pretty much solution in this area would involve tradeoffs. Definitely something to consider.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Rick1: Thanks for your feedback on this. It's not something we can "fix" because it isn't broken in 1Password 7; it was broken in 1Password , and that's why we removed it. I do hope we'll be able to find a solution that helps with your use case though.

• webregnet
    webregnet
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

+100

Manual sorting is just a basic, and it's more than useful when you have more than 50 favorites and they are just set now in alphabetical.
    Why not not 'most used' or other sort way.

It's unbelievable that useful good stuff in past version are just remove for some obscure reasons...

I did my investigation around me. On 29 1P users I know, all of them sorted their Favorites manually in PF6.

Where did common sense go?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@webregnet: Not obscure at all. As mentioned previously, manual sorting has been broken for a long time for anyone using multiple vaults.

Anyway, I like "most used". Not sure everyone would be happy with that, but I would hate to have to manually sort dozens of items. Food for thought. :)

• webregnet
    webregnet
    Community Member
    Options

An other amazing 'concept' of leaving broken things in that state.

We are surely not working in the same kind of company ;-)

• Ben
    Options

There are only so many hours in the day. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.