Disable fancy formatting [markdown] in secure notes?

Options
StarPine
StarPine
Community Member
edited July 2018 in Mac

Hi 1password,

The new secure notes are a real mess after the upgrade. I was hoping for a simple (command+B=bold) formatting, not using a bunch of special characters.
Even more annoying is the refresh of the secure note after each edit.
When I have quite a large secure notes I want to scroll down, see the change I want to make and edit that specific view, but when I press command+E the secure notes jumps back to the top and I need to scroll down again.

After the upgrade all my secure notes are messed up, multiple tabs cause some kind of formatting but the normal editing view is ok, the pretty version just looks awful.
Can I disable the fancy formatting altogether? This has no value for me at all.
Kind regards,

Jeffrey Epping

ref: apple-460

1Password Version: 7.0.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• BrBill
    BrBill
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for this feature. I have hundreds of passwords, most with notes, and I'm worried that somehow some of them will have unintended Markdown formatting to them, breaking how they appear. Please let us turn off formatting, for speed and accuracy's sake.

• Donaldd
    Donaldd
    Community Member
    Options

+1, a plain text note is a much more reliable way to store the so-called "note" as it is a place for the note related to the entry.
    It is (relatively) ok to turn on the formatting feature in the standalone secure note entries by default, however I think it is better to keep the notes in the password/login entries in plain-text.
    Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @StarPine! The "bunch of special characters" you're referring to is called Markdown. It's a way of formatting text that works conveniently across platforms. It's been around for a few years now, and tends to work much more reliably than something like RTF, which relies on platform-specific identifiers for its cues. It's also much easier to incorporate into the encryption model that we (obviously) need to use in 1Password. You can read a primer on the formatting marks we use in 1Password, or if you're really interested, you can check out Markdown author John Gruber's original documentation for it -- but be aware that we did not adopt the full set of commands, only the ones you see in our support page for Markdown.

After the upgrade all my secure notes are messed up, multiple tabs cause some kind of formatting but the normal editing view is ok, the pretty version just looks awful.

Were/are you using any of the text-commands you see in our version of Markdown for your own usage? Slashes, underlines, hashtag (pound symbol), etc? If so, that will account for what you're seeing. If not, something else may be going on; we've had no other instances of the Markdown changes ruining someone's Secure Notes.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Donaldd - Thanks for weighing in. This is a perfect example of not being able to please everyone. Our customer base is large enough now that any change we make will please some set of users and irritate others. Prior to 1Password 7, one of our perennially most-requested items was formatting in Secure Notes (and Notes fields in general), and many of those specifically requested Markdown. It's not a change we're likely to revert any time soon, after having just released it, but we'll definitely look into making it more stable and useful. Thanks for posting! :)

• StarPine
    StarPine
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars,

Thank you for your vision on this, I understand you can't please everybody, but somehow my secure notes get garbled when using the TAB key to make entries like hardware or personal info a bit more readable.
    So for the first entry I use one or two tabs, but for the next line to get outlined nicely I use 3 of 4 tabs to get it even.

I hope this example is clear enough, it does not happen to every TAB is use, but sometimes it does and I can delete the tab to fix this issue, but it seems markup sees my data differently.
    So when opening a secure note, my overview looks very messy with these grey lines in a different fontsize and all the tabs are gone in my secure notes seemingly. Until I start to edit, then all the tabs are there and everything looks way better than formatted.

It seems like tabs envoke an undocumented feature?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

One way of preserving the tab characters in 1Password 7 is make the relevant text pre-formatted text by enclosing the start and end of it with three back ticks like this:

Here is some pre-formatted text.

So the markup looks like this:

```
    {tab} Here is some pre-formatted text.
    ```

The result may not be as elegant as you wish but at least the tab character is preserved.

Stephen

• StarPine
    StarPine
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your input, but for each client I keep a secure note for hardware for instance.
    Using those back ticks would be a lot of work and would make the plain text unreadable.
    The tab is not mentioned as being pre-formatted, so why does it behave like that sometimes? It's not with every tab.
    Currently I have more than a hundred of secure notes who all look nasty in preview mode, the edit mode looks fine.
    So why do I have to adapt when this feature seems broken for tabs.

It seems like disabling the tab function for markdown would suffice. Adding this to preferences should do, right?
    Now I need to adapt to a new '''feature''' which seems broken, at least for tabs.

The jump towards to top when editing and saving secure notes is just as annoying. I keep scrolling... :(

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@StarPine - thanks for the perspective. I'll mention your use-case to our developers, as we definitely want to refine the new text features in Secure Notes and Notes fields as we move forward.

• StarPine
    StarPine
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars, thank you!
    Looking forward to it, if there is anything I can do to help let me know.
    For now deleting tabs works or just ignoring the rendered text works as well.
    But that scrolling thing, that would be nice.
    Scroll down in a secure note, edit the text and remain on that spot, would be very nice.
    Right now there for me, there is a huge gap between the simple plain text view of a secure note and the rendered version.
    Tabs do not show, some text is formatted automatically, for me it is not: WYSIWYG
    Thanks again!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@StarPine -- we appreciate the offer for help! Right now, gathering people's use-cases and figuring out how to best refine the text editing and display process in 1Password 7 is some of the best help we can get. But we'll let you know if we think of anything else. Thanks!

• StarPine
    StarPine
    Community Member
    Options

To me it seems two things need some finetuning:
    v6 looks fine, when editing remains the same and when saving remains in the same place.
    v7 tabs are not visible, when editing tabs are all there, and when saving the secure notes defaults back to the top.

If there is anything I can do to help, let me know!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@StarPine - thanks for the offer, and the specific steps. :)

• StarPine
    StarPine
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Lars , the latest version of 1password 7, 7.0.7, did improve some of the markup preview. Font is different and the layout seems a bit more compressed. But in this version when using tabs, some texts still get formatted as markup

I uploaded two screendumps, one when using the edit mode, one when the text is rendered.

The other issue when scrolling down and editing, then saving the edit, which brings you back to the top is highly inefficient. Could that be resolved as well.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @StarPine. :+1: Glad to hear there has been some improvement. As a very new feature we realize there is still room for more.

Ben

• StarPine
    StarPine
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben in this case I would strongly like to request to enable or disable fancy formatting alltogether, editing long texts is a nightmare. I want to save regularly by default, but every single time after a save, the rendering takes me back to the top of the secure note.
    That is highly annoying and counter productive.
    Present fancy formatting as a feature which can be disabled or enabled, but keep the good stuff.
    Now I am stuck with ugly formatted texts, looking weird and messy while my edits and saves bring me back tot the top every single time.

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Please add me as another user requesting a disable feature for the new text formatting. Ideally, I would prefer to have the new formatting disabled by default, with an an "enable" feature added. That way I would not not have to deal with formatting surprises for a quick edit, but I could enable specialized formatting if I wanted to use it.

• Ben
    Options

We do hope to implement something along these lines. Unfortunately I don't have anything more specific than that to share at this point.

Ben

• seattle_expat
    seattle_expat
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for giving users the option to disable Markdown in their notes.

Something like an easy toggle switch at the top of each note. I'm like @StarPine and have made extensive use of Notes over the years, and it would be a major undertaking to go back and reformat everything with the new Markdown. In the spirit of not being able to please everyone, at least giving the users an option to disable it would be a giant step forward.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@seattle_expat - thanks for weighing in. :)

• Uncle
    Uncle
    Community Member
    Options

Please add me to the list of folks wishing to be able to disable markup in Secure Notes. After upgrading to 7 I discovered that cutting and pasting text from a secure note no long works correctly because things like an asterisks in the text are not shown unless I select edit. This isn't universal, so I suspect it's some combination of special characters in the random text strings that is triggering the lack of rendering.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Uncle - and everyone else in this thread - I have a treat for you. :)

If you're willing to try out a beta version of important software like 1Password, you can grab yourself a copy of 7.2.2.BETA-4 and install it. Make sure you Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) first, but when you restart 1Password and unlock, head over to Preferences > General and take a gander at the newest preference:

If you're the type who's not into running beta software, don't worry: you may have to wait a bit longer, but 7.2.2 proper will be out in the not-too-distant future, barring any unpleasant surprises, so you shouldn't have much longer to wait either. :)

• Uncle
    Uncle
    Community Member
    Options

Awesome!! Won't be using a beta for something of this magnitude, but I will keep my eye out for 7.2.2!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Uncle - stay tuned, then! :) :+1:

• StarPine
    StarPine
    Community Member
    Options

Took a risk and just installed the latest Beta and this is wonderful!
    Deactivated the markdown option and all secure notes are back to normal now. Great!

Tabs and other characters are respected in the text, no weird views anymore, just the plain secure notes and nothing more. I am happy!
    Looking back, I was really hoping markdown would enrich my secure notes, but I did nothing of the sort, for me it made a mess. So going back was a great deal for me and I guess others as well.

Now just one more thing: editing a secure note, saving it somewhere on the bottom of my secure note, always brings me back to the top. I would like to edit, save and remain in the same place where I left of. I guess I will open a new topic after this 7.2.2 version gets released. For now great work guys @Lars @Ben and all others working hard on this great piece of software.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@StarPine - it wasn't a common request, but I'm glad it's made your 1Password easier. :)

• StarPine
    StarPine
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars it did, thanks! Have a great weekend.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You too! Thanks again for the feedback! :)

• StarPine
    StarPine
    Community Member
    Options

The final version is out 7.2.2 which works nicely. It is still rendered, but not formatted anymore which works fine for me.
    Strangely enough I can no longer use tabs in my secure notes:
    So I can copy my tabs, paste tabs, but cannot use tabs to differentiate my secure notes for logins, passwords and more. I know the rendering shows one or more tabs differently, but before this version a couple of days, weeks ago it just worked.
    What happened? I have sent in a bug report, but perhaps someone else has the same problem.
    So using tabs (above Caps lock) does nothing anymore in secure notes... weird right?
    I have changed system preferences back to default, but nothing helps, in other programs tab works fine. It's just in a secure note that tabs are no longer seen as input...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's intentional. Tabs are supposed to switch between fields. Not doing so means getting "trapped" in a field with no way to get out of it using the keyboard...and that's especially bad for folks who rely on accessibility devices/features to use their computer.

• seattle_expat
    seattle_expat
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to circle back and say THANK YOU AGLIE BITS for giving us the option to disable Markdown in version 7.2.2.

This discussion has been closed.