1Password Mini (Chrome) reports invalid password, requires restart of app to authenticate

Options
justintimen
justintimen
Community Member

When attempting to authenticate via 1Password Mini in Chrome, 1Password indicates that my master password is invalid.

• If the 1Password app is already open when this occurs, the app will also report that the master password is invalid.
  • Closing the 1password app and reopening it allows me to authenticate via the app, which unlocks 1Password Mini. This always works and is the only way I've found to successfully unlock my vault when I've typed the password correctly but it's reported as invalid.

Additional info:

• I'm using the standalone versions of 1Password, not the cloud subscription.
  • This has been happening for 6+ months, but I'm unsure when it first began.
  • It doesn't seem to be related to a master password change, as I'm ultimately able to authenticate using the same, current password across all my devices.
  • The issue has now spanned 2 versions of OSX for me: Sierra and High Sierra
  • I've never seen this problem on 1Password 4 for Windows.

I've searched the forums for this issue and can't find anything similar. Any help with why this might be happening?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: OSX 10.13.4
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:invalid password

Comments

• justintimen
    justintimen
    Community Member
    Options

Another set of failure/reproduction steps for this issue:
    1. 1Password Mini (incorrectly) fails to authenticate while the 1Password app is open.
    2. Attempt to authenticate via the (already open) 1Password app fails.
    3. Close the app and reopen.
    4. Attempt to authenticate via 1Password Mini fails.
    5. Attempt to authenticate via the 1Password app fails.
    6. Close the app and reopen.
    7. Attempt to authenticate via the 1Password app fails.

So, it seems like this may be related to failed authentication within 1Password Mini, since without step (4), I can consistently authenticate via the reopened app when I hit this issue.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @justintimen! I'm sorry for the ongoing trouble you're having. And yes, I have a few thoughts about what might potentially be wrong. However, there's multiple possibilities here, and rather than trying to play 20-Questions with specifics of your 1Password setup here in this public forum, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

—Windows—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?windows

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics emails before sending them:

[#NZI-42423-924]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @justintimen only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: NZI-42423-924

• justintimen
    justintimen
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars I think I may have finally figured out what causes this. I haven't tried it with the old 1Password Mini setup, but I'm using the Firefox extension (not 1Password X) + 1Password 7 for Mac.

The setting Keyboard > Text > "Add period with double-space" seems to be the culprit, as I have multiple spaces strung together in my password. Toggling this on (auth fails) and off (auth succeeds), I can consistently reproduce the issue.

I haven't tried other Text settings to see if they also sneakily affect password entry.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @justintimen! I think what you have found makes perfect sense, that setting could definitely cause some issues in case the Master Password includes multiple spaces one after the other.

This discussion has been closed.