Mac 1Password 7 no syncing option

raroche
raroche
Community Member

Mac OS - 1Password 7 - there is no syncing preference - It works fine on my laptop but on my iMac there is no syncing option in preferences! Help. I upgraded to a 1Password account and was able to sign into that just fine. I set both my iPhone, iPad and laptop to use my Dropbox for syncing. On the iMac (10.12.6) there is literally only ½ the preferences that are available on my laptop (10.12.6)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• deeks
    deeks
    Community Member

Very interested to hear from Agilebits if this option from exists..it is a dealbreaker for me if Dropbox sync is abandoned.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

The user synchronisation options still exist in 1Password 7 (WLAN, Dropbox and iCloud) for those with standalone 1Password 7 licences. However, if you also use the 1Password.com subscription service (which effectively handles all synchronisation for you) and you wish to synchronise another local vault using the user synchronisation options you need to go to 1Password 7 > Preferences > Advanced and check Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts.

Stephen

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @raroche and @deeks! @Stephen_C's advice is correct -- if you want to use local vaults (standalone) in conjunction with a 1password.com account, you'll need to check the box he mentioned, above. When you do that, you'll need to create a new Master Password for your standalone setup. Let us know if you have any questions.

• BHF
    BHF
    Community Member

I am a newbie with a 1Password 7 Families subscription on several Mac computers, an Android tablet, and Android and iPhone phones. My wife and I have noticed that if one of us creates and shares a new 1Password vault on one computer, the other of us sees it pretty much instantaneously.

I notice posters are asked to list their Sync version, but I have been baffled by this. @Lars and @Stephen_C , are your comments telling me I don't have to worry about syncing? Is there a standard way of expressing that in my Version Information section?

Thanks!

--Nick (BHF)

============
    Version Information

1Password 7
    Version 7.0.6 (70006000)
    AgileBits Store

1Password Chrome Extension Version 4.7.2.90

macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.5

Sync version: Confused about this...

• @BHF,

Correct, sync is a core part of 1Password membership and is handled by the 1Password.com service. Your “Sync Type” is 1Password.com. :)

Ben

• BHF
    BHF
    Community Member

@Ben,
    Thanks!

• You’re welcome. :)

Ben

• joeshepard
    joeshepard
    Community Member

Boo hiss that "1Password 7 > Preferences > Advanced and check Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" isn't mentioned in the transfer instructions. Spent 2 hours flailing around with this. All worked when I checked that but man, what a pain.

ARRRRRRRRGH!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2018

Welcome to the forum, @joeshepard! I'm sorry for the trouble. I'm not sure what you mean by "transfer instructions," but the reason that's not a part of any of our available steps for upgrading to 1Password 7 for Mac is because there are a very limited number of circumstances under which it might be required. If you have standalone data in 1Password 6 for Mac and you install 1Password 7 for Mac, it zip up the older version, install the newer one, import your existing 1Password 6 for Mac data and offer you the purchase options screen:

If you choose the license purchase option in the window, then your data will be migrated to a standalone setup that includes the option to sync your data. If you choose to create a 1password.com account, then your data will be migrated to that instead, and you won't get the manual sync or local vault options because you'll have an account. If you install 1Password 7 for Mac for the first time, you can choose the option to "create standalone vault" - like this:

Did you have a different experience?

• BluesBrother1980
    BluesBrother1980
    Community Member

I'm confused. When I initially upgraded to 1Password 7, I somehow managed to wind up with two vaults: Primary and Personal, which seemed to have roughly the same contents. I queried the forum, and was advised that I could delete one of the vaults, so I deleted Primary and now only have Personal, which has all my entries in it. 1Password seems to work fine on my Mac (now on Mojave 10.14, and 1Password has been granted Full Disk Access and Application Access).

I think I'm on the "membership" plan (as opposed to a standalone license), and in Preferences, I have no syncing option (I understand that this is "normal" with the subscription plan. However, when I create a new password on my IOS devices (iPhone and iPad), it never shows up on the Mac. It appears that syncing is not occurring between the IOS devices and the Mac.

What am I doing wrong, and how can I get this straightened out? Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@BluesBrother1980 - "Personal" is the vault in your 1password.com account. When you create a 1password.com account, that's the main vault. In a standalone setup, "Primary" is the default vault that's created when you install 1Password for the first time. If you had an existing standalone setup (with a Primary vault) and then created a 1password.com account, your existing data in Primary would have been copied over into the Personal vault. You would then have been given an opportunity (and urged) to remove the now-redundant local Primary vault. If you chose not to remove the Primary vault, you would have been left with what was - at that moment - two identical sets of data (since one was just copied into the other).

As time progresses from that moment, however, if you keep both vaults, it's entirely possible you may have been saving/editing data in both vaults. Since it's hard for me to say which vaults/data might be on which of your devices, and it's probably best not to discuss the details of your specific setup in this public forum anyway, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

—iOS—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?ios

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics emails before sending them:

[#JVE-77625-923]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @BluesBrother1980 only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: JVE-77625-923

• golftragic
    golftragic
    Community Member

When I needed a very recently added password from 1Password on my iPhone I found it wasn't there. OK on both my iMac and iPad Pro. Further investigation and reading this forum thread has pinpointed the problem, iMac and iPadPro vaults are Personal, iPhone vault is Primary, presumably a 'leftover' from a previous version of 1Password. I'm unsure of how to resolve this issue and get the iPhone on to a Personal vault. Do I hit 'Sync Additional Vault'? That seems to be the only available option but don't want to run any risks and wipe my data. I very much hope someone here can help me, I've run out of ideas.

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2020

@golftragic

The Primary would be leftover from your sync set up prior to a membership, if you had one. Is your membership vaults on the phone now? No, you would not need to Sync additional vault.

I would add your account to the iPhone, and then compare the vault against the one on your other devices. Sorting by date added may help with that. Locate any items, not in your account, and copy them to the membership vault. Make sure all of your data uploaded to your account by checking https://my.1password.com and verifying the data is present. Once that is done, you can remove the Primary from the device.

https://support.1password.com/move-copy-items/

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#ios

• golftragic
    golftragic
    Community Member

Sorry to sound ignorant, but to sign in on my iPhone the first thing I'm asked for is my Sign-in Address. What is that please? I know my Secret Key and the rest of the data inputs needed, but don't know what Sign-in Address is.

• Hi @golftragic

The sign-in address would be on your Emergency Kit, but it is universal for all individual and 1Password Families memberships:

my.1password.com

1Password Teams and 1Password Business accounts may use a different sign-in address that would've been chosen by the person who created the membership. If you don't have your Emergency Kit, and my.1password.com doesn't work, you may need to check with the person in your organization who manages 1Password. I hope that helps. :)

Ben

• golftragic
    golftragic
    Community Member

Thank you very much, that's worked perfectly and everything is now synced. Great relief. Very impressed with the prompt and helpful advice from this forum. Big tick of approval.

• Thanks for the update and for the kind words, @golftragic. :) If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• bananenbrot
    bananenbrot
    Community Member

Hey there,
    I also have some sync issues. I am on the subscription plan, synchronizing my personal vault via 1password.com between three devices (Laptop, iPhone, iPad).

I am also syncing a primary vault on my laptop to my iPad using iCloud. Somehow I can't get sync my primary vault to my phone. I already switched to iCloud, because I learned that snyc via wifi (as I did before) only works between two devices. Is it the same for synchronization via iCloud, dropbox or any other service as for wifi? I could imagine that but for some reason my iPhone apps settings don't even show any synchroization option ...

Thank you so much for some advice.

• @bananenbrot

We don't recommend that users use two syncing methods. It's an advanced configuration and can cause confusion just as you experienced with data on one device and not another. There is no need to use WLAN for your syncing needs while you are using a membership. Your data will sync over wifi to your account. When you have a 1Password account in use, the sync options are not shown because 1Password handles all syncing configurations. No user-configurable settings exist.

I would recommend on moving all of your data to your account and then removing the Primary vault.

How to remove the Primary vault.

If you have any questions please ask.

• sjebling
    sjebling
    Community Member

Hello, I’m having similar syncing issues and am SO FRUSTRATED! I have 2 devices, iPhone and MacBook Pro. I downloaded 1Password 7 from the App Store to each device 3 days ago. I’m within my 30 day free trial, but purchased the $35, year subscription that will be charged 12/13/20, expecting that I could work easily from either device. I set up the iPhone first. After the fact, I read I should have started with the Mac. After adding lots of data, log-ins, notes, etc., I realized the iPhone was working properly, but the Mac was not. The data transferred easily between the two devices, but the Mac didn’t recognize any of the websites or log-ins or credit card. After hours and hours of frustration and then research, I realized my Mac had no “sync” icon in my 1Password, preferences. Both devices have a personnel vault only. How can I get my Mac to sync to iCloud? I have hear 1Password is excellent, but I’m not feeling it yet. Would it help me and my circumstances to go to 1Password>preferences>advanced>allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password?? I feel like deleting everything and finding something else...

• Hi @sjebling

They shouldn't be syncing with iCloud — they should be syncing with 1Password. There is no sync tab in preferences when doing so. We'd be happy to help sort out what is going on here. To help facilitate that I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/577645/#Comment_577645
    • Your forum username: sjebling

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• sjebling
    sjebling
    Community Member

Thank you SO MUCH Ben. I have sent both reports as instructed above.

• Thank you! We've received your reports and will be in touch with further soon.

Ben

ref: RXE-23639-443

• mnkyby66
    mnkyby66
    Community Member

I am a license holder. I also no longer see the sync. option when on my Mac. Mac is Big Sur. Version of 1Password is 7. What I mean by that is that I see the Sync tab within the Preferences window. But I believe there used to be a "Sync Now" option to force the sync. if I happened to add something to my phone and it wasn't showing up. I do see "Sync Now" on my iPhone however. But as example, I added something to my phone and then went to my desktop. The item wasn't showing on my desktop. I had to disconnect from iCloud, then reconnect and it came over. I believe I used to be able to force the sync with the "Sync Now" option. Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mnkyby66:

On 1Password for Mac, unless I am mistaken, I don't believe there was a Sync Now button before. But a quick way to force a sync on 1Password for Mac is to lock and unlock the app ;)

• chrs
    chrs
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

Sorry, but this is very confusing — How does one migrate their backup from a standalone 1Password 6 license to a 1Password.com account?

Installing 1Password 7 deletes your 1Password 6 app and vice versa, so I have to go through hoops to format my vault (which is encrypted and created by 1Password) in your new system and the only migration step I could find was a CSV file, which is probably not what you'd want to send unencrypted through your browser.

Also I followed all the steps, setting up the 1Password 7 App, and the steps told me that it would ask me to migrate my data, but this never happened. I now realize it is because you think I upgrade from a 1Password 7 standalone license to a 1Password.com account, which isn't the case.

To me this seems like a total disconnect and makes migration process very difficult; Not to mention the lack of documentation about this. I think it could be much clearer.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@chrs:

How does one migrate their backup from a standalone 1Password 6 license to a 1Password.com account?

You can find the instructions for that here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I now realize it is because you think I upgrade from a 1Password 7 standalone license to a 1Password.com account, which isn't the case.

What is your scenario instead?

This discussion has been closed.