Can't set up 1Password 7 with local vault from version 6

russelldavis
russelldavis
Community Member

I've been using v6 with a local vault. Just downloaded v7 from https://1password.com/downloads/, and when I run it, it shows a setup screen that says "We found 1 account on your Mac". This is an old account that I removed from v6 a while ago (and no longer even shows up there).

There's a "Don't have an Account?" link at the bottom left, but when I click that, it just reloads the exact same "We found 1 account on your Mac" screen. I'm stuck without a way to load my local vault.

Not a good upgrade experience. Can you help?

Thanks,
Russell

1Password Version: 7.0.4 (70004001) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @russelldavis! Sorry for the trouble you're experiencing. You've hit an unusual edge case in our setup/migration to 1Password 7 for Mac. If you just want how to fix it, here it is:

• Quit 1Password 7 completely.
    • Open Keychain Access (located inside the Utilities folder inside your Applications folder on your Mac).
    • Type com.agilebits into the search bar, and you'll see a list of all items relating to 1Password.
    • Locate all items which say b5 credentials and control-click them, then choose "Delete" from the pop-up menu. Do this for all instances of b5 credentials you find.
    • Re-launch 1Password 7 for Mac.

You should be at the same screen as before, but now the window should now show you zero accounts. If it still shows you accounts, that means you missed some in Keychain Access; go back and delete them. If it says "zero accounts," then clicking the back button at the lower left ("Don't have an account?") should work now. You'll be sent to this screen:

From there, you'll want to choose the option to purchase a standalone license, since 1Password 7 for Mac is a new purchase for everyone unless you bought your version 6 license on or after March 27 of this year. At the next screen, choose the license purchase option. 1Password should launch, showing the lock screen. Entering your Master Password should show you your standalone data, and also open a window to our FastSpring store where you can purchase a new license for 1Password 7 for Mac.

If you'd like a little more technical background, the reason this happened is that a while back, we started storing credentials for 1password.com accounts (not the Master Password, of course, but the sign-in URL and email address, etc) into iCloud keychain. This was so that if you use multiple Macs or iOS devices, that account credentials would be already available for you if you install 1Password onto those devices. No need to scan paper printouts of emergency kits, just enter your Master Password and go! We began doing this in about March of 2017, in 1Password 6 for Mac. I'm guessing (no, I'm virtually certain) that your previous account was added into 1Password 6 for Mac on your Mac sometime AFTER March of 2017, and so the fact that you had an account was captured in iCloud keychain.

Where it became an issue for you during the upgrade is that, with the 1Password 7 for Mac setup flow, people are either new users or previous users. If they're previous users, they either had standalone data, 1password.com data or both. So, the 1Password 7 for Mac setup flow looks for both the presence of existing standalone data and existing 1password.com accounts. If you have standalone data only, a new standalone license is required to use 1Password 7 for Mac. But if you have a 1password.com account, the new version (1Password 7) is included with your membership. So in your case, the setup flow saw you had an account, skipped the Welcome (purchase options) screen because you your account entitles you to 1Password 7 for Mac at no extra charge. But you really don't have an account, so you get stuck in this loop. To fix it, as I said above, just remove the credentials in Keychain Access, and relaunch 1Password 7 for Mac. Let us know if you have any troubles with this, and apologies for the inconvenience. :)

This discussion has been closed.