1Password 7 made duplicates of every login.

wsnover
wsnover
Community Member

I upgraded to 1Password 7 and now I have two of every login. Any way to get rid of the duplicates?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• bigdad13
    bigdad13
    Community Member

Yeah...that. Same here. I did not see the "how to migrate" before I did the membership thing. I went from the last Version 6 update version to the new Version 7 (1Password Version 6.8.8 (688001) Mac App Store). I initially had purchased the app and was going for the membership thing and found duplicates after I did.

Mac OS 10.13.5
    Sync via Dropbox

• sonenthal
    sonenthal
    Community Member

Yep, just did the same thing when I noticed that m dropbox was unlinked, wow, I now have over 600 entries, thanks :(

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

Hi there everyone, and sorry you're running into troubles with duplicates! If you've just migrated to a shiny new 1Password account, you'll want to delete your old ("Primary") vault when prompted, after confirming that all your data has safely copied over to your new Personal/Private vault. You can delete a vault by switching to it then pressing 1Password 7 (in the menubar) > Delete vault [vault name].

If you're worried about losing data (maybe you've been adding new items to your Primary vault since everything was copied over to your new vault), you can use our new Duplicates finder. In your Primary vault, CMD-A then move all your data to the vault you'd like to keep (like Personal/Private in your new account), then switch to the vault you're keeping and go to Help > Tools > Clean Up Duplicate Items.

Let me know if you run into any trouble or have further questions we can help with :)

• bigdad13
    bigdad13
    Community Member

OK...Henry...or whomever... I have been a bit ragged lately and I have not tried to 'clean up' anything...but...in the mean time, my 1Password account is a mess. I seem to have two vaults now ("Primary" and "Personal)...and everything looks different on every device I try to access my stuff. I use 1P on my MacBook Pro, my iMac, my iPhone, my iPad and a Windows laptop. It 'seems' as though each one has a slightly different look and even different data. On top of this, I am sure that I have added / changed passwords in one or another set of data / vault.

I know that all of this is my fault...and I am hoping you could guide me in cleaning up the mess I have created. Please.

• Hi folks,

If you have both a Primary and a Personal vault the Primary vault should be deleted. Please double check first that all of your data is accessible in the Personal vault. Also please double check that you are able to sign in at https://my.1password.com as once you delete the Primary vault 1Password will only unlock using the Master Password of your membership. Instructions for deleting the Primary vault can be found here:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

I hope that helps!

Ben

• bigdad13
    bigdad13
    Community Member

In process of removing "Primary" vault. Thanks, Ben.

Now I am going to have a bunch of duplicates. The suggestion of "Help-> Tools-> Clean up duplicate items" does not seem to be there...

I am getting closer though! ;-)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bigdad13 - unless you moved your previous items into your 1password.com vault(s) more than once, removing the Primary vault should solve most if not all of the "duplicates" issue. The All Vaults view makes it look as if you have duplicate items (which I suppose technically you do, though they are in separate vaults), so once you remove Primary, check to see what things look like.

• bigdad13
    bigdad13
    Community Member

Lars,

Yeah...I messed up the whole migration thing. I have a ton of duplicates and I may have edited data since the "migration error". When you do the "clean up duplicate items", does it automatically find the most recently updated and keep that as the "unique record" after you delete the duplicates?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bigdad13 - if you're still seeing those duplicates after having deleted the Primary vault, then you'll need to remove them either manually or using the tool. However, 1Password is VERY conservative with your data; if items are not an exact match, they won't be flagged as duplicates, because may users often have multiple very similar-looking logins (or server records, etc) for the same domains/IP addresses, etc. You'll unfortunately be stuck manually making those comparisons for items that aren't "matches." On the upside, you only have to do this once, and when you're done, things should be smooth sailing from there on out. Good luck! :)

• bigdad13
    bigdad13
    Community Member

Lars: Great info on the conservative nature of 1P. If I 'hear' you correctly, if it is a duplicate, it is a duplicate in every way shape and form. So any of the items I have altered in any way will not be tagged as a duplicate...so...I can 'trash' the duplicates without fear. That is very helpful.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bigdad13 - Yep! Feel free to ping us with any questions or problems you might run into -- though our ability to assist you with what the "correct" version of your data will be limited, since we're not (and shouldn't be) familiar with the actual contents.

• zebra0mussel
    zebra0mussel
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

I also have two vaults (including numerous duplicates) after the upgrade from v6 to v7. I read the comments above about copying all of the "Primary" vault items to the "Personal" vault, cleaning up duplicates on the "Personal" vault and then removing the "Primary" vault. Where is the "Personal" vault stored?

Would it be possible to have the "Primary" vault (sync'ed to Dropbox) continue to be my one and only vault? That's how I was using v6.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@zebra0mussel: A Personal/Private vault is part of a 1Password.com account. It sounds like you signed up for that, copied your data there, but then kept both the original vault and the account new one you just copied everything to. That's why you're seeing "duplicates". If you don't want the account, you just need to sign out of it in Preferences > Accounts. Otherwise, if you do want to keep it and take advantage of the benefits of a 1Password.com membership, you can disable local vaults in Preferences > Advanced to remove the Primary.

• zebra0mussel
    zebra0mussel
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

@brenty: thanks for the quick reply. Is it possible to go the membership route but continue to sync my one-and-only vault to Dropbox?

Could I just empty my "Personal" vault (first ensuring that everything has been moved to my "Primary" vault)?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

thanks for the quick reply. Is it possible to go the membership route but continue to sync my one-and-only vault to Dropbox? Could I just empty my "Personal" vault (first ensuring that everything has been moved to my "Primary" vault)?

@zebra0mussel: That's certainly technically possible, but I have to ask: why would you want to do that? You'd just be making more work for yourself, and eschewing many of the benefits you'd be paying for as part of the membership.

• zebra0mussel
    zebra0mussel
    Community Member

@brenty: specifically which of the benefits would I miss out on? I assume change roll-backs? Any others?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@zebra0mussel: Yes, I think you mean item history. Then also automatic offsite backup, seamless sync, Travel Mode, account recovery, multifactor security options, simple secure sharing, and the web interface, of the top of my head.

This discussion has been closed.